cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snail-mail beats SPAM

EmpireCad
Grafter

Snail-mail beats SPAM

I just received a letter through the post from an online share dealing site that I use advising me that I had not looked at an important "corporate action" advice which they posted on their site for my attention.  They inform users to look at these advices via email.
I was transferred to the Ironport system on 5 Dec and the "corporate action" notice was placed on the site (and the email sent to me) around 13 Dec.
The letter confirms the correct email address that they used and suggests that I should review any SPAM filters applied to my email.
My email settings are SPAM filtering on, mark as [-SPAM-] and send to my master inbox.  I also use McAfee Security Centre which does the same thing, sending marked SPAM to a dedicated SPAM sub-folder of my inbox.
Because of these setting (ie I get all spam to check anyway) I presume that is why I cannot see a SPAM folder in my webmail?
Can anyone advise where I might look to see if the lost email has somehow been intercepted and stored somewhere?
Thanks in anticipation.
16 REPLIES
EmpireCad
Grafter

Re: Snail-mail beats SPAM

PS I just created a SPAM folder in my SquirrelMail to check.  It was empty as were all the other folders.  I don't use Webmail and all mails get sent through to my Outlook Express.  So as not to confuse things I have now unsubscribed from the Squirrel SPAM folder.  I hope this will save a step or two in resolving the problem.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Unsubscribing from the spam folder won't change anything.
If you want to stop using the spam folder you have to change the settings in Manage My Mail (found in Email Settings on the portal).
In there go to the Spam tab.
In the section How would you like us to deal with messages identified as spam? you will probably currently have Move to the Spam Folder (Recommended) . You need to change that to Move to Inbox.
In the section above you should have Add [-SPAM-] to the subject line (Recommended) selected.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and then if you are lucky it might get through in future, Some of us think that legitimate mails is just dumped by Ironport, some is returned to sender Angry Sad
EmpireCad
Grafter

Quote from: EmpireCad
My email settings are SPAM filtering on, mark as [-SPAM-] and send to my master inbox.  I also use McAfee Security Centre which does the same thing, sending marked SPAM to a dedicated SPAM sub-folder of my inbox.
Because of these setting (ie I get all SPAM to check anyway) I presume that is why I cannot see a SPAM folder in my webmail?

@ jelv
Errrr.... what you are suggesting I need is exactly what I have and have always had...see quote.  But thanks for replying anyway on Christmas Eve.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Try edge filter off, spam on,    it can take 48hours before you see the result,  if you are happy with the filtering done by Macafee, you could turn spam completely off
EmpireCad
Grafter

Thanks pierre_pierre
I had SPAM filter ON level 2 (now reduced to level 1) and edge filtering on (as recommended).  Frankly I never understood edge filtering but just followed the rec.
If this IronPort thing starts to lose genuine (and important) emails, I think I will just turn it off completely and leave it to McAfee.  But I thought the whole point of getting SPAM just marked up as such and put in the inbox anyway always left me to sort things out.  By having SPAM filtering ON at any level, does this mean that some messages are just getting hidden away without the chance to see them?  If so where do they go?
EmpireCad
Grafter

Just been reading some other posts on this forum and see comments about not being able to get into the IronPort quarantine folder.  Can someone please explain what this is, do I need to look at it, and if so, how?  Apologies if I'm being a bit dim here but we are not all techies.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Logging in to quarantine only applies if you have the last option selected in How would you like us to deal with messages identified as spam?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
EmpireCad
Grafter

Thanks, jelv:  understand that now.
Thanks, pierre x 2:  switched off edge.
Also put the share dealing domain in the white list.
Still got no idea where that pukka email went though!
Better pack it in now.  Christmas decs to put up yet.
Happy Yuletide to all.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

You can check the reputation of the email sender's addess by entering its domain name in the IronPort SenderBase Look up your network: box .
Now that you've whitelisted the sender's domain future emails should get through.
David
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: EmpireCad
I just received a letter through the post from an online share dealing site that I use advising me that I had not looked at an important "corporate action" advice which they posted on their site for my attention.  They inform users to look at these advices via email.

It was www.iii.co.uk wasn't it?
I bet the important corporate event was totally unimportant (in this case).  Smiley

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

If relevant to the OP, the SenderBase reputation for all iii.co.uk's mail relays is "good".
David
mikeb
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
I bet the important corporate event was totally unimportant (in this case).  Smiley

Well ... if we're running a book then I'd put my money on it being HSDL and the reason for mail being lost is forward and reverse DNS not matching Wink  Not that I'm so sad that I've been poncing around checking for potential problems with my normal regular messages just to see what is likely to happen should the unlikely event of me having a moment of complete and utter madness occur and I allow anyone to 'manage' my mail for me of course Tongue  Mind you, you're almost certainly 100% correct about the relative (un)importance of said lost message(s) going by the vast majority of "mega-important corporate action that requires my immediate attention" notifications that I receive !
I've not seen it mentioned anywhere but I'd like to know what the PN/ironport policy is regarding DNS checks and also for RFC compliance checks and so on. My (limited) tests show that ironport allows some totally outrageous RFC non-compliances through which Mr.Spammer apparently makes good use of but deletes/rejects some totally legitimate and quite innocent mail for the most dubious of reasons. 
EmpireCad
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil

@axisofevil
Yes it was iii.  No, it was important.
Quote from: spraxyt
If relevant to the OP, the SenderBase reputation for all iii.co.uk's mail relays is "good".

@spraxyt
I just checked for myself and it only came up as "neutral".  FWIW.
Quote from: mikeb
Mind you, you're almost certainly 100% correct about the relative (un)importance of said lost message(s) going by the vast majority of "mega-important corporate action that requires my immediate attention" notifications that I receive ! 

@mikeb
To be fair to iii, I only ever receive valid and relevant "corporate actions" emails for shares that I do really hold through iii and which do need some action on my part.  That is I've received them up to now (pre-IronPort).
@anyone
Since some on here recognise the terminology and presumably use iii themselves, did anyone receive the LLOY/HBOS email on or around 13 December from iii?