cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bng's and possibly ptn-ag03

Estragon
Rising Star

bng's and possibly ptn-ag03

When we are on one of these and therefore drop down to IPv4, does our being on the trial then help Plusnet? Or do we need to hop gateway until we get onto one that supports IPv6?
I find doing so has become increasingly difficult.
13 REPLIES 13
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: bng's and possibly ptn-ag03

I believe the intention of the trial was to garner feedback from you guys.
If you don't have a dual stack assignment then that feedback's probably going to be limited Wink
Having said that, it doesn't hinder us in any way if you use the IPv6 details whilst connected to one of the BNG's.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Estragon
Rising Star

Quite LOL.
Has it ever been checked what percentage of triallists ever get onto IPv6 these days, since the bngs were introduced? My guess would be well under 50% at any one time, and some never.
By the way, since my connection fault my Plusnet Current line speed has been stuck on the 46.6Mbps set on my original IPv4 non-trial connection using the OR JDSU then a new modem that had non-G.INP firmware. Both sync'ing around 49Mbps which indicates both had that problem.
It has had updated firmware since the evening of being supplied, and current IP Profile has been 58.01Mbps since then.
Please could it be given a kick? Though I suspect it isn't applied to the IPv6 trial lines!!! (BT; tbb and speedtest.net all give around 55Mbps). Thinks - all I have to do is log in using my standard account for a few minutes, then back onto IPv6. Maybe that would work.
AndyH
Grafter

It's a bit random how some people seem able to get v6 and some seem unable on the BNGs.
I get a different assigned prefix each time, but there don't seem to be any issues for me getting v6 on any BNG.
DougMa
Grafter

@AndyH: same for me, a BNG just means I get a different prefix.  I'm using a Fritz!Box which defaults to this process:
"First FRITZ!Box attempts to determine the global address from the router advertisement of the provider. Then an address is requested via DHCPv6. If this fails, an address from the first /64 subnet of the determined prefix is used."
Doug
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Estragon
Please could it be given a kick?

Just checked and it's already set to 58Mbps.
Quote from: AndyH
It's a bit random how some people seem able to get v6 and some seem unable on the BNGs.
I get a different assigned prefix each time, but there don't seem to be any issues for me getting v6 on any BNG.

I thought that despite being assigned a prefix, you still had problems Andy?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH

thats the issue.
on the non BNG's its a static/sticky prefix, on the BNG's it isnt.
The config needs to be matched.
either plusnet need to remove the BNG's on ipv6 accounts or fix the problem, the feedback has been given yet not been acted on. Smiley
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
I thought that despite being assigned a prefix, you still had problems Andy?

Since upgrading my router's firmware (Asus - previously they used radvd and now dnsmasq for IPv6), I haven't had any more issues.
When I was dealing with Asus Support, they did say a lot of their IPv6 issues seem to be compatibility related as each ISP setup is a bit different. Perhaps dnsmasq is more reliable or consistent comapred to radvd for IPv6.
chrcoluk
Grafter

andy why do you think a dynamic prefix is fine when its not intended to be dynamic?
Estragon
Rising Star

That's what's been puzzling me about the earlier posts. The prefix on mine (the first 4 groups) is fixed, the second four vary.
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: Bob
Quote from: Estragon
Please could it be given a kick?

Just checked and it's already set to 58Mbps.
It is now :). But at the time of the request, and for days beforehand, it was still the 46.6Mbps. Yet speeds in the mid-50s were observed on all tests and evident on my NetWorx graph.
As in the past the Current line speed I see on my account has always tallied with the IP Profile, given an hour or so, then either there is a separate (unseen by the user) one on the trial account, (which was set correctly), or it is ignored.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: chrcoluk
andy why do you think a dynamic prefix is fine when its not intended to be dynamic?

Because it's an issue with the RADIUS server and the BNGs. At least it does work though.
chrcoluk
Grafter

yeah ptn-ag03 has the same issue.
I can confirm 2 things.
1 - when I am assigned a different prefix by plusnet, all ipv6 traffic is dead in and out of my router to the internet.  I am now back on asuswrt-merlin firmware, but it also occurs with tomatousb firmware.
2 - This issue with the wrong prefix occurs on all the BNGs and it seems yes also on 'lo0-central10.ptn-ag03.plus.net'
given the trouble I had tonight of getting good performance by session hopping I will have to stay like this for now with broken ipv6.
log full of these
Apr 10 23:18:19 dhcp6c[828]: client6_send: transmit failed: Network is unreachable
Apr 10 23:20:30 dhcp6c[828]: client6_send: transmit failed: Network is unreachable
Apr 10 23:22:21 dhcp6c[828]: client6_send: transmit failed: Network is unreachable
Apr 10 23:24:25 dhcp6c[828]: client6_send: transmit failed: Network is unreachable
Apr 10 23:26:32 dhcp6c[828]: client6_send: transmit failed: Network is unreachable
Apr 10 23:28:26 dhcp6c[828]: client6_send: transmit failed: Network is unreachable
Apr 10 23:30:14 dhcp6c[828]: client6_send: transmit failed: Network is unreachable
Apr 10 23:32:08 dhcp6c[828]: client6_send: transmit failed: Network is unreachable
Apr 10 23:33:58 dhcp6c[828]: client6_send: transmit failed: Network is unreachable
Apr 10 23:35:51 dhcp6c[828]: client6_send: transmit failed: Network is unreachable
Apr 10 23:38:01 dhcp6c[828]: client6_send: transmit failed: Network is unreachable
Apr 10 23:40:11 dhcp6c[828]: client6_send: transmit failed: Network is unreachable
and if I try to manually restart radvd I think it fails, radvd isnt running.  Not sure if its supposed to stay running tho as I never checked when it works.
chrcoluk
Grafter

getting harder and harder, I got booted of ppp last night, and needed over 80 attempts to get on a non bng endpoint. Sad