cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remotely relayed messages being rejected with 'MTA's poor reputation'

tater

Remotely relayed messages being rejected with 'MTA's poor reputation'

I now have problems after the change over to IronPort.
I use a remote data logger that monitors power consumptions at a customer's site. This sends email to a computer that uses ArgoSoft's free email server to relay messages via PlusNet back to me. This used to work well, but this morning - it all stopped.  The errors on the ArgoSoft server are something like this:
09/12/2008 14:22:11 - [    6] Trying the server mx-ironport.core.plus.net: 84.92.2.97
09/12/2008 14:22:11 - [    6] 554-mx.ptn-ipin02.plus.net
09/12/2008 14:22:11 - [    6] 554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.
09/12/2008 14:22:11 - [    6] Fatal SMTP error relaying the message to server mx-ironport.core.plus.net: 84.92.2.97: 554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.
09/12/2008 14:22:11 - [    6] Trying the server mx-ironport.core.plus.net: 84.92.2.65
09/12/2008 14:22:12 - [    6] 554-mx.pcl-ipin01.plus.net
09/12/2008 14:22:12 - [    6] 554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.
09/12/2008 14:22:12 - [    6] Fatal SMTP error relaying the message to server mx-ironport.core.plus.net: 84.92.2.65: 554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.
09/12/2008 14:22:12 - [    6] Fatal SMTP Error: 554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation. If you believe that this failure is in error, please contact the intended recipient via alternate means.. Will bounce back
What do I need to do to get back up and running?
Thanks for any help!
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Remotely relayed messages being rejected with 'MTA's poor reputation'

Which ISP is the remote sending computer connected to?
I would consider finding out if you can use their outbound mail server to "smarthost", "smartserver" or "relay" your mail through.
It seems like the Ironport boxes are filtering (fairly correctly) mail that originates directly from an "End User" IP address that does not get passed through a primary mailserver somewhere.
HTH
B.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Quote from: tater
What do I need to do to get back up and running?

IronPort is refusing email from the Argosoft IP address due to it's poor senderbase reputation. The solution would be to smarthost messages destined for your Plusnet address through the SMTP server of the ISP the ArgoSoft server uses to relay messages. (ie. send the messages using the ISP's mail server and don't send them directly from the IP address of the broadband line).
The other option would be to turn spam filtering off on your Plusnet account which would result in all email bypassing the spam filters.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

tater

Thanks Guys for all your suggestions.
I'll try and get the mail sever details from the customer for the 3 network.
Thanks for your prompt replies.
-------
Dave
prichardson
Grafter

3 as in Three, as in the mobile network?
If so, according to the mail account I use it is smtp.three.co.uk
tater

Hi Phil
Thanks for your help. I'm using smtp-mbb.three.co.uk and all is working again.
Thanks again  Smiley
--------
Dave