cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam filtering for my SMTP mail

pacesd

Spam filtering for my SMTP mail

Hi
New user as of today, so I haven't fully found my way round the site/forums, so I'll begin by apologising if I have posted this in the wrong place, if it is a repost, or even if the answer is posted on a news page somewhere.
I have just transferred my domain and connection in from Demon (boooo!) and all is setup and running well.
Our mail is forwarded straight to our Exchange server via SMTP.
We use McAfee Groupshield in Exchange for virus protection, and McAfee Spam Killer as spam protection. Both these products are 'flakey' and cause regular reboots of our servers(although I accept that the fact that we still use Windows 2000 server and Exchange 2000 doesn't help, but as our server generally runs smooth we don't want to change it just yet and 'break' it by upgrading).
Ideally I'd love to use the spam and virus services that PlusNet offer on POP3 mail, but I understand this isn't currently available on SMTP mail. From what I read on the site, there are plans to implement some kind of service to do this soon, but when I rang customer Services to enquire about this, they didn't know if/when it would be implemented, and advised I posted on here to ask.
So, my question is, will there be a service (like Postini) offered by PlusNet for SMTP mail, and if so when?.
Thanks
4 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Re: Spam filtering for my SMTP mail

Hi there and welcome to the forums,
I'm sorry to say that the implementation of such a feature is not on our immediate roadmap at the moment meaning that I'm unable to give you a date as to when (if?) this will happen. There are services out there that will allow MX relaying though.
Whilst not affiliated with us in anyway, a personal recommendation of mine would be Tuffmail who I've a lot of praise for.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pacesd

Thanks for your reply.
I've had a look at who you suggested and the prices seem very reasonable. I've mailed them some questions, but I'm hopeful that they'll be able to give us what we need. If they do then I'll update this post later on to let everyone (who may be interested) know.
Cheers.
Moderator's Note: Welcome to the forums, and hopefully your first post provided a useful response. However please note that we find full quotes of the previous post make the forums harder to follow so I've removed this [Forum Rules]. David (spraxyt)
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

John Capo who seems to run the support for Tuffmail (if not the entire operation) has always been helpful when I've emailed him questions.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pacesd

Just a quick update on the situation.
Took a 30 day free Tuffmail trial, and signed up in full after a week.
We managed to get our incoming mail count down from approx 15,000 mails a day to around 100, which has had a visible impact on our connection and our server.
We get full logs on what is rejected for us to monitor, and the control panel is instant and easy to use.
Thanks for the recommendation - I'd certainly recommend them to everyone else.