cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook Express - cannot send or receive - No 'Account' folder

fulbourn
Grafter

Outlook Express - cannot send or receive - No 'Account' folder

For the last few days I have been unable to receive or send emails through Outlook Express. 
Outlook Express tries to send/receive but times-out sayin it cannot connect to free-online server.
I have had to resort to Hotmail.
The 'Account' folder under 'Tools' in OE has vanished, too.
Please can somebody sort me out?
23 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Outlook Express - cannot send or receive - No 'Account' folder

That sounds rather broken.  If the accounts button has dissapeared from the tools menu it wouldn't surprise me if Outlook Express was having a bad time of things.
I'd suggest using a different email client or uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook Express.
fulbourn
Grafter

Thank you for such a speedy response!
I would like to delete and reinstall OE but cannot find where to do so!
I've looked in Add/Remove programs but OE is not listed.
I don't know where to find OE to try a reinstall either.
I'm not much cop am I? But I've been trying for three days.
Terry
James
Grafter

Terry,
If I might make a suggestion, have you contemplated trying to use a different email programme?
Most of us here use a programme called "Thunderbird".
http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/
If you need any help setting up your email account using Thunderbird, please give us a shout.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Outlook Express is part of the Windows operating system and I don't think it can be installed/uninstalled separately.
When you click Tools within OE if the drop down menu differs from that shown in the attachment it does sound rather broken. You might be able to repair it using the procedures described in Microsoft articles An Outlook Express basic repair kit and (from a link near the bottom of this) How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer in Windows Vista and Windows XP.
Note: I haven't tried any of the procedures described in the articles, just found them courtesy of Google and thought they looked promising.
David
David
fulbourn
Grafter

Thanks once again.
I looked at the email program you suggested but it frightened me witless!
I prefer the simplicity of OE.
I reinstalled Internet Explorer 8 but OE remains without an Account folder under Tools.  No working advice to be found through Google.
I presume the settings haven't changed from:              mail.free-online net
Thank you for trying.
I guess I've stumped everybody with this one.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Outlook Express is part of Internet Explorer 6 (both being part of Windows), so maybe the solution (as inferred in the links I provided) is to go back to IE6 and repair that, then upgrade to IE8 again.
David
ChrisL
Grafter

Just a thought -- are you logged on to your computer as an administrator?  If not, that just might explain why you have no access to the Accounts dialogue boxHuh
fulbourn
Grafter

I took your advice and removed IE8 and installed IE6 (which upgraded itself to IE7).
The Account folder is still missing, though.
I'm logged in as Administrator.
Thanks for your great effort in trying to help me.
paulby
Grafter

Have you followed the steps on Microsoft's web site here?
I looked at the email program you suggested but it frightened me witless!

Thunderbird is just as simple to use as OE - it'll set everything up for you with a wizard when you install it. There's help for setting it up on PN's site here.
It would probably be quicker and easier to install Thunderbird than trying to repair OE!
Edit: If you move to TB you can import all your information from OE - see here.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Just to be absolutely clear, you mean that the menu entry 'Accounts..' which is normally just above 'Options...' at the bottom of the Tools drop down menu is missing? - (this is what you appear to be saying in your original post)
Or do you mean that the entry in the 'Internet Accounts' box for this mail account is missing (make sure you have the 'mail' tab selected - or 'all').
fulbourn
Grafter

Yes - that is correct:
the menu entry 'Accounts..' which is normally just above 'Options...' at the bottom of the Tools drop down menu is missing.
Nothing comes after 'Options ... '
I'm sorry that I was unclear.
Terry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

No, you weren't especially unclear, if it had been the second instance there may have been an easy fix.
As it is, if a re-install hasn't fixed it, it sounds like a registry bug. If you are 'frightened witless' by Thunderbird, you won't want to poke about in the registry - a definite no-no for most anyway.
The solution may be a System Restore but first the question one needs to ask is why this happened. You probably won't know and may not discover, but first thing to do is run a full system virus check and spyware check.
Have a think, what were you doing between the last time it worked and when you discovered it didn't work? Did you install or uninstall anything? Did you go to any websites you don't normally go to or Receive any dodgy e-mail?
If you can pinpoint any of those things, then caution to be observed if you need to do any of them again.
Try and be sure of the most recent date when it last worked.
Once you are happy that you are clear of any virus or spyware etc. do a system restore back to the nearest date just before it last worked.
If you'd done any updates between then and now you may need to do them again.
fulbourn
Grafter

Thank you once again for a thorough reply.
I've tried all your suggestions - virus and spyware checks and registry checks using a variety of well-known programs and System Restore.
No improvement!
This may be helpful:
I receive quite a lot of Spam butI no longer receive any marked as 'Spam'.  Everything comes through to my Inbox.
I have not been able to Run the command 'regedit' from the Run box for about the same length of time as the 'Accounts' problem.
However, I can Run 'msconfig' and command.com from the Run box.
Does any of this help you? 
Incidentally, I do like your Menu system above the smilies.
Fixes: 101

what happens when you try to run regedit - does it reload explorer (as in your task bar etc)?
Will Moderate For Thanks