cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quarantine questions

Community Veteran

Quarantine questions

Firstly, thanks Bob for the detailed blog post and the more technical forum post - it's good to be able to have an accurate idea of what's actually going to be happening to our e-mails. However, as one of those 500-odd quarantine users (I'm surprised there're so few of them!), I have a couple of questions:

• Will the summary notifications be able to be sent to a user-specified address (i.e. not just the mailbox the summary pertains to)? This would be necessary for one person in a household to 'filter' the spam of another user - e.g. parents filtering for their kids, or in my case, me filtering for my mother.

• Would it be possible to implement a method of logging on like the current Postini quarantine where one log-on shows you all spam sent to that domain? Or even if there was one log-on for all mailboxes on all domains that'd be fine. I ask as I have quite a few mailboxes, and I like to check the quarantine for all of them every couple of days - doing so with a separate log-on for each mailbox would get quite tedious!

52 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Quarantine questions

I use the Postini quarantine mainly because Plusnet never ever got to grips with totally accurate interpretation of the Postini scoring - it was always a fudge.
In MMM spam settings there is the option Move to an existing Mailbox. If you created a special mailbox you could set all your real mailboxes to forward spam to that one mailbox, which is close to what we want. The one downside is that you can't then just click "deliver" - you'd have to move the email to the inbox of the correct recipient using IMAP - but I'm not sure if that would be trapped as spam again - I don't think it would.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Quote from: Be3G
Will the summary notifications be able to be sent to a user-specified address (i.e. not just the mailbox the summary pertains to)? This would be necessary for one person in a household to 'filter' the spam of another user - e.g. parents filtering for their kids, or in my case, me filtering for my mother.

Unfortunately Be3G, I don't think this is going to be possible. The summary reports are sent to the email address that the quarantined messages were intended for.
Would it be possible to implement a method of logging on like the current Postini quarantine where one log-on shows you all spam sent to that domain? Or even if there was one log-on for all mailboxes on all domains that'd be fine. I ask as I have quite a few mailboxes, and I like to check the quarantine for all of them every couple of days - doing so with a separate log-on for each mailbox would get quite tedious!

This isn't possible at the moment either I'm afraid Sad
The reason for the change is due to the architecture of the IronPort platform and in particular the LDAP schema it's based on. Things work at a mailbox level as opposed to Postini which works on a domain level.
Quote from: jelv
but I'm not sure if that would be trapped as spam again - I don't think it would.

No, it wouldn't.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

Hmm Ok... so far not so good then. In light of your answers, I therefore have a couple more questions: will it be possible to customise the frequency of the summary e-mails, and will it be possible to turn the summaries on/off for individual mailboxes?
It looks like this new system is going to require quite a change in how I go about dealing with spam, hence the questions. I'm certainly glad you're leaving the quarantine users 'til the later batches of migrations!
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

will it be possible to customise the frequency of the summary e-mails

That's something that's set the same across all accounts that choose to use quarantine, at the moment it'll be sent at 6am.
, and will it be possible to turn the summaries on/off for individual mailboxes?

Unfortunately not, it's a global setting.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

Oh - do you mean to tell me that any account that uses the quarantine will have to receive the summary e-mails whether they want them or not?
(This isn't a rhetorical question by the way; I'm just trying to clarify the meaning of what you said - specifically, if 'global' means all mailboxes on one account or all accounts full stop.)
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Oh - do you mean to tell me that any account that uses the quarantine will have to receive the summary e-mails whether they want them or not?

