cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redirects - How long to be established on Ironport ?

xpcomputers
Grafter

Redirects - How long to be established on Ironport ?

I've just set up a redirect from a Plusnet hosted domain to a Hotmail account, and am wondering how long it takes to go live on the Ironport database? I've received the notification email, that the redirect has been setup. I've waited for a few hours, but all tests are still being rejected:
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
  new-redirect@domain.co.uk
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<new-redirect@domain.co.uk>:
    host mx-ironport.core.plus.net [84.92.2.65]: 550 #5.1.0 Address rejected new-redirect@domain.co.uk
------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------
<snip>

The MMM setup page says to wait for 30mins, but I'm guessing it must take longer than that (unless it is just a freak tonight). In which case the question is how long is reasnable for this to take? AND, can the MMM tool be updated to give a reasonable expected time delay before the redirect comes into use on Ironport.
Thanks
Mike
10 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Re: Redirects - How long to be established on Ironport ?

Hi Mike, it really shouldn't take much longer than 30 minutes TBH. Is it still broken and if not how long did it take before you were able to successfully use it? Am going to set up a redirect on one of my accounts now and see how long that takes...
Edit: OK, it's been 30 minutes now and we're not up and running yet Sad
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:
  newredirect@bobpullen.force9.co.uk
    SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<newredirect@bobpullen.force9.co.uk>:
    host mx-ironport.core.plus.net [84.92.2.97]: 550 #5.1.0 Address rejected newredirect@bobpullen.force9.co.uk

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The redirect now appears to be working, so perhaps we need to review the 30 minute thing?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

xpcomputers
Grafter

I think it was onger than two hours for me. I'll try to remember to check tomorrow.
Mike
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I raised an internal problem to look into this because taking an hour or longer isn't really acceptable (ref: 5442Cool.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Capvermell
Grafter

Just following up on this thread most of the secondary variants of my me@myplusnetdomain.plus.com email addresses on my non Catch All mailboxes are achieved by redirects and not aliases.  So for instance me2@myplusnetdomain.plus.com is achieved via a redirect from me2@myplusnetdomain.plus.com to me@myplusnetdomain.plus.com and not via making me2@myplusnetdomain.plus.com an alias of me@myplusnetdomain.plus.com.  The reason I have things set up this way is purely because my Plusnet email account is six or seven years old (I was once a Plusnet 0808 dialup customer in pre broadband days) and in those days when i set most such things up Plusnet only offered redirects and not aliases if my memory serves correctly.
Since I am a free account customer I do not now intend to use Quarantine any more (because I cannot get access to the whole Ironport Quarantine folder unlike the Postini Quarantine folder for reasons that do not seem very clear) and am now using the IMAP spam folder.  However am I going to experience any issues with my secondary, tertiary etc address variants on certain mailboxes being redirects instead of Aliases?  Are there any advantages in altering them to aliases instead of the current redirects and if so what is the downtime after I delete the redirect and before the Alias in the same email address variant takes effect?  In view of above experiences of other forum members with delays in redirects taking effect am I best off making the change at say midnight when hardly any crucial email will be arriving and your system has all night to catch up?
If I use aliases instead of redirects am I simply lowering the resource overhead for Plusnet in running these secondary email addresses on one mailbox (I assume an alias just drops directly in to the mailbox and does not have to be readdressed) or are there other benefits I will get in terms of quicker email arrival or in terms of how the Ironport spam filtering and/or quarantine system operates?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Capvermell
Since I am a free account customer I do not now intend to use Quarantine any more (because I cannot get access to the whole Ironport Quarantine folder unlike the Postini Quarantine folder for reasons that do not seem very clear) and am now using the IMAP spam folder.  However am I going to experience any issues with my secondary, tertiary etc address variants on certain mailboxes being redirects instead of Aliases?

No, I don't envisage you will have any problems.
Are there any advantages in altering them to aliases instead of the current redirects and if so what is the downtime after I delete the redirect and before the Alias in the same email address variant takes effect?

I'd allow up to an hour for the change but you're unlikely to see much benefit from doing this to be honest,
In view of above experiences of other forum members with delays in redirects taking effect am I best off making the change at say midnight when hardly any crucial email will be arriving and your system has all night to catch up?

If you decide to make any changes then this is probably a good idea.
If I use aliases instead of redirects am I simply lowering the resource overhead for Plusnet in running these secondary email addresses on one mailbox (I assume an alias just drops directly in to the mailbox and does not have to be readdressed) or are there other benefits I will get in terms of quicker email arrival or in terms of how the Ironport spam filtering and/or quarantine system operates?

The benefit is mainly ours. It's a 'cleaner' way to do things but is unlikely to make much visible difference from where your sat.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

xpcomputers
Grafter

Bob,
I just checked my logs. I set up the new Redirect at 23:10 and was still getting mail undelivery reports at 03:10 (3 hours later)... then I went to bed!
I'm not sure what time the mailbox eventually went live. So the answer to how long a re-direct takes is an unknown amount over 3 hours....
Mike
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I think it's easier in MMM with aliases to see what's going on: on the alias tab you see all the aliases listed under their parent mailbox.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: xpcomputers
I just checked my logs. I set up the new Redirect at 23:10 and was still getting mail undelivery reports at 03:10 (3 hours later)... then I went to bed!
I'm not sure what time the mailbox eventually went live. So the answer to how long a re-direct takes is an unknown amount over 3 hours....

Thanks Mike. We've had some problems with LDAP replication recently that I think might have been the cause of this. Things seem a lot better now. I set up a redirect about five minuters ago and it's working already!

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

xpcomputers
Grafter

Glad to hear it.
Mike