Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Withdrawl of IPv6 Technical Trial

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Withdrawl of IPv6 Technical Trial

I really want every device in my house to be directly addressable from the global internet [not].
NAT has the (accidental) advantage of largely preventing random people from accessing my internet capable devices scattered throughout my house.
Obviously a proper firewall does a better job.
There are several fairly major protocols that are broken by the absence of NAT - anything with any kind of P2P component appears to fail.
Anyway, who is going to buy me a decent IPV6 router?
Of course, following the Snowden revelations, the broadcast of ip addresses belonging to individual devices,
localised to particular rooms of a house just has to be unacceptable.
Or perhaps I should just email GCHQ with my IPV6 allocations?
This situation is bad enough at present.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

I do have some sympathy with the argument regarding 'hiding' devices by default, and only opening access to them on request through a NAT. However, as you say, the same thing can, and arguably should, be done with a firewall and there's no reason why this should be any more difficult to achieve. Perhaps as a result of the removal of NAT, residential routers will have to face up to the issue and start providing this capability.
Even the NAT RFC itself says it is not intended to provide security in this way and should not be relied upon for such as it can introduce vulnerabilities given the uncertain failure mode. Furthermore, there is often an element of a false sense of security by relying on it because it only covers one attack vector leaving many others besides that still need covering.
As you mention, NAT solves one problem (address shortage) but at the expense of another (end to end connectivity). More to the point though, it is no longer able to do what it was once good for and thus a new protocol, with a larger address space, really is the only way foward. There's no other option on the table.
The Internet is a shared entity, and you are just a part of it as anyone else. It is your, and mine, presence on it - along with ever increasing numbers of other people/devices - that is making it creak and so I'm afraid we all must shoulder the burden of keeping it fit for purpose. If you want a 'decent IPv6 router' then who else but yourself should buy it? Why would you expect any different? If it makes you feel any different I'm sure your ISP could provide it... but you must recognise that you'll be paying for it one way or another?
With regards to e-mailing GCHQ to tell them your IPv6 allocations... by all accounts I don't think you even need to! Wink Seriously though, if you want privacy and anonymity there are several ways of achieving it way beyond that which your NAT provides, and which are not in any way hampered by whatever protocol and addressing scheme happens to be employed.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Since a move to IPV6 would cost money and cripple applications I use,
it makes sense for me to (selfishly) stick with IPV4 (and NAT).
IPV6 has no advantages for me.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MJN
Pro

Then stick with IPv4 - noone is forcing you to move to IPv6, not yet anyway!
You might change your mind once you find parts of the Internet reachable only by IPv6, and/or the costs of supporting the legacy protocol too much for you to bear (yes - you - you don't expect everyone else to subsidise your IPv4-only access by attempting to keep IPv4 running forever do you?).
There might even be a 'killer app' that you desire that can only operate using IPv6. Unfortunately given that we are dragging our heels with deployment it is hardly likely we've yet to see it appear!
PLan
Grafter

What exactly is stopping Plusnet deploying IPv6 to customers at the moment? Some ISPs have been offering the service for a long time but others seem to be dragging their feet.  Huh
MJN
Pro

If only we knew. Official comment from Plusnet has been practically non-existant.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,106125.msg979490.html#msg979490
Like I said, I'll post here when I have more I can put out Smiley  I was chatting to the network guys about it this morning.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
MJN
Pro

With respect, it sounds like a classic case of 'jam tomorrow'...
That update was four months ago now, and even that was just to say it's being talked about. Is there really nothing that can be reported other than that's there's been more talking?
Kelly
Hero

I don't want to put out more information until I've got stuff pinned down on our side. I.e. target dates etc.  It's that simple really.
Kelly Dorset
MJN
Pro

Even just knowing that there are target dates would be nice.
(...we'll leave pinning you down to find out when they are for Phase 2...;))
avatastic
Grafter

Or asking when you'll be able / if you'll be willing to route any /56's out of any /64's we've picked up with tunnel brokers whilst waiting for a native implementation  Roll_eyes
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Kelly
Hero

Quote from: MJN
Even just knowing that there are target dates would be nice.
(...we'll leave pinning you down to find out when they are for Phase 2...;))

I want to give you some target dates.  That good enough? Smiley
Kelly Dorset
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kelly - I'm looking to make my home network fully IPv6 capable by Christmas 2013, should I be looking at IPv6 tunneling over IPv4 to achieve my goal or should I not waste my time and wait for a more permanent solution from Plusnet within that timeframe ?
MJN
Pro

Quote from: avatastic
Or asking when you'll be able / if you'll be willing to route any /56's out of any /64's we've picked up with tunnel brokers whilst waiting for a native implementation  Roll_eyes

/56 out of /64? Assuming you mean the other way around, there's no chance of that happening. Any prefixes you've obtained from a tunnel broker will have to be announced (and routed) by them. One of the key goals of the IPv6 addressing architecture is reduced routing table load and so route aggregation is critical.
hazzamon
Grafter

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Of course, following the Snowden revelations, the broadcast of ip addresses belonging to individual devices, localised to particular rooms of a house just has to be unacceptable.
Or perhaps I should just email GCHQ with my IPV6 allocations?
This situation is bad enough at present.

With regards to the question of individual devices being locatable based on unique IPv6 addresses, Windows computers will by default generate randomised IPv6 addresses and use them for communication in preference over the hardware-assigned IPv6 address; as per RFC 3401. Linux is also capable of using IPv6 privacy extensions, though iirc they are not turned on by default.