cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Quarantine notificaitons not being sent (54448)

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Daily Quarantine notificaitons not being sent (54448)

Heads up that I raised a problem about this earlier this morning. Turns out the last time one of these was sent to a customer from the M-Series was 6:00am on the 8th December Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

13 REPLIES
Capvermell
Grafter

Re: Daily Quarantine notificaitons not being sent (54448)

Quote from: Bob
Heads up that I raised a problem about this earlier this morning. Turns out the last time one of these was sent to a customer from the M-Series was 6:00am on the 8th December Sad

Sounds like the non arriving Postini Quarantine daily email scenario all over again.
As a free email customer it seems I made the right decision to turn off Quarantine and go back to using the web spam folder instead.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Capvermell
Sounds like the non arriving Postini Quarantine daily email scenario all over again.

They *never* arrived IIRC. This was working, it just seems to have suddenly stopped for one reason or another. I'm pretty confident we'll be able to fix it (we need to if we're going to continue offering the service to non-subscription customers).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Capvermell
Grafter

They *never* arrived IIRC. This was working, it just seems to have suddenly stopped for one reason or another. I'm pretty confident we'll be able to fix it (we need to if we're going to continue offering the service to non-subscription customers).

Correct in the end it turned out that the daily Quarantine email never worked and never would because it was not cost effective for Plusnet to have Postini fix the problem due to the small number of Quarantine users.
However the facility was promised for a long time in the email account settings of anyone who had opted to have Postini Quarantine on their account.  Hence a service was promised that was then never delivered..............
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yep, that's about right. It's not that it wasn't cost effective though, the functionality just wasn't provided by Postini for catch-all accounts (which was effectively what our Quarantine arrangement with them was).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Capvermell
Grafter

Yep, that's about right. It's not that it wasn't cost effective though, the functionality just wasn't provided by Postini for catch-all accounts (which was effectively what our Quarantine arrangement with them was).

Ah yes I was forgetting that Postini Quarantine worked on a Catch All basis and that was obviously why there was so much more spam in total to look at in Postini Quarantine than under Ironport, even allowing for Ironport's significantly greater efficiency in rejecting most Spam at the outset.
The reason I still stuck with Postini Quarantine was because it seemed to do a much better job than Plusnet's own spam filtering in regard to preventing Spam reaching my actual Inbox. Then when I looked at the large amounts of Spam in Quarantine once a week or so (often around 300 messages) and sorted by sender and subject I soon spotted any genuine senders who needed to be whitelisted.
But I suppose for us Postini Quarantine users (a high percentage of the active posters in this forum section) the reduction in spam received in our Spam folder or Ironport Quarantine box is much more dramatic due to Catch All now being turned off for spam on top of far less spam getting through per actual mailbox or alias under the Ironport regime.  Even with Edge Protection turned off I seem to now be down to 1 spam per day getting to my spam folder compared to 30 or 40 per day in Postini Quarantine before the recent big reduction in worldwide spamming activity (mainly in the USA).
So for most Plusnet customers using Catch All spam will probably only be down by say 70% but for Postini Quarantine users with Catch All enabled their spam still reaching their Quarantine or Spam folder may be down by 95% or more.  That is clearly why so many people in this forum section initially wrongly think they may be missing some genuine email somewhere since their mailboxes were switched to the Ironport servers.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Bob - see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,71685.0.html
Have you confirmed that IronPort is actually quarantining emails? In view of what I've reported in the post linked above I seriously do wonder. One explanation of the lack of emails would be that none are actually being quarantined!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Capvermell
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Have you confirmed that IronPort is actually quarantining emails? In view of what I've reported in the post linked above I seriously do wonder. One explanation of the lack of emails would be that none are actually being quarantined!

As a mere free email account customer I was not going to be entitled to look at my Quarantine box directly anyway and the idea of having to keep track of what was in it from a series of daily emails and release toggles for false positives in those emails, along with the non arrival thus far of those emails has made it a show stopper from my point of view.
I have therefore reverted to use of the ordinary Plusnet online spam folder.  Also as Plusnet spam filtering is basically Ironport's I no longer really see the case for a separate Quarantine function, although a daily or weekly email (preferably the time period would be configurable by the end user) showing what is currently in one's online Plusnet spam folder along with direct links in the email to release any wanted emails would no doubt come in handy.
Community Veteran

You are not missing anything by not being able to log in to the quarantine system. I've now received four emails and none of the quarantined emails are visible when I log in.
There's still something wrong with the sending of the quarantined email notifications, the latest I've received this morning was for an email quarantined Wed, 10 Dec 2008 14:14 GMT
Capvermell
Grafter

You are not missing anything by not being able to log in to the quarantine system. I've now received four emails and none of the quarantined emails are visible when I log in.

Are you considering switching back to the Plusnet Spam folder instead?
As there is now little spam that makes its way through to us and so few false positives to some extent the whole need for a separate Quarantine functionality is now rather reduced.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Capvermell
Are you considering switching back to the Plusnet Spam folder instead?

No. What I am considering is as described in my post here. I actually have that running on one of my domains to see how it goes.
Community Veteran

I actually received a quarantine notification just after 6am this morning. Does that mean that this problem is resolved?
lingbob
Grafter

I received one on Sunday morning (03:10).
Regards .....
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I actually received a quarantine notification just after 6am this morning. Does that mean that this problem is resolved?

Yep, we now believe the problem to be resolved. Shout up if you suspect this not to be the case. Remember though, you'll only receive a notification email if you've actually had some mail quarantined during the previous day.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team