Yes, that's right. It's a global setting and cannot be configured on a per-user basis. This is one of the first features we're going to ask IronPort to consider for a furture development build. It's worth noting that Quarantine emails don't get sent if you haven't actually had any spam sent to you in the 24 hours previous.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Community Veteran

Well, all my mailboxes get daily spam (thanks to you-know-what). So, the new quarantine system will be absolutely useless to me. Great.  Angry
Community Veteran

Oh *!*!!** - just realised something.
What happens with quarantining where MMM has it as a redirect to a mailbox on another ISP? They're going to have to log in to the Plusnet quarantine system. Until now I've checked the quarantined spam and delivered it if needed from one Postini Message Centre login per domain.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Well, all my mailboxes get daily spam (thanks to you-know-what). So, the new quarantine system will be absolutely useless to me. Great.  Angry

You can release the emails directly from the summary reports you get. You don't have to physically browse to a URL and log into each mailbox separately.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Community Veteran

I realise that... basically, I use the quarantine for two reasons at the moment. One reason is to prevent as much spam as possible from arriving in my actual e-mail accounts; this is particularly important as I have an iPhone which syncs my mailboxes using IMAP - so the more e-mails it has to download, the longer one of those syncs takes. The second reason, then, builds upon the first, in that it's particularly important to try and prevent my mother from catching sight of much spam as it really annoys her (plus she pays the broadband bill, so isn't particularly impressed that PlusNet resulted in her getting inundated with spam.) I was therefore hoping to continue using the quarantine to 'filter' her spam e-mail as I have done with Postini, but she won't want to be e-mailed every day detailing all of her spam - she'll only think that itself is spam.
Community Veteran

What about children? The point of someone else getting the spam notifications and checking the quarantined emails is to keep the nastier stuff as far away as possible from them.
Now you are telling us "You can release the emails directly from the summary reports you get.". We can't have the quarantine reports sent elsewhere so they are going to be delivered direct the the kids mailbox, and one inquisitive click and the spam is delivered as well!
Come on. Is Plusnet actually concerned about keeping this stuff away from kids or are you just giving it lip service?
At present spam is being totally diverted with an astonishingly high level of accuracy to the Postini Message centre. Until you have a better solution than that proposed I'll stay on Postini thankyou!
Community Veteran

I've just read the updated support pages:
Quarantine Spam
Choosing this option will mean that anything tagged as Spam will be quarantined, see our Spam Protection Advanced Guide for details on how to use the quarantine system.
This option is particularly useful as a parental control. If you have children with their own mailboxes, you can view any quarantined messages and decide if you want those messages released or not.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've just read the updated support pages:

We'll get that changed when we do the next update.
I realise that... basically, I use the quarantine for two reasons at the moment. One reason is to prevent as much spam as possible from arriving in my actual e-mail accounts; this is particularly important as I have an iPhone which syncs my mailboxes using IMAP - so the more e-mails it has to download, the longer one of those syncs takes.

Could you not have spam delivered to your 'Spam' folder and configure your iPhone not to subscribe to that particular folder?
The second reason, then, builds upon the first, in that it's particularly important to try and prevent my mother from catching sight of much spam as it really annoys her (plus she pays the broadband bill, so isn't particularly impressed that PlusNet resulted in her getting inundated with spam.)

Again, could you not achieve a similar thing using the 'Spam' folder?
What about children?

Unfortunately, that's one feature that we're going to have to forfeit when we move across to IronPort. With the wealth of options the Manage My Mail tool now has, we've done pretty well to retain most of its functionality TBH.
Come on. Is Plusnet actually concerned about keeping this stuff away from kids or are you just giving it lip service?

You could achieve a similar thing by having the spam delivered to separate mailbox. If you set up IMAP access to all the accounts you manage you could then drag and drop messages between folders. Not as convenient I know, but still a viable option none-the-less.
At present spam is being totally diverted with an astonishingly high level of accuracy to the Postini Message centre. Until you have a better solution than that proposed I'll stay on Postini thankyou!

We'll not be able to continue offering Postini as an option once our contract with them expires I'm afraid.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Community Veteran

Well this is the thing Bob. What I need to do can still be done using PlusNet's e-mail system (albeit not in the ways you suggested as I'm unable to unsubscribe from individual folders), but it'll no longer be possible using the quarantine - hence my earlier statement that the new quarantine system will be completely useless to me. So, seeing as the quarantine is and has been the most convenient way to manage my mail (hence me using it on Postini), that annoys me, because under IronPort I'll have to jump through hoops instead, making it a downgrade as far as I'm concerned.