cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roundcube - what's happening?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Roundcube - what's happening?

[quote=http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/11/04/ironport_technical/#more-12961]
IronPort & the Future of the Email Platform
November 4th, 2008 at 18:00 by Bob Pullen
Webmail & Roundcube - Replacing SquirrelMail with Roundcube.
Back in 2007, we launched a Webmail solution based on the popular SquirrelMail. Whilst Squirrel has proved to be perfectly adequate as a Webmail client, I don’t think anyone would disagree with the fact that it hasn’t got the prettiest of user interfaces? It’s also not the best at handling large volumes of email and all too often customers can encounter errors when trying to access a particularly large mailbox or folder. We never intended for SquirrelMail to be a permanent solution and since it was originally deployed we’ve been looking at alternatives.
<snip>
Missing from the list above is a tidy little webmail solution that goes by the name of Roundcube. Roundcube’s somewhat of a newcomer on the webmail scene but it’s fast gaining popularity and is just the sort of thing that we’ve been looking for.
Roundcube offers everything that our current Webmail platform does, has a nice, clean web 2.0 interface, is open source, easily deployed, and more than capable of dealing with large volumes of email.
Over recent weeks we’ve been trialling Roundcube with members of staff and a small number of closed BETA trialists. Feedback so far has been really good so we’re aiming to launch a fully-fledged BETA trial early next year. As soon as we have more detail about this it”ll be published right here on Community so watch this space!
It's no longer early next year - so when is the BETA trial going to start?
Is there a hidden forum somewhere being used by the closed BETA trialists? Could any of them post their experience?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
4 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Re: Roundcube - what's happening?

Yes there is a hidden RoundCube Webmail Trial forum in the UserGroup section which was being used by Closed Beta trialists. However the Closed Beta trial was suspended in mid-October due to insufficient availability of support resource.
The v0.2-beta platform on which the trial was based is now well behind the official releases (0.2-stable and 0.2.1 bugfix) and (realistically) these would need to be installed before the trial continues. Timescales for restarting have yet to be announced. One quite major task that Plusnet need to do is a security audit on the package.
As far as experience is concerned, I would say comments have been mostly favourable though some bugs and annoyances were identified and some necessary features were yet to be completed.
David
David
kennion

Just signed up to plusnet. Disappointed with the limited squirrel mail but was encouraged to see Roundcube was being trialled as, for one popular reason, images can be inserted into e mail. This post is, as far as I can see,  the last comment on the subject. Any further progress to either include some of the buttons found at the top of this reply page or including the likes of Roundcube,
Thanks,
Ken
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

The situation with RoundCube remains as stated in my previous post in this topic, though it has been mentioned occasionally in later posts in these forums. One example is here.
David
David
N/A

One annoying thing about RC is that the logon page will not hold ISP selection - OK if you are with Plusnet as that is the default but I have to select Force 9 every time I log in.
However, this is better than it was because at least the username and password is now remembered in Firefox (at first I had to input these at every visit).
The interface is clean and straightforward and settings are pretty much the same as Squirrelmail.
You have to double click to open mail (I am used to single click for everything). This is probably necessary because when you delete multiple emails you can only do it by holding down the shift key and selecting them i.e. there is no tick selection box.
One thing I don't like about it is the text wrapping - the lines are far too long and you have to scroll across to read the message. Have reported this and others have seen the problem.
It is something that can be annoying, particularly if it is a longer than normal email.
From the point of view of ease of use for dyslexic people,  Gary has made interesting comments. I think that it would be useful to hear how visually-impaired people fare with it.
On the whole, it has great promise and it is a shame that at least people aren't been given the option to use it. My web host company allows me to use SM, RC or Horde - I have the choice.
I tend to go to SM because am used to it but RC does have much going for it.