cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aliases being ignored?

avisoft
Grafter

Aliases being ignored?

Is it coincidence, that now some Ironport headers have appeared in my incoming emails, some Aliases I have are now being ignored?
I have 3 mailboxes: main1, misc2 and Spam. Misc2 is my catch-all mailbox, but I have a lot of aliases which point to my main mailbox main1, for all the addresses that I use.
Since late yesterday some (at least) of my Aliases are being ignored, and the mail ends up in my misc2 mailbox.
Anyone else seeing this?
And where is there an explanation of what the Ironport headers mean? I have failed so far to find any!

13 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Re: Aliases being ignored?

Quote from: avisoft
Is it coincidence, that now some Ironport headers have appeared in my incoming emails, some Aliases I have are now being ignored?
I have 3 mailboxes: main1, misc2 and Spam. Misc2 is my catch-all mailbox, but I have a lot of aliases which point to my main mailbox main1, for all the addresses that I use.
Since late yesterday some (at least) of my Aliases are being ignored, and the mail ends up in my misc2 mailbox.
Anyone else seeing this?

Sounds like it could be related to this as opposed to the actual migration. I'll take a look at your account now.
And where is there an explanation of what the Ironport headers mean? I have failed so far to find any!

There isn't a detailed explanation. The same x-pn-pstn: header is used for spam scoring though. I'll try and see if I can get hold of something more substantial for publication.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

The first migrations of active accounts to IronPort took place in the 6am-9am slot this morning, mine being included in that batch.
For me emails sent to mailboxes, redirects, aliases, or using catch-all all go to the right place (including spam). The only "oddity" I've noticed is that the "Envelope-to" header shows the (real) mailbox that the message goes to rather then the alias or undefined(catch-all) local part which appears in the "To" header.
David
David
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

That's useless! One of the points of using aliases is to be able to tell what email address was used when like me you use a different prefix for every website you sign up to - and that includes when the email has been sent with your email address as a BCC. Now we can't see that at all.
If Ironport has to change the Envelope-to, can't it add a header to show the original Envelope-to?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
avisoft
Grafter

One thing which may be relevant:
The ones misdirected to misc2 all seem to be sent to xxx@domain.f9.co.uk
The ones routed correctly I think are all to xxx@domain.force9.net or xxx@domain.force9.co.uk
Clue or red herring?!
@spraxyt: Were you told you were being migrated?
Yes, the Envelope to does seem to be the mailbox rather than the original. I agree with jelv that it could be a real pain if that is changed!
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: spraxyt
The only "oddity" I've noticed is that the "Envelope-to" header shows the (real) mailbox that the message goes to rather then the alias or undefined(catch-all) local part which appears in the "To" header.

Yeah, that's to do with the way the system re-writes the email and is expected behaviour. The 'To' field remains unchanged though.
One thing which may be relevant:
The ones misdirected to misc2 all seem to be sent to xxx@domain.f9.co.uk

Fixed. We found a handful of instances like this and are in the process of running a script to fix them. Your account should be OK now if you want to do a bit of testing.
@spraxyt: Were you told you were being migrated?

IT was announced to Service Status here. I've also got a shed-load of emails queued-up that I'll be sending. Generally speaking, customers can expect to receive one of these within 48 hours of being moved across.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

Community Veteran

Quote from: Bob
The only "oddity" I've noticed is that the "Envelope-to" header shows the (real) mailbox that the message goes to rather then the alias or undefined(catch-all) local part which appears in the "To" header.

Yeah, that's to do with the way the system re-writes the email and is expected behaviour. The 'To' field remains unchanged though

Which is totally useless if it was BCC'd to you!
Also, where you get multiple copies because one of your email addresses appears in both To and CC or BCC you may not be able to tell the copies apart.
avisoft
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Fixed. We found a handful of instances like this and are in the process of running a script to fix them. Your account should be OK now if you want to do a bit of testing.

Thanks Bob for that rapid response. It certainly seems to have fixed my problem.
Community Veteran

If you change an alias to a redirect to a mailbox on the same account, is there anything in the headers that allows you to see the address it was actually sent to?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Yes, Envelope-to for redirects shows the correct local part. Perhaps this is because Plusnet's mail servers handle the redirect, whereas the IronPort boxes handle aliases.
However if IronPort added an X-Envelope-to: header when rewriting the official Envelope-to: wouldn't that be a better solution?
David
Community Veteran

That would be fine by me.
itbookworm
Grafter

OK I seem to have a different problem but it looks to still be connected to aliases.
The main mailbox is receiving email OK. All the other aliases seem to be bouncing messages with the error
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'Administrative prohibition'
I am actually posting from my home account (plusnet) but the problem account is a force9 one. If Bob is looking at this I can message or email him with the account name.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

However if IronPort added an X-Envelope-to: header when rewriting the official Envelope-to: wouldn't that be a better solution?

FYI, I've opened an internal problem (ref:54229). It shouldn't be too difficult to alter the config so it does something like this. I'll let you know how we get on tomorrow.
@itbookworm, your problem should have been resolved by a script we ran late this afternoon, Can you let me know if you're still having problems?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

itbookworm
Grafter

Thanks Bob. The phone queue was short so I phoned that one in as well as posting here. They were able to tell me about the fix and I have done a limited test so far. All is currently looking OK (well for the critical aliases I checked anyway). I will do a full check of the lot tomorrow and let you know if I still have a problem.