cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Envelope-To header now overwritten incorrectly

WNewall
Dabbler

Envelope-To header now overwritten incorrectly

I assume this problem has been caused by the new system...
For the username: newall
Mails that used to come in with:
    Envelope-To: woll@<username>.force9.co.uk
now come in with:
    Envelope-To: <username>@<username>.force9.co.uk
If I send an email directly to woll@<username>.force9.co.uk, then it gets delivered correctly - the To field doesn't get changed.
'woll' is not a mailbox, it's what used to be my 'default'.
If I look in the Mail control panel in the Member Centre, it seems to show that the default mailbox is set to:
<username>@<username>.force9.co.uk
I can't remember exactly how the old setup was displayed in the mail control panel, but I seem to recall that 'woll' was the default in some way, or maybe the old system just passed all emails through, without rewriting the header?
Anyway, what do I need to do to get it to stop overwriting the headers with the wrong address in the Envelope-To header?
6 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Re: Envelope-To header now overwritten incorrectly

There is discussion of this "feature" in the thread Alisases being ignored?. The topic spun off from that and ideally should be split out, but doing that isn't easy.
The problem this causes has been recognised and an internal problem raised for it - see post #12 in that thread. Hopefully a suitable configuration change to provide the lost information will be made soon.
David
David
ramidoodle
Grafter

yup thats the problem.
a Big But here Smiley it looks like you don't have an email alias for woll, can you check manage my mail please
If you don't have this email alias then EXIM is defaulting the Envelope-To address to the catch-all address (username@usernamer.visp) in your case Wink
WNewall
Dabbler

Yes, 'woll' is not setup as an alias or a mailbox.
Maybe if I set 'woll' up as a mailbox, the Envelope-To wouldn't get set to be the default mailbox, but I don't understand why it is getting changed now. If I send a mail directly to 'woll', the To field doesn't get changed to the default mailbox, so why should the Envelope-To be any different? I've read the related thread mentioned in the previous post, but I can't understand/see the details of why the Envelope-To is being changed.
No reply needed to the above - It appears from the other thread that the configuration may be changed to fix the problem, so I'll wait for a resolution of that before doing anything.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

We turned off the re-routing on the IronPort boxes yesterday which should have sorted this problem. It breaks Quarantine and stops you logging in under certain circumstances but the Envelope-to thing should have cleared up.
@WNewall, it's not 100% clear from your post but are you saying .force9.co.uk doesn't exhibit this problem but email to your hosted domain does?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

avisoft
Grafter

Thanks Bob - I had just realised I was going to have to modify about 80 local fiters from Envelope-to if this was not fixed! Thanks for getting this sorted.
Inidentally, my SPAM has just disappeared! I used to get at least 300 a day in my Spam box  Angry- now none  Cheesy
But I really really hope that I do see any false positives. Only time will tell ...
WNewall
Dabbler

Quote from: Bob
We turned off the re-routing on the IronPort boxes yesterday which should have sorted this problem. It breaks Quarantine and stops you logging in under certain circumstances but the Envelope-to thing should have cleared up.
@WNewall, it's not 100% clear from your post but are you saying .force9.co.uk doesn't exhibit this problem but email to your hosted domain does?

No, I think (assume) the problem was happening for all domains. Definitely for force9.co.uk because that where I saw the problem. Thanks.