Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renaming 'Edge Protection'

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Renaming 'Edge Protection'

Afternoon all,
Following plenty of discussion over recent weeks in this forum and the fact that IronPort handles 'Edge Protection' differently to how Postini did, we're looking to rename it.
I've not done a comprehensive search but some of the comments in my post here describe what 'Edge Protection' does now under IronPort.
In a nutshell:
Under Postini all incoming email was first sent to the Postini proxies. Whilst some will have been outright rejected for breaking certain email server conventions, most of it will have been accepted. If you had 'Edge Protection' on then Postini applied what they called 'Blatant Spam Blocking' - This bounced any email Postini thought to be definite spam by rejecting it with a 571 error. Only those messages that passed these initial checks were forwarded on to our delivery platform. Ideally we would have had this option on by default and not had a configurable option (IIRC this is how it was to begin with). Unfortunately the number of false positives meant that customers were seeing valid mail bounced, so we provided an option on the portal to turn it off.
IronPort doesn't have an equivalent setting to Postini's 'blatant spam blocking' so we had to approach it a little differently. We didn't really want to remove the option from the portal during the migration as we wanted to keep things 'like for like'. Under IronPort all incoming email is sent to the IronPort servers (assuming you have spam filtering switched on). IronPort then performs a 'Senderbase' lookup whether you have 'Edge Protection' switched on or not. It's at this point that most spam email is rejected with a 550 error. Messages that pass these initial checks then undergo further analysis. If you have 'Edge Protection' switched on and IronPort is fairly  confident that the message is spam, then it is *silently discarded*.
Because of the way things now work 'Edge Protection' isn't really an appropriate name. It's proposed that we now call it 'Delete Blatant Spam' or 'Automatically Delete Obvious Spam' or something like that.
What do people think?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Renaming 'Edge Protection'

Bob,
I would suggest that the explanation needs inserting between "Spam Filtering Off" and "Delete Blatant Spam" to say that spam from known spam sources will be rejected with a link to the information on Senderbase.
This setting can then correctly be described as a second more aggressive level.
I also wonder if the default and recommended setting for this should be off. Reading your explanation I would have thought that the correct way for a person to proceed would be to monitor the emails they receive tagged as spam (or quarantined) for a period, and then if no genuine emails are misidentified to change the setting to on.
As we've seen the occasional reports of genuine email failing this test I wonder if "blatant" is too strong. I also wonder if "discarded" as in your explanation is better than delete. So my suggestion is Discard Obvious Spam
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: jelv
I would suggest that the explanation needs inserting between "Spam Filtering Off" and "Delete Blatant Spam" to say that spam from known spam sources will be rejected with a link to the information on Senderbase.
This setting can then correctly be described as a second more aggressive level.

The link to the Advanced Protection Guide explains things pretty well. I've attached what the content guys are proposing that will link to.
I also wonder if the default and recommended setting for this should be off. Reading your explanation I would have thought that the correct way for a person to proceed would be to monitor the emails they receive tagged as spam (or quarantined) for a period, and then if no genuine emails are misidentified to change the setting to on.

I also wonder this Wink I've had no objections to the suggestion so it's definitely something I'm going to look at getting done.
As we've seen the occasional reports of genuine email failing this test I wonder if "blatant" is too strong. I also wonder if "discarded" as in your explanation is better than delete. So my suggestion is Discard Obvious Spam

I like it. We'll give it a day or so to see if there are any objections/other suggestions and then go from there.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

ChrisL
Grafter

I have 'edge protection' turned off.  I still get no spam to my catch-all address (at least, with one alias blackholed). One of my mailboxes gets two or three spams a week. I know my experience will not be typical, and others will have much more email arriving through plusnet, but the percentage of spam getting past the SBRS is tiny.  I can't help thinking that 'edge protection' -- whatever you call it -- is now totally redundant. It would save a lot of misunderstanding, or difficult explanation, if we just got rid of it.
Why not alter the aggressiveness test so that Spam 1 copes with everything now dumped by 'edge protection'?  The fact that nothing would be silently dropped must be a good thing, surely, and I'm willing to bet that nobody will notice any increase in their spam folder or quarantine.
Chris
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Worthwhile comments Chris and certainly worth consideration. Updating the support content and renaming the feature is pretty trivial compared with what you're suggesting though. I too would like to see the back of the 'Edge Protection' option (along with an overhaul of MMM - but that's a different story! Wink )
At the moment we've only got limited resource to look at this so I think the more complex solutions might have to wait until the next time we do some significant work on this area of the Member Centre.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

