cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[webmail] - Dimp

cynicalone
Dabbler

[webmail] - Dimp

http://www.horde.org/dimp/ DIMP is an AJAX interface sitting on top of IMP. Both of these webmail systems are part of the HORDE project, which means that they inherit a large legacy code base. When DIMP was tested it proved to be responsive and highly usable. Its AJAX GUI was simple to work, and thanks to having IMP underneath it provides a fall back option for people without an up-to-date web browser.
The only real issue with DIMP is the amount of code that you have to install just to get it to work. You have to install Horde and IMP before DIMP, and configure all three prior to being able to use the webmail interface. This will introduce support issues, but could provide a good grounding from which to build from. It could also, more importantly, be hiding legacy security issues.
Fixed link - David (spraxyt)
3 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Re: [webmail] - Dimp

We used to use a modified version of imp at work (before we migrated our mail system to exchange and now use OWA for webmail), and I use horde on my webhost.  These have always been solid, and I've enjoyed using them, so something built on these is likely to be a very strong candidate.  I've not come across Dimp before, but will now have a good look at it.
Phil
cynicalone
Dabbler

Phil,
Thanks for the comment. I had actually been a little worried about IMP/DIMP/HORDE because of the size of the code. Since seeing your reply I feel I have been a little unjust to it, and will be taking a second look at it now.
Geoff
cynicalone
Dabbler

Just started further testing of DIMP. The interface feels a little wrong when in the main horde window, but is fine when only DIMP is shown, this I am sure would clear up if more than webmail was being used. Drag and drop, and right hand click functionality are both present. Configuration options are flexible, and would fit the Plusnet model quite nicely. As horde is a framework, there are additional modules to expand functionality beyond the initial requirements for webmail.
Problems though came to light when dragging a file from the inbox to another folder. After doing such a basic task I switched to the folder that I had moved the email, which resulted in my browser, iceweasle under Debian Etch, not displaying the contents of the folder and the AJAX getting locked on downloading the email list This was repeated twice to prove that the problem was not a one off.
Configuration of DIMP, with IMP and Horde, took me some time to get done. This was not a bad thing, as generally the reason was because of the flexibility of the platform to run at optimal speed with cache servers. However, now I seem to have  checked a config option which is causing DIMP and IMP not to display.
I will be persevering for a while as this is a system that has a lot to offer, but stability is a problem from my point of view. Therefore, despite this looking very promising, I could not at this moment in time recommend that this could be used in a live environment.
Geoff