cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect of turning off Ironport

JIP

Effect of turning off Ironport

Hi I've tried asking this in the Plusnet Usenet group in the hope of getting a definitive answer from Plusnet. I have had some good sounding replies, but nothing from  staff, so I'm hoping to hear from them here.
Basically I am planning to turn Ironport off beause it doesn't seem to offer a means of vetting everything that it decides is SPAM. I used to get occasional false positives with Postini, but at least I could check it. I'm not prepared to give total control over - so I plan to turn it off and use other SPAM filtering processes that aren't so "Big Brother" like. Some of the contributors to my question in the Usenet group have confirmed that some genuine mail has been lost to Ironport. Another contribution has suggested a method that I haven't had chance to try yet, but I still want to pursue my original query.
So my original query is - can someone from Plusnet please confirm that with SPAM filtering turned off, ALL mail addressed to me will be passed to me - i.e. that there is no screening still of what Ironport decides is blatant spam.
Thanks
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Effect of turning off Ironport

Turn spam filtering off, wait a bit and then look at your MX records (it may take up to 2 days for all the DNS servers round the world to catch up with the change).
If your mail doesn't go through the Ironport boxes there's no way Ironport can loose any mail!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

It might be Monday before a staff member is available to  give a definitive response to your question.
With Spam Filtering turned off it is my understanding that all IronPort filtering if bypassed. However it's possible that the Plusnet mail delivery platform will still reject messages with malformed headers (normally spam).
David
Ben_Brown
Grafter

With spam filtering off, your mail doesn't hit our ironports at all, it goes straight to our inbound mx servers. It can take a couple of days to take effect however, as it involves changes in DNS.
Ironport doesn't drop "Blatant" spam unless you have chosen that option in Manage My Mail. It does however refuse mail from known bad hosts, If a host is incorrectly identified as bad and is configured correctly the sender will get a message bounced back to them. It's very unlikely that a host will be recorded as "bad" in the reputation system incorrectly, it would also have to have a very bad score for our ironports to drop it rather than just regarded as a bit bad.