Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I revert to the old system?

tpq777

Bob,
How can I revert to teh old system?
Postini didn't work - I switched it off an my spam actually reduced. Now this week I see a signiifcant incarese in spam - why - beacuse you have introduced a new system. Stop fiddling around and accpet that your lax security over 2 years ago started all this.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Which old system? If you mean you don't want to go through Ironport just set Spam protection to OFF on the spam tab of Manage My Mail.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Re: How can I revert to the old system?

From the timing of this problem I suspect the change in behaviour is more likely to be as a result of the maintenance carried out on 26/11/2008 to fix problems with broken mailboxes rather than from migration to IronPort (yesterday). The following is an abbreviated quote from the post explaining the reason for the maintenance changes.
Quote from: Bob
A bit more detail about this planned maintenance …
… (please see full quote for detailed explanation)
The solution … is to create the missing mailbox (and that's what we'll be doing …). This means that some customers, depending on their email setup, might start to notice mail coming through to the broken mailbox that they weren't receiving before. Whilst all we're doing is fixing what's broken, this could understandably cause a bit of confusion.
We don't expect any email to get lost and the instances where the flow of email will be changed are few and far between. Our support team all know what's happening and will be on hand anyway should anybody need any help reconfiguring their Manage My Mail settings.

The highlighted text is important, mail (probably spam) might now be coming through that did not previously because your mailbox set-up was broken. As noted in the last paragraph of the quote it might be necessary to reconfigure Manage My Mail settings.
David
ramidoodle
Grafter

Having looked at your account,
I can assure your that you were not affected by iron-port pre-implementation database cleanup.
However, your current email settings indicate that the spam filters are off, ie your emails are being delivered to your mailbox bypassing any spam filtering system.
when you have opted in for postini on the beginning of Jan 2008 you might have switched it Off but kept the edge protection On which means that blatant spam emails have been blocked without being delivered to the spam folder.
I'm sorry that the edge protection option is not available in ironport. but if I may ask you ti give it  go and try to enable the spam protection on your account to allow iron port to work, there is nothing to lose as you can switch it back off if you are not happy with the results
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Quote from: RamiDoodle
I'm sorry that the edge protection option is not available in ironport.

It is available but if you have spam filtering switched off then your email will now be going directly to the Plusnet mail delivery servers (before it was still going via Postini so benefited from certain aspects of their edge filtering).
Turn spam filtering on and I'm confident the vast majority of the junk email you're receiving won't even get to you.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

tpq777

"Turn spam filtering on and I'm confident the vast majority of the junk email you're receiving won't even get to you."
Yeah, right, come on Bob who are you kidding. I switched it on on Saturday mid day - enabled the edge filtering and so far I have received 426 junk emails. You said - the vast majority won't even get to me - I don't think so. Before you started this iron port thing I got a handful of junk emails every day now I'm getting 100's - that's progress is it?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Give it time for the DNS changes to propagate! (allow up to 48 hours)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

@tpq77
I've just had a look at your account settings, you've switched spam filtering on for your username.free-online.co.uk addresses, however it's turned off for the username.idps.co.uk addresses and the domain addresses on your account.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Quote from: tpq777
"Turn spam filtering on and I'm confident the vast majority of the junk email you're receiving won't even get to you."
Yeah, right, come on Bob who are you kidding. I switched it on on Saturday mid day - enabled the edge filtering and so far I have received 426 junk emails. You said - the vast majority won't even get to me - I don't think so. Before you started this iron port thing I got a handful of junk emails every day now I'm getting 100's - that's progress is it?

As Chris mentioned, you had spam filtering still switched off for some of your domains. I can see you've switched it on now so do let us know how you get on once a day or two has gone by to allow for DNS to update.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Moderator's Note:
As suggested by the originator, posts from and replies to fcel concerning a different subject moved to their own thread Mail now being bounced.
David (spraxyt)
David