Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IronPort & Mailing Lists

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

IronPort & Mailing Lists

Some of you that have been migrated to IronPort already may already have noticed that there is no longer a 'List' tab in the Manage My Mail interface.
We found out during early testing that accounts with mailing lists on them broke after we moved them across to the new platform. Email and spam filtering was fine and you could send subscribe/admin commands to the list and receive a response, but when you tried replying to one of these responses the message was getting routed to the catch all mailbox on the the account (assuming it was switched on) instead of the mailing list software.
As an interim measure, we've implemented some LDAP routing changes that allow existing mailing lists to carry on working to a certain degree but these changes don't let you create new lists, and at the moment you have to have catch-all switched on (we're trying to fix this at the moment). It's for this reason that we're not going to migrate mailing list users until the end.
There are 1257 accounts with mailing lists - 755 have catch-all enabled, 502 have it disabled.
So basically, you'll only have access to the mailing list controls after migration if you're already using mailing lists. We still need to update the support content for this and it looks like we missed one of the links in Manage My Mail that takes you to the mailing list creation pages but this should be sorted soon.
Even assuming we do manage to completely fix lists for existing users there's a good possibility that we'll be looking to decommission the service in the new year anyway. Either that or offer an alternative (the Plesk PAYH platform has mailing list support for example).
We're still batting ideas around at the moment, but the consensus at the moment is to decommission the service. I just thought I'd give you guys visibility of this to see what your thoughts/opinions/suggestions were?
It's worth noting that this doesn't affect our My Circular or Net Announce service.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

6 REPLIES
driveconsultant
Grafter

Re: IronPort & Mailing Lists

I have a mailing list and would not like to lose it. It was one of the nice-to-have extras that swung my decision to use PlusNet a few years ago. I have noticed that mailing lists have not been well-supported, and when I have had problems they have been slow to be fixed, with few support staff knowing much about them.
I would hope that you do not remove this feature, unless you can offer an alternative that is at least as good.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Our Plesk hosting platform supports mailing lists (although it's unlikely to work with anything but hosted domains).
If there's a viable solution that will allow us to continue offering the Service for existing mailing list users then we will certainly look into this, but it's not proving simple at the moment and every time we upgrade the mail platform we find that mailing lists create us a massive headache! It comes to a point where we need to consider the support and maintenance costs versus the benefit and attraction of offering such a feature.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

Bob,
This is a real disappointment - this wasa really cool facility, which I've used to drive Church-group email lists, along the lines of Choir@church etc.  This avoids needing to know every individual's email adresses and supports individuals joing and leaving lists / groups etc.
Do any of the other tolls you reference provide facilities such as this?
This new is also quite untimely as I am in the process of moving this set-up from my personal account to the one that has been established for the church - I've not yet set up mail lists on that account yet, so we'll lose a very valuable capability.
Is it possible to redirect a "name" to several email addresses concurrently?  At least with that approach I could manually manage such a facility...
list@church.plus.com - redirect to "bill@there.com; sally@here.com; joy@somewhere.com; me@me.plus.com"
Any other alternative ideas would be most welcome.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi townman,
Have you got access to My Circular. There's a help article about it here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Simon_M
Grafter

Oh Blast - I was just about to investigate setting up a mailing list. The guy in our organisation that looks after this side of things is having problems with sending via his Zen connection, so I was about to take this job on. The lists are quite small - only about 150 on the largest, but he is having to send them in groups of about 20 at a time.
I'd better investigate what My Circular & Net Announce do.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

Quote from: Bob
Hi townman,
Have you got access to My Circular. There's a help article about it here.

Hi Bob,
Long time no speak - a bit off topic, but in the same ball-park.  I'm still having fun and games (=difficulty) with dlists.  I popped a note in this forum a few days ago hoping you or Dave T might pick it up and move a ticket forwards - see 29815538 - Aaron has started to look at this but the progress is slow.  Any chance (or point) of asking you to take a seasoned view of the issue please?
For some reason or other, I did not get back to this thread at the beinging of this year (family death) and had forgotten all about this.  I've just looked at "My Circular" and although it has some merits, its does not permit subscribers to mail to the list and have other subscribers receive that communication.  This will manage outbound email from me fine, but it does not present a means of supporting gropu communication / shared dlist.
You also noted in this thread that your hosting services offer dlist support - is there any chance that such technology will be made available within the existing PN email service platform?  This service is so close to being brilliant - though sound in concept, the dlist email function seems to trip over its own feet.
Cheers,
Kevin