cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing emails

waldron
Grafter

Missing emails

I have a 'co.uk' domain hosted by 1and1, as well as an 'me.uk' domain hosted by Plusnet.
For the past 24 hours at least, any emails sent from my 1and1 account to Plusnet hosted email addresses (including my own) have failed to arrive. Emails to other non-Plusnet accounts appear to be OK. I've sent from Windows Mail, and also from Webmail, but none of them have arrived.
I haven't made any changes to any settings.
Is anyone else having similar problems?
31 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Missing emails

What MX Record are being used on your domain?
Is it using 1and1s mail servers, or is the mail coming straight to us?
Can you set the mail to redirect to a different address and see if that works?
waldron
Grafter

James - I don't understand what you mean by MX record. My '.me.uk' (PlusNet) is hosted by Plusnet. The 'co.uk' one is at 1and1. I send and receive directly from/to each account. Yesterday I was sending to another customers Plusnet account and those didn't arrive either. I've tried sending from 1and1 Webmail to my Plusnet email and that hasn't arrived. I don't get any error messages.
I haven't changed anything, and until yesterday everything was fine.
James
Grafter

Ah - Are you saying that you're sending email @1and1account.co.uk to @plusnetaccount.me.uk and the emails aren't arriving?
Are emails from different address arriving okay or are you not getting any email to that account at all?
waldron
Grafter

Yes - emails@1and1account.co.uk sent (either by Windows Mail or by 1and1 Webmail) are not arriving in my email@plusnetaccount.me.uk. nor are they arriving in email@someoneelsesaccount.plusnet.com.
I have received emails from a Hotmail account to my plusnet account today, but most of my emails come to my co.uk account.
James
Grafter

Can you try whitelisting your 1and1 email account on your Plusnet account to see if that makes any difference at all?
waldron
Grafter

James - I've just checked, and the co.uk domain is already listed in Approved Addresses under Spam. I presume that is what you mean by Whitelisting?
I've clicked on Update Settings just to make sure.
James
Grafter

Ok - Also try turning off Blatant Spam Blocking and see the aggressiveness to the lowest level.
I just want to see if any of that allows an email to come through.  Can you try that and then send another email?
waldron
Grafter

Where do I find 'Blatant Spam Blocking'?  Is it the same as 'Discard Obvious Spam'?
Aggressiveness is already set to 1.
Do I then need to wait 30 minutes before testing again?
waldron
Grafter

Well I've now had a Mail Delivery System message for an email I sent yesterday at 16:18.
It is from mailer-daemon@kundenserver.de.  A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of
its recipients after 25 hours.
SMTP error from remote server after RCPT command:
host mx-ironport.core.plus.net[84.92.2.97]:
452 Too many recipients received this hour
Not sure what it means about too many recipients - there were only two in my email.
So it looks as if the emails are being blocked by PlusNet.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

I think the "number of mail recipients" is the sum total for all mail received from the relevant server, not just your messages. That is often an indication that the server is being used for mass-mailing. If the flood dies down and that server tries again it should be accepted.
Does that mail server forward messages to your Plusnet address? Many of what appear to be forwarding servers for that domain have a neutral SenderBase reputation which I think places them under closer scrutiny.
David
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: waldron
Where do I find 'Blatant Spam Blocking'?  Is it the same as 'Discard Obvious Spam'?
Do I then need to wait 30 minutes before testing again?

Yes, "Discard Obvious Spam" is what was meant. The name Jameseh used was an earlier proposal that was not adopted because it doesn't describe what happens - the adopted name does.
I think it is necessary to wait up to 30 minutes for the change to take effect on the IronPort servers.
Are the messages that are disappearing sent to a named mailbox (rather than catch-all)? Whitelisting doesn't work for catch-all addresses or any alias or redirect.
David
waldron
Grafter

spraxyt -
I am sending directly from a '1and1' account to my Plusnet account. There is no forwarding involved.
The Plusnet addresses (there is also a hosted domain with PN) are both catchalls, so the current outstanding problem means that whitelisting will have no effect in this case.
I have now received similar 'mail delayed' messages for 4 other tests I sent on Thursday. Two other test messages have now got through - one was delayed 6 hours, the other over 17 hours. 3 other tests are still missing.
I have now raised a Question, as I consider this a worrying problem. I have no idea how many emails from other contacts may be suffering the same fate.
Superuser
Superuser

I experienced delays earlier this week on 3 messages sent by a TalkTalk user (up to 6 hours twice, 18 hours once) . The sending servers were new ones lacking reverse DNS entries and neutral rated by SenderBase, SBRS scores came out slightly negative. My friend didn't receive any delay notifications but perhaps 24 hours delay is needed to trigger those. After a couple of days communications returned to normal though SBRS scores initially remained slightly negative. The new mail server reputations are now good (even without reverse DNS entries) and SBRS scores are back to typical 4.5 levels.
For reputation analysis could you post sanitised headers for the two messages that eventually got through?
I think the IronPort board might now be a better location for this topic - do you mind if I ask the mods to move it to there?
David
David
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm losing email sent through PN via JTN and back into PN, I was just assuming that it was IronPort eating it but maybe there is a problem with the routing again. We've had this in the past, I spent quite a bit of time working with Aaron (JTN support) on it...