cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam started again?

WNewall
Dabbler

Spam started again?

When the change to Ironport was made, all spam appeared to be blocked - I didn't receive any spam messages for a few days. So, it seems that Ironport was recognising all spam and blocking it.
From today or yesterday however, I seem to have started getting obvious spam messages coming through (and that are being recognised by my mail app as spam).
Has something been deliberately changed that means the spam processing is now letting through things that it didn't previously?
9 REPLIES
Fixes: 46

Re: Spam started again?

Have you checked the Spam Filtering setting in Manage my Mail on the Spam tab to make sure filtering is still turned on.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
I see dead Parsnips.
pengyou
Grafter

Quote from: WNewall
From today or yesterday however, I seem to have started getting obvious spam messages coming through ... Has something been deliberately changed that means the spam processing is now letting through things that it didn't previously?.

If you have catchall enabled then the answer might be that there was a bug that resulted in some email (probably spam?) disappearing. This bug was fixed on Thursday afternoon (4 December).
Until that bug was fixed no spam whatsoever reached my inbox after I was migrated to IronPort but since then I have had a handful of spam messages.
See: http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,6482.msg82216.html#msg82216
WNewall
Dabbler

Yes, I've got catchall turned on, so maybe that is why I've started getting some spam coming through now - thanks pengyou.
I can't seem to logon to the usergroup.plus.net forum area to post there, (why are there these 2 seemingly separate forum areas anyway?!) so...I'll ask in this thread:
It's extremely unclear, but from reading http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,6482.msg82216.html#msg82216 it appears that for a period of time, inbetween fixing one problem and fixing the problem that that fix created, that (if you had catchall on) mails to addresses that weren't defined as mailboxes were being silently deleted.
Is that correct? If so, it doesn't inspire confidence with this whole process does it. For an ISP to have lost emails is a pretty serious situation, for which I would have expected a more serious response until the problems are properly sorted out.
Is there somewhere where PlusNet have formally and clearly apologised/explained when that very serious situation occured?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If you look at the time period over which emails were being lost and then compare it with the timatable in http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,70240.0.html you'll find that relatively few active accounts were affected - I think that explains the lack of a huge reaction.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Also it's only spam messages that would have been discarded. Though this could include false positives the number of those is expected to be much lower with IronPort than with Postini. From posts in this forum there is no suggestion that the issue was a major problem.
David
pierre_pierre
Grafter

thats being a bit naive Spraxyt, we have over 400000 members of the group, we have less that 10 000 forum member, but how many active, and a lot dont use the Usergroup forum, let alown read the Service status.
So to expect to see comments on here except from people like me - well - they like me dont know what is missing
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

It's extremely unclear, but from reading http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,6482.msg82216.html#msg82216 it appears that for a period of time, inbetween fixing one problem and fixing the problem that that fix created, that (if you had catchall on) mails to addresses that weren't defined as mailboxes were being silently deleted.

Messages that were identified as spam and destined for catch-all mailboxes were not getting delivered. The problem existed between 1st Dec and 4th Dec and is believed to have been almost entirely limited to the delivery of spam messages. There is a slim possibility that it may have affected the delivery of some genuine mail however this won't have been the case with the vast majority of customers.
I'm sorry if you were one of the customers affected by this.
Quote from: pierre_pierre
So to expect to see comments on here except from people like me - well - they like me dont know what is missing

Do you still think you have genuine email going missing Pierre?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

essexboy
Grafter

Has something been deliberately changed that means the spam processing is now letting through things that it didn't previously?

Yes but probably nothing to do with either Ironport or F9..
In the early part of November the  2% of spam let through by postini to my inbox was a fairly steady 2.5-3k a day and had been at that level for a while.  At about this time the biggest spamming scumbag in the world lost his intenet access and spam levels for the whole planet dropped by a factor of 4 or 5.  For me this meant a daily delivery reduced to somewhere around 5-600.  A week or so after this F9 started the process of moving us from postini to Ironport and the spam dropped steadily over the course of the next few days to a few dozen and for a week or so settled there.
Despite what we may think of the criminal low life infecting our inboxes they are in it for the money and in many respects conduct their seedy business in ways very similar to those of reputable companies and .this includes taking advantage of seasonal markets. There is no way the criminals are going to turn down the opportunities to con us during the run up to Christmas and given that the biggest villain of them all has lost better than 10% of his annual turnover in the last month I expect he will be doing all he can to make up for those losses in the next few weeks.
Whether this particular rise in spam in the last couple of days is due to the criminals finding a new home with another service provider  or doing deals with others in the business to share resources is a question that will only be answered in the future but right now it means a significant rise in trash reaching your inbox and is exactly what you should expect as they try to make back the money they have lost. in the last month or so.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

@ Bob
Quote from: pierre_pierre on Today at 12:06
Do you still think you have genuine email going missing Pierre?

As you know Bob, I am still not sure, might find out next week.
That was an answer to Spraxyt who said no comments on forum, so no problem  with only 9800/400 000 Plus on forum and not many of them active