Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the benifit of having IPv6

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Whats the benifit of having IPv6

Just wondering whats so hot about ipv6 ? Will it improve things for people who like to online game alot ?
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Whats the benifit of having IPv6

Gaming with IPv6 eliminates the problems associated with IPv4 which include -

• NAT

• Port forwarding

• DMZ

• UPnP

• Multiple consoles on the same connection

• Poking holes through the router firewall

Theoretically IPv6 also has less packet fragmentation, and is more efficient in finding shorter routes across the internet - which should translate to providing lower latency.
While I don't do console gaming over IPv6 (as Xbox-360 and older Playstation don't support it), more than three quarters of my internet traffic is now IPv6 and I find that IPv6 internet routing seems more reliable than the equivalent on IPv4, and that YouTube streaming has noticeably less problems than on IPv4.
You might be interested in this article and video - Microsoft: The Best Xbox One Gaming Experience Will Be Over IPv6
Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It helps if you come across sites like http://loopsofzen.co.uk/ Tongue
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Thank you for the info purleigh Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Quote from: jelv
It helps if you come across sites like http://loopsofzen.co.uk/ Tongue

Or to put it more clearly for less IT savvy readers - sites which only have an IPv6 address.  Wink

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

summers
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

To my mind the advantage of IPv6 is more underground. Whilst we have enough IPv4 numbers, the internet will work - and we will all be happy.
When IPv4 numbers start running out, people won't be get nework connections. That will make people sad.
IPv6 means that we won't be running out of numbers for some time - which would make people happy.
Now there are work arrounds to get IPv4 to work with more machines, NAT is the usual one people use. NAT isn't a natural solution, but works well enough. Its a hassle though when you try to set up network connections through a NAT connection. Usually its easy from inside the NAT domain to outside, but going in the opposite direction is more of a hasle, need to set up port forwarding etc. Luckily most users don't need to do that, but if you have ever tried to log onto your home machine, from out on the internet - you have found it a tad hard. Thats becuase of the NAT ...