ChrisL
Grafter

Fair enough, Bob, then my vote is with jelv -- to have Discard Obvious Spam *off* by default.
BTW, the words 'edge protection' appear in your proposed Advanced Protection Guide!  I think the last line might be better as: "If you find that legitimate email is being discarded, you can solve the problem by turning this feature off, or by adding the sender's address to your whitelist."
Chris
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

My thoughts on this (some cribbing from previous replies acknowledged) are as follows:
1) Re-title "How would you like us to deal with spam?" as "Should spam filtering be enabled?"
2) Follow the On/Off settings with "Note: With spam filtering enabled emails sent from mailservers with a bad SenderBase reputation will be rejected and bounced back to the sender. Emails that pass this first check are scanned and given a spam rating. What happens then depends on the settings which follow.
3)  Adopt "Discard Obvious Spam" as the replacement for "Edge Protection". Make "Off" the recommended setting for this.
4) Move the current "Note" to after the On/Off settings and change it to say "Note: This setting is for advanced users. If you are unsure as to what this does we recommend you leave it 'Off'. Check our Spam Protection Advanced Guide for more information.
(Italics used to mark text that will be hyperlinked)
Though one doesn't want to technically overload the settings page I'm keen the explanation in 2) is included (rather the delegated only to the Advanced Guide) since it covers a fundamental principle of IronPort's strength and explains where over 95% of the spam goes to. I did wonder about including a percentage number in the note but that probably is too much information.
David
David
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: spraxyt
2) Follow the On/Off settings with "Note: With spam filtering enabled emails sent from mailservers with a bad SenderBase reputation will be rejected and bounced back to the sender. Emails that pass this first check are scanned and given a spam rating. What happens then depends on the settings which follow.

That's exactly the sort of thing I had in mind with my comment in the first reply to this topic. It needs to be very clear to people that just by turning spam filtering on, irrespective of other settings, some emails will be rejected and never appear in an inbox/spam folder/quarantine.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: spraxyt
1) Re-title "How would you like us to deal with spam?" as "Should spam filtering be enabled?"
3)  Adopt "Discard Obvious Spam" as the replacement for "Edge Protection". Make "Off" the recommended setting for this.
4) Move the current "Note" to after the On/Off settings and change it to say "Note: This setting is for advanced users. If you are unsure as to what this does we recommend you leave it 'Off'. Check our Spam Protection Advanced Guide for more information.
(Italics used to mark text that will be hyperlinked)
Though one doesn't want to technically overload the settings page I'm keen the explanation in 2) is included (rather the delegated only to the Advanced Guide) since it covers a fundamental principle of IronPort's strength and explains where over 95% of the spam goes to. I did wonder about including a percentage number in the note but that probably is too much information.

That sounds perfectly reasonable to me so we'll go with something along these lines unless there's any last minute objections?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

That is a big improvement and along the lines that I was thinking.
Community Veteran

Not many people participating in this thread !.
I don't have any in depth knowledge, so I have kept quiet and just read with interest.
Grateful thanks to the people who have offered advice, and of course to Bob.
My only comment is what do the huge majority of PN customers do and what advice are they given?.
I've not recently read the PN help pages on the subject, but I hope some very plain language advice is offered.
As one of the earliest volunteers to be switched to Ironport, I can just say that my spam has dropped a little ( it was never bad ), and to the best of my knowledge I have not lost any valid emails - well from friends and colleagues that I regularly talk to anyway.
many thanks guys
Mal
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

I can just say that my spam has dropped a little

Mine seems to have dropped to almost zero. Having read this thread a while ago, I actually tried turning Edge protection off to see what effect it had, and it made no difference, still very little spam...
Community Veteran

Well just to clarify, I didn't have a lot before either  Smiley - but it has dropped to just a few a week.
But to directly answer Bob's question - I think Edge protection would not mean much to many people - so I think the change of name is helpful.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The name change and alteration to the help files etc. should go live later on today (if not tomorrow).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Good news. Thanks for the heads-up.
David