cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obvious spam

qwentyman
Grafter

Obvious spam

I get regular emails, which I report as spam, in which the subject line is in upper case, in a language which I do not recognise, maybe Turkish (?).
Surely the system should pick this up as obvious spam? Cry
6 REPLIES
ChrisL
Grafter

Re: Obvious spam

Forwarding them as attachments to spam@access.ironport.com should eventually do some good, even if they don't all come to you from the same place.  As for the rest, how can the system tell you aren't Turkish with friends who shout?  Wink
Anyway, hope you get clear of the spam before long.
Chris
pierre_pierre
Grafter

as usual the two experts cant agree where to send it, 
Quote from: spraxyt
Have you forwarded it as an attachment to spam@spamtraining.plus.com?

can we have a correct place from PN as is usual nothing on their site
Quote from: jelv
http://www.plus.net/support/security/spam/reporting_spam_emails.shtml
However:
This page last updated 28th October 2008

So it may not be right. Were we not given an Ironport/Senderbase email address?
ChrisL
Grafter

Hi pierre_
The thread quoted by jelv has Bob Pullen explaining why the access.ironport address will work, while the spamtraining.plus address might not.
See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,73076.msg586225.html#msg586225
I don't know whether the work that needed doing to make the spamtraining.plus address good was ever completed.  So it makes sense to report false positives to ham@access.ironport.com and false negatives to spam@access.ironport.com .  Don't ask me why the support information was never updated -- I guess more urgent problems intervened.
Chris

pierre_pierre
Grafter

how about on the Webmail, the two buttons spam and not spam?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

I believe there are still 7 out of 22 mx.cores left to rebuild as in.mxes now. Until that work is complete forwarding spam/notspam messages to spamtraining has just over two-thirds chance of the messages ending up with IronPort (the other third go to an unmonitored address).
Sending the messages directly to IronPort as advocated by ChrisL should be 100% effective so is the best approach.
The webmail spam/notspam buttons use spamtraining so currently have a two-thirds chance of a successful report.
David
David
qwentyman
Grafter

How extraordinary! I usually collect mail via Pegasus, and am totally disinterested with the ghost in the machine behind it all. If there is spam I belatedly found that I could go to webmail and press the spam button, blissfully unaware that this is more or less useless. I have always been 100% pleased with plusnet, but I think they can do better than this.  Crazy
Btw, the nearest I have been to Turkey is the excellent restaurant round the corner from the Old Vic.