cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ironport two domains

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Ironport two domains

As I understand it Ironport treats me@username.plus.com separately from me@mydomain.co.uk but once it gets into the Plusnet system it all goes to the same mailbox me@username.plus.com.
If this is the case what is the effect of creating a blacklist entry for me@username.plus.com
Will this only block that address at Ironport and still allow me@username.plus.com to receive emails from me@mydomain.co.uk
Second question - does a blacklist entry with Ironport silently black hole it or create an undeliverable bounce back.
12 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Re: Ironport two domains

Quote from: Oldjim
As I understand it Ironport treats me@username.plus.com separately from me@mydomain.co.uk but once it gets into the Plusnet system it all goes to the same mailbox me@username.plus.com.

Yes, that's right. If you ignore what happens behind the scenes, it works the same way that Postini does now.
If this is the case what is the effect of creating a blacklist entry for me@username.plus.com
Will this only block that address at Ironport and still allow me@username.plus.com to receive emails from me@mydomain.co.uk

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking here? Are you asking what would happen if you added an address to your blacklist on the username.plus.com domain but not on mydomain.co.uk? If so then that sender *would not* be able to send to your username.plus.com address but *would* be able to send to your mydomain.co.uk address. Again, this is the same as it is now under Postini.
Second question - does a blacklist entry with Ironport silently black hole it or create an undeliverable bounce back.

I'm pretty sure it rejects it meaning that a bounce would be generated (assuming the email has been sent via a legitimate server and not from a compromised individual's computer). I'll double check for you though to be sure.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

Thanks Bob.
I wasn't aware that Postini did that now Embarrassed
xpcomputers
Grafter

Oldish thread, but are you guys talking at crossed purposes here?
I read Oldjim as asking: whether he can block ALL mails (eg from anyone) arriving at his mailbox if they are addressed to me@username.plus.com, but still accept emails into that mailbox if they are addressed to me@domain.co.uk (which is essentially the same mailbox, just addressed differently). I'm not sure that this is possible (either under ironport or Postini).
Whereas I read Bob's replay as meaning: If you want to block emails from I-am-spam@spammy-domain.com using the blacklist entry under me@username.plus.com will they still be blocked if the same spammer sends to  me@domain.co.uk. Since the spam settings can be set independently for each domain, then the blacklisted sending addresses are per domain (unless you use the "use for all domains" setting - but this doesn't work at the mailbox level anyway - it is still the whole domain).
Maybe Oldjim & Bob can check if I have summarised their question/answer correctly, and if so, work out if it is just me mis-understanding you both, or if you two mis-understanding each other.
The correct answer might be a mix of the two.... It is possible to reject all emails to all addresses @username.plus.com whilst accepting mails to @domain.co.uk, but it works across ALL aliases, redirects & mailboxes (including the catchall addresses if on), at the domain level (not just the "me" mailbox). This would do what I think you are asking, you would set @username.plus.com to blackhole, but this would silently drop them (I think).
Thanks
Community Veteran

That was indeed my question
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Jim, I have three official domains  Free-online, IDPS.co.ok and me.uk  I have a complete block on free-online  done from within the spam tab, there is a drop down box to either apply to All domains, or individual ones.  and it works
Community Veteran

Peter,
I could do that but I only wanted to block some of the usernames on the domain not all. If I block all then my better half would be extremely peeved.  Sad
pierre_pierre
Grafter

You should be still able to do that as the Black and white list can be different on the two domains, done the same way as above
xpcomputers
Grafter

By users, I think Jim means Mailboxes (not senders!). Jim, if you want to block one mailbox from not receiving mail at all, whilst the equivalent mailbox on the domain still receives mail, but leaving all othe rmailboxes alone, then I don't think this is possible, either under Postini or Ironport.
Pierre_pierre:
Blacklisting works per domain (not per mailbox) and is the place to put repeat offenders who send dodgy email.
@everyone:
What Jim wants to do is blackhole (not blacklist) just one mailbox (me@username.plus.com) whilst that same mailbox still receives mail from the domain (me@domain.co.uk), and username.plus.com still picks up emails to other valid mailboxes.... and this is just not possible AFAIK, (unless someone else knows otherwise).
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...
Mike
pierre_pierre
Grafter

yes you can via redirect to blackhole
Community Veteran

Goes away to set up a couple mailboxes to play with  Smiley
Have hit a problem - as far as I can tell you can't set up a mailbox or a redirect for a domain specific mailbox as the system won't allow me to set up a mailbox or a redirect for me@mydomain.co.uk only "me" with no domain so it applies to both domains  Sad
xpcomputers
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
yes you can via redirect to blackhole

You can redirect a mailbox to a blackhole.... but ALL domains that use that alias will b affected. So me@domain.co.uk will be blackholed too. The only way to handle this seperately, would be if using Ironport allows a change of heart on Pugit 295 - Hosted Domain Names - Increased Email Options. (Oldjim has already voted for this!)
This Pugit looked to be happening, but then Postini threw a spanner in the works. Now that Ironport is hosted internally, and presumably not "costed per domain", then this might be possible again. I'll give that Pugit a nudge when we get Ironport settled in properly.
Mike
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Quote from: xpcomputers
What Jim wants to do is blackhole (not blacklist) just one mailbox (me@username.plus.com) whilst that same mailbox still receives mail from the domain (me@domain.co.uk), and username.plus.com still picks up emails to other valid mailboxes.... and this is just not possible AFAIK, (unless someone else knows otherwise).

No, it isn't possible.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