cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False Positive Digital 1 Email + Routed Through Postini & Not Ironport Server?!

Capvermell
Grafter

False Positive Digital 1 Email + Routed Through Postini & Not Ironport Server?!

Why was the below clearly not spam email from Digital One wrongly classified as being Spam then?  This is clearly an email people have asked to receive and is only sent to people who opted to join the circulation list.
Looking at it further this does not seem to have gone through the Ironport servers at all but instead mentions Postini in the header information. Shocked
So what exactly is going on here? Undecided
-------- Original Message --------
X-Account-Key: account4
X-UIDL: UID19357-1149066516
X-Mozilla-Status: 0001
X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000
X-Mozilla-Keys:
Return-path: <info@digitalone.co.uk>
Envelope-to: xxxx@xxxx.plus.com
Delivery-date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:16:34 +0000
Received: from [64.18.0.112] (helo=psmtp.com) by pih-sunmxcore12.plus.net with smtp (PlusNet MXCore v2.00) id 1LCAV6-0007SG-PT for xxxx@xxxx.plus.com; Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:16:33 +0000
Received: from source ([67.15.104.31]) by exprod5mx288.postini.com ([64.18.4.10]) with SMTP; Mon, 15 Dec 2008 02:16:32 PST
Organization: DigitalOne
Reply-To: info@digitalone.co.uk
Message-ID: <d6c468525482ac1ed0d82cc30dc03e96@digitalone.co.uk>
To: <xxxx@xxxx.plus.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:16:36 -0000
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=SPLITOR00A_001_371591468D"
X-pstn-neptune: 0/0/0.00/0
X-pstn-levels: (S: 5.71429/99.90000 CV:99.9000 )
X-pstn-settings: 1 (0.1500:0.1500) cv gt3 gt2 gt1
X-pstn-addresses: from <info@digitalone.co.uk> [450/23]
X-pn-pstn: Spam 5
X-PN-Virus-Filtered: by PlusNet MXCore (v4.00)
X-PN-Spam-Filtered: by PlusNet MXCore (v4.00)
Subject: Digital Radio Newsletter
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 081215-1, 15/12/200Cool, Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean

DAB Digital Radio
Digital Radio Newsletter
15th December 2008

Holiday Highlights on DAB digital radio
The national commercial stations Classic FM, Planet Rock, talkSPORT and Absolute Radio have some fabulous festive treats for you this Christmas. From carols to festive rock, debates to the Queens speech, Christmas hits to a sports review there really is something for everyone! Get the perfect seasonal soundtrack on DAB digital radio in the build up to Christmas and then party right into the New Year. A digital radio for Christmas
The countdown to Christmas is now well underway. Maybe you haven’t started your Christmas shopping yet… or maybe you’re ahead of the game and are ready to treat yourself as a reward for being so organised. Either way, it’s a great time of year to buy a DAB digital radio – whether for yourself or for somebody else. Just make sure you take a read of our favourites to help you pick which to buy…
Pure One Mini, Price guide: £39
Pure One Mini, Price guide: £39 Pure have taken one of their best-selling radios and made it even more compact and lightweight. And just because the One Mini is small, doesn’t mean that it’s not packed with features. This What Hi-Fi award-winning little gem has DAB digital radio, FM, a headphone socket and an input for your MP3 player. The only difficulty you’ll have is deciding whether to buy one in black, white or pink…
Bush TR04DAB Red, Price guide: £49
Bush TR04DAB Red, Price guide: £49 This popular retro-styled digital radio is now available in bright, glossy red. A perfect colour match for the festive season, it’s also a style statement throughout the rest of the year. This red version is already quite tricky to get hold of, so if it’s top of your gift list, try shopping online or even in some of the supermarkets.
Pure Chronos II, Price guide: £69
Pure Chronos II, Price guide: £69 Smarten up any bedside table with this eye-catching alarm clock radio. Its clear time display cleverly adjusts according to the brightness of your room. And four separate alarms can be set for weekdays only or just at weekends. If you’re looking for something more special, the Chronos range includes versions that have a CD player (Chronos CD) or an MP3 docking station (Chronos iDock). Both of those are available for £99.
Sony CMT-EH45, Price guide: £99
Sony CMT-EH45, Price guide: £99 Sony has come up trumps with this neat hi-fi system. It offers a brilliant range of features considering its price: DAB digital radio, FM, CD player, cassette player and two 5 Watt speakers. There’s also a socket for listening through headphones and another to connect your MP3 player. Add to that a 3-setting graphic equalizer and a sleep timer and it’s hard to imagine what more anyone could need. And finally…
We’d like to wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. We also hope that 2009 proves to be a fantastic year
for you.

