Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formatting of SPAM-marked email...

greenofashbourn
Grafter

Formatting of SPAM-marked email...

Hi,
I've had a couple of emails marked as spam, but the message gets completely chewed up and the formatting goes all over the place. Is this the standard format for mail identified as spam? It's quite annoying as both emails were replies to messages I had sent and were genuine - so not having the message in a useable format is a real hassle (I've had to re-type them by hand!)
Stuart
6 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Re: Formatting of SPAM-marked email...

All that should happen to any message identified as spam is that the subject line should have [-SPAM-] appended to it (if you have that option selected in MMM) and the message is stored in your spam folder (again assuming you have that option selected). All messages have headers added to them to reflect the routing and spam checking carried out by IronPort.
So if the formatting of the text is incorrect, that should be down to the originator of the message sending it like that (or your email client not interpreting the content correctly); whether it was classed as spam, or not, shouldn't enter into it.
David
David
greenofashbourn
Grafter

The messages I receive have lost their own subject - I assume there had their own subject originally - but both spam messages are labelled as simply [SPAM]
There is then a big header, which I assume is the bit the Ironport adds on.
Then the actual message has been formatted as if it has only 76 characters per line, with the last character on each line that's been split being =
For example:
Actually, we have just this year started an initiative to do some media tra=
ining with key campaigners.  Do let me know if you would like to be include=
d in the next phase of this training, which will of course not take place f=
or some months.
I'm using Thunderbird, but to be honest I'm not very familiar with it in terms of settings for formatting - so could this be something I need to change in Thunderbird?
Both messages were simply delivered straight to my mailbox as normal - I don't have a spam folder set up (again, would need help to do this!)
Thanks for any advice you can give!
Stuart
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

The message characteristics described suggest to me the messages might be incorrectly structured, or incomplete, which is often a means spammers use to get past checkers. IronPort might have responded to this by marking them as spam.
I think the '=' sign on the end of lines is where the HTML line was originally longer than 76 characters but has been split by the sending MIME formatter to conform with standards. (Actually I think it is a "newline" character that prints as an equals sign.) The receiving client (Thunderbird in your case) should ignore that and display the message properly. That it doesn't is likely to be another symptom of bad message structure.
I also use Thunderbird; set up was simply install it, define my email accounts and connect, entering account passwords when prompted. Messages in HTML or Plain Text format were handled automatically.
A spam folder is set up automatically if you select "Move to the Spam Folder" on the Spam tab within Manage My Mail. However you would then have to view the folder using webmail or using IMAP in Thunderbird - perhaps best not to change things for the moment if you are unsure what this means.
To obtain more specific advice you might need to raise a ticket and attach the message source - I assume you would be prepared to show this to a staff member. You can get the message source from Thunderbird by clicking the message in the folder list then pressing Ctrl+U (or click View->Message Source).
David
David
greenofashbourn
Grafter

Thanks for your help David - I won't pretend to understand all of that, but get the gist of it!
I'd be surprised if the mail was structured incorrectly - since I had received emails from both senders previously with no obvious issues.
Anyway, I have forwarded the emails to the spam learning address - so hopefully if there are any problems with Ironport they will be ironed out. I'm sure I can deal with the odd email that comes in this format if it happens again - fingers crossed it doesn't happen very often.
Cheers,
Stuart
greenofashbourn
Grafter

Hi again!
I'm having the same problems again with formatting of messages that IronPort has identified as Spam.
They come through without anything in the subject line and with a whole load of gobbledegook in the body, without attachments.
This is becoming quite embarrassing as I'm having to email people back asking for messages to be re-sent - the last one was a set of confidential Board meeting minutes so I can't even post them to the spam learning address. And I can't add all of my contacts to the safe senders list - just too time-consuming.
Can anyone help sort this out?
Stuart
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: greenofashbourne
Can anyone help sort this out?

Yes - you can!
In your Manage Your Mail spam settings under "Would you like messages identified as spam to be tagged?" select "Don't add [-SPAM-] to the subject line" and under "How would you like us to deal with messages identified as spam?" select either "Move to the Spam Folder (Recommended)" or create a special mailbox and select "Move to an existing Mailbox" and select that mailbox (the second option means that you can still use POP3 to check for spam without having to use Webmail or IMAP).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)