Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How well does IronPort work with domains

techguy
Grafter

How well does IronPort work with domains

Hi Bob
How well does the Ironport work with domains?
As I said I'm giving some thought to pointing my domain to PN but unfortunately I get a lot of spam but thankfully my current provider runs a darn efficient anti-spam so don't have an issue but would like to eliminate a cost if I can so would like to move to PN.
Apologies for the thread veering off topic slightly.
7 REPLIES
techguy
Grafter

Re: How well does IronPort work with domains

Looking at other posts a domain just works as an alias then but I'm assuming I could create individual boxes for each alias?
Thus mail sent to alias1@domain.com could be delivered to mailbox1@username.plus.com
alisa2@domain.com to mailbox2 etc. and thus I can set the headers in my mail client to display the domain address rather than the plus one?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

For historical reasons I have in effect three PN Domains  @username.free-on-line.co.uk  @username.idps.co.uk (I Dont Pay Subscriptions) and @username.me.uk
I can and do use the same prefix to all i.e. mr@  and these all get delivered to the same mailbox mr@username.free-on-line.co.uk. 
Does that clarify how it works?
Likewise my url is only one web site but is reachable with any of the above  www.username.free-on-line ; www.username.idps.co.uk or www.username.me.uk
techguy
Grafter

Hi Pierre
Thanks for the response, was just wondering how it works with domains that are not part of PN's systems (I have a .com that I use for my mail and would also like to set up a mailbox for my parents so just wondering whether I can set up mailboxes for each domain alias
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Hi techguy,
Lets assume you don't have any domains on your Plusnet account at the moment and the only email addresses you have at the moment end with username.plus.com. You have the following mailboxes on your account:
Mailbox A = tom@username.plus.com
Mailbox B = dick@username.plus.com
Mailbox C = harry@username.plus.com
You then transfer in the domain 'domain.tld'.
Email sent to either tom@username.plus.com *or* tom@domain.tld will go into Mailbox A
Email sent to either dick@username.plus.com *or* dick@domain.tld will go into Mailbox B
Email sent to either harry@username.plus.com *or* harry@domain.tld will go into Mailbox C
Does that help make it a little clearer?
The spam filtering on your domain would be exactly the same as that on your .plus.com address although you can have different spam settings for each if you like.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

techguy
Grafter

It does thanks
One last small question, if I replied to a mail via webmail (because I was at work) could it be set up to show the domain address as opposed to the plus one (and I don't mean adding a reply field to the headers)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Options, Personal Information, Multiple Identities: Edit Advanced Identities
This gives the opportunity to choose the email address you use for sending on each email.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
techguy
Grafter

Cheers Jelv
I haven't tinkered with the web interface TBH