cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking email through relay servers

fllond

Apologies if it's an FAQ, but I've been unable to find the info.
I have had several complaints that emails sent from my domain via the PN relay servers haven't been received. It's not every email.
Is there a way to track what happened to an email once it's been passed to the PN relays? I'd like to find out if it's a setup issue at the recipient's end.
TIA.
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Re: Tracking email through relay servers

Try putting yourself as a copy to an extrenal address (eg. hotmail or whatever) you could look at the headers. Otherwise this question may be better in the IronPort forum.
HTH.
fllond

How do I track a legitimate email through the relay servers to prove that the issue lies with the recipient's server? PN say that the likelihood of a legitimate outbound email being silently dropped is very low in other threads.
I have had complaints regarding non-received emails which is costing me money.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

PUG Moderator's note:
Thread temporarily locked since it is was cross posted.

Please do not post the same question in different forums, this wastes resources, causes confusion and is against the Forum Rules.
The forum moderators have merged your original thread (which includes a response) into this one since, as Anotherone suggested, it is a more appropriate place for the question.
David (spraxyt)
Edit: updated text after merge and reopen.
David
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

[Moderator's post by Jim (Oldjim) Threads merged and  unlocked ]
fllond

@spraxyt
Berk. It was suggested (quite rightly) I posted here as it was a more appropriate place so I did.
@Oldjim, thanks for merging.
As to the forum rules, obviously as I posted in the wrong place (and how the hell was I supposed to know that the "Iron port and email development" forum was better than "community support"Huh), I corrected my initial mistake by posting in the appropriate place, so eliciting a block from spraxyt was completely counter-productive and provided no assistance at all, (as does this rant).
Yes, I'm rather peeved that my legitimate emails *could* be being blocked by PN; I pass them in good faith through the relay servers and therefore expect that they be attempted delivery to their destination. If, as has been suggested elsewhere, there's a possibility that they are dropped then I NEED TO KNOW WHY. It is not acceptable to throw away emails at source: someone else's analogy of "what if the postman collecting from the postbox just tore up some of the letters?" is highly appropriate here. Email is a legitimate and necessary business technology, and if PN are throwing away my correspondence then they may shortly be paying for my loss of business.
So back to my original question: How can I track an email through the relay system to ensure it was attempted delivery to its destination?
Anotherone's suggestion is good, but doesn't go far enough to answering the question. Yes, I can do some tests as suggested, but that still doesn't help as to why some emails never seem to get to their destination, and doesn't rule out the possibility that the email is being eaten at source.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I have never seen a suggestion that delivery of outgoing mail will vary according to the target server. If you CC yourself at Google, hotmail or similar and that arrives it is almost 100% certain that it is the recipient's server that is blocking the mail. Have you spotted any pattern to the email addresses that get through and those that don't.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
fllond

Thanks - Not spotted any pattern yet. The problem with cc-ing yourself at hoogle-mail or whatever is it's not particularly professional, but I do take your point. I suppose a bcc would work just as well.
However, I have elicited the help of one recipient that didn't receive an email with some test messages. Will see what becomes of it.