Home
Stations
Coverage
Products
Where to Buy
News
Advice
About Us
For Business
Stay in Touch

Check your Coverage DAB Digital Radio advice Highway - In-car DAB Digital Radio

We'd be sorry to lose you, but if you decide you no longer want our updates please enter your email address after clicking here.
You can also check and change the details you have registered with us here.
© 2008 Digital One Ltd - 30 Leicester Square, London, WC2H 7LA.
Visit our website at www.ukdigitalradio.com.
All rights reserved. Trade mark information. Logo: DAB Digital Radio
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: False Positive Digital 1 Email + Routed Through Postini & Not Ironport Server?!

That has gone through Postini - it looks like whoever 67.15.104.31 is hasn't picked up the DNS changes.
There's not a lot Plusnet can do about that!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Capvermell
Grafter

Re: False Positive Digital 1 Email + Routed Through Postini & Not Ironport Server?!

Quote from: jelv
That has gone through Postini - it looks like whoever 67.15.104.31 is hasn't picked up the DNS changes.

Its a trade association for Plastic Pipes it appears.  But I can't really see what they have to do with Digital One or indeed the bulk sending of emails. Huh Undecided
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Postini will be switched off during the next 30 days. At that point any email sent to Postini's servers will not be delivered. Have you seen any more of these recently Capvermell?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Capvermell
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Postini will be switched off during the next 30 days. At that point any email sent to Postini's servers will not be delivered. Have you seen any more of these recently Capvermell?

Do you have any idea why the bulk emailing house for Digital One would be using such old mail server records and when they might be expected to update them?
Presumably when the Postini access route is switched off a bounce back message will then start to be generated to the sender thus alerting them to their laziness in bulk mail sending methods?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

But you will be the only one out of hundreds that bounce do you think they will notice Angry
Capvermell
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
But you will be the only one out of hundreds that bounce do you think they will notice Angry

But over time many ISPs change mail server arrangements so if they do not refresh their database they are going to have major issues communicating with their intended target audience.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Couldnt agree more, I get a lot of e-mail from Commercial mailing lists, and was one of the first groups to move to IronPort.  I asked them what had happened to my mail, the answer was they either will see the bounced mail, or it will go into the ether.
Got this from one of my mailers today, (The Editor is also a PlusNet user)
Support and assistance
Clearly whilst the new format is encouraging more of you to read the content I've not yet reached you all! Despite asking you NOT to reply to the Newsletter email address last week we still had more than a dozen emails asking for support, assistance with subscription issues and buying advice!

So let me re-iterate, the Newsletter email address is not routinely monitored. On publication day and for a few days afterwards we get 20,000+ emails all saying "I'm out of the office" and so any genuine email asking for help that is sent to this address is easily lost in the quagmire. We publish a support address below, please use that if you need help that cannot be provided in the forums.

Our forums are the very best place to get assistance with any GPS problems you may have, read by 200,000+ members you are assured of a quick reply and expert assistance from those best able to help, real users who have been there! We also maintain a permanent presence in the forums and assist wherever we can. For subscription issues there is also a dedicated forum but if you have lost your login details or have payment problems then we're also only an email away at subscriptions@pocketgpsworld.com.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

just received three emails  in my spam folder - this is typical
Return-path: <Jeanne83@myway.com>
Envelope-to: user@username.plus.com
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 21:26:24 +0000
Received: from [64.18.0.94] (helo=psmtp.com)
    by pih-sunmxcore09.plus.net with smtp (PlusNet MXCore v2.00) id 1LKfux-0003Ta-S2
    for user@username.plus.com; Wed, 07 Jan 2009 21:26:24 +0000
Received: from source ([89.41.44.10]) by exprod5mx271.postini.com ([64.18.4.13]) with SMTP;
    Wed, 07 Jan 2009 15:26:23 CST
Message-ID: <49666F1B.1017237@myway.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 21:24:43 GMT
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.12 (Windows/20080213)
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: <user@username.plus.com>
Content-Type: text/plain
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-pstn-neptune: 1/1/1.00/93
X-pstn-levels: (S: 0.00031/94.02278 CV:99.9000 R:95.9108 P:95.9108 M:97.0282 C:98.6951 )
X-pstn-settings: 1 (0.1500:0.1500) cv gt3 gt2 gt1 r p m c
X-pstn-addresses: from <Jeanne83@myway.com> [353/15]
X-pn-pstn: Spam 1
X-PN-Virus-Filtered: by PlusNet MXCore (v4.00)
X-PN-Spam-Filtered: by PlusNet MXCore (v4.00)
Subject: [-SPAM-] UmmM do u remember me?? I hope so!!
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

That came via a "cached" direct connection to the Postini mail server. Had it come through the IronPort server I think the message would have been refused by the boundary filter (SenderBase reputation for IP 89.41.44.10 is poor and it is on the spamcop and abuseat blocklists). The message originated in Romania.
I reckon the sooner Postini stops accepting mail for Plusnet customers the better.
David
David