Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Madasafish outbound email and IronPort

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Madasafish outbound email and IronPort

Heads up about the following Planned Maintenance post that's just been published to the Madasafish Service Status feed:
Quote from: Madasafish
Planned Outbound Email Server Maintenance - Tuesday 20th January 4:30pm-5:30pm
When's this work happening?
Today.
What does it affect?
Outbound Email delivery.
How long will it take?
About an hour.
What does the work involve?
We will be making changes to the routing of customers' outbound email so that it passes through an additional spam filtering appliance. This will allow us to reduce the volume of unsolicited email sent sent by spammers trying to abuse our email platform.
Is it likely to cause problems?
No.
Is there anything else I need to know?
This work has been sanctioned to help reduce the occasions where our outbound email servers end up on third party blacklists. In the past this has created problems for customers trying to send emails to other providers such as Hotmail, Yahoo and Comcast.
Kind Regards,
Bob Pullen
Customer Support

This isn't the same as our long term plan to replace the relay servers with the IronPort boxes - it's more a stop-gap measure to help stop the problems we have with spammers signing up Madasafish accounts and abusing the Brightview SMTP servers. At the moment we're just smarthosting outbound email for the Madasafish brands to the IronPorts and have a relatively low-level spam filtering mechanism in place.
We've longer term plans to stop this abuse of accounts for both Plusnet & Madasafish customers, however I thought I'd bring this to peoples' attention none-the-less.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

2 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Madasafish outbound email and IronPort

It didnt affect me, But glad some progress has been made Smiley
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Re: Madasafish outbound email and IronPort

Quick update. After speaking to the support centre this morning I suspect that we may have neglected to add the IP addy of the IronPorts to the madasafish.com SPF record. This means that anybody sending email to a server that checks for this may find that the message is bounced with an error similar to the following:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'212.159.7.100 is not allowed to send mail from madasafish.com (spf)'
Reporting-MTA: dns; relay.pcl-ipout02.plus.net

An internal problem is raised (54872) and we hope to have this fixed shortly.
Edit: now fixed!

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