Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peculiar download

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Peculiar download

I dont know if it should go here
I had a very peculiar happening yesterday 22nd
I  always look at my mail boxes via Thunderbird and IMAP, I looked at one and in fact copied the text to the Chit Chat.  I then went to Outlook express and down loaded all mail to my PC.
The mail I had just looked at disappeared, but another from the same person turned up that wasnt there when I looked via IMAP, both posted about the same time.  No sign of the lost mail anywhere, looked in the dumped boxes on IMAP as well
6 REPLIES
techguy
Grafter

Re: Peculiar download

When you open a message via IMAP, doesn't message content get downloaded and removed from the server?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yup, resolved now, dont know where the new one came from, but eventually found the lost one in SWMBO in box Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: techguy
When you open a message via IMAP, doesn't message content get downloaded and removed from the server?

No - that's the point of IMAP, it's a client/server relationship. Are you familiar with Exchange because it is similar to that - you can use Outlook or OWA and they stay in sync.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
techguy
Grafter

Hi jelv
Yep am familiar with Exchange as work e-mail system is Exchange based but for home always been a POP3 man.  Smiley
My understanding was IMAP downloaded a list of messages and would only download the body when opened.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Quote from: techguy
My understand was IMAP downloaded a list of messages and would only download the body when opened.

Yes, that is correct but having downloaded the body it does not go on to delete the message from the server.
David
techguy
Grafter

As I said never used it so was a guess.