cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Filtering and SMTP forwarding.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Spam Filtering and SMTP forwarding.

I have my mail set to use SMTP forwarding to push it to my own server. Spam filtering is greyed out with the following message:
[tt]
Spam Protection
As you have SMTP enabled for mail delivery, we are unable to perform spam checking on your domains.
If you wish to use our spam checking please switch back to POP3/IMAP mail delivery.[/tt]

On another thread (http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,78162.0.html) Bob Pullen said:
When a customer switches off spam filtering two things should happen:
    * MX records are changed to point to mx.core.plus.net and mx.last.plus.net (so email bypasses the IronPort anti-spam appliances).
    * A flag is changed in the mail database so that email sent from the outside directly to mx.core.plus.net/mx.last.plus.net is accepted (when spam filtering is on it is rejected as everything should get sent via IronPort).

My domain is hosted on JTN and I forward my email to my pn account.
If I look in the headers for incoming email I see:
[tt]Delivered-To: steve1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plus.com
Received: from relay.ptn-ipout01.plus.net (relay.ptn-ipout01.plus.net [212.159.7.35])
(using TLSv1 with cipher RC4-SHA (128/128 bits))
(No client certificate requested)
by tty.org.uk (Postfix) with ESMTPS id 4F0C5A4A16B
for <steve1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.plus.com>; Wed, 29 Jul 2009 14:16:23 +0100 (BST)
X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Filtered: true
X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Result: ApoEAKvob0rVomGh/2dsb2JhbADEFAiQBQEFgkQIgUU
Received: from just-the-name.co.uk (HELO mail.just-the-name.co.uk) ([213.162.97.161])
  by relay.ptn-ipout01.plus.net with ESMTP; 29 Jul 2009 14:16:22 +0100[/tt]
So where are the IronPort headers coming from. This would imply that although spam filtering is disabled email is still going through the filters.
2 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Re: Spam Filtering and SMTP forwarding.

My comments from that thread refer to email sent to our *inbound* mail delivery platform. The IronPort references in the headers you have posted are from our *outbound* mail delivery platform.
The spam controls on the portal are only applicable to *inbound* email.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Spam Filtering and SMTP forwarding.

Ah, so it skips them on the way in but the outbound is delivering it to my server (which is seen as being outside to PN) so it gets passed through IronPort
That makes sense.
I'm not complaining about it as it means I dont' need to run dspam locally.
Thanks for explaining it.