Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK among nations that have done least

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: UK among nations that have done least

the AAISP wiki pages on the tg582n would indicate that inputing the cli commands to run the ipv6 service start a separate ipv6 virtual server and then manipulate things as per the config you setup before pushing the result (the encapsulated packet) to the router service (which is running as a separate virtual server) and then it gets handled as any other ipv4 traffic coming from your network does,
http://wiki.aa.org.uk/Category:Router_TG582N
breaking my useual habit heres a link i'm sure you already have it but in case you don't its interesting reading, my advice is start at the bottom set of 12 "pages" under "R" and then read through the links in the documents section
its all .pdf's that will open as a page
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Draytek router doesn't require CLI commands to activate IPv6 (tunneled or native), the configuration is built into the normal web interface.
As 'Krazeh says, my LAN does both native IPv4 and IPv6, and the router acts as a fully functioning IPv6 endpoint and firewall.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Some routers:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_IPv6_support_in_routers

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

nanotm
Pro

Quote from: purleigh
My Draytek router doesn't require CLI commands to activate IPv6 (tunneled or native), the configuration is built into the normal web interface.
As 'Krazeh says, my LAN does both native IPv4 and IPv6, and the router acts as a fully functioning IPv6 endpoint and firewall.

funnily enough a lot of routers are configured at manufacture to do dual stack support and offer config options via the GUI without requiring CLI input, that doesn't stop the various parts from running in separate virtual server's
all of which isn't really relevant to the tg582n and how it provides the support which does require starting via CLI input or how its configuration is achieved and what it looses in order to provide it
Krazeh
Grafter

The TG582N doesn't lose anything by creating a tunnel interface. That it may run as a new virtual server process on the router is irrelevant. Nor is the fact the GUI hasn't yet been updated and you therefore needing to use the CLI. The TG582N has native IPv6 support and can perform all the same functions for IPv6 as it does for IPv6, with the exception of NAT.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: nanotm
funnily enough a lot of routers are configured at manufacture to do dual stack support and offer config options via the GUI without requiring CLI input

So why do you think -
home routers ... ... just don't have the processing power or the memory capability to provide all the extra services they would need to run in order to relieve the isp servers of the load for consumer addressing and still maintain full connectivity for the average number of devices on ipv6 whilst retaining the ipv4 capabilities they currently run, maybe they could do pure 6 fully but not a cat in hells chance there going to manage full 6 and full 4 without doubling the cpu + tripling the memory provisions, there fine for the tunnelled stuff because essentially its just ipv4 traffic there routing through the WAN side
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@nanotm
Please stop posting things as facts, when they are in fact your opinion or hearsay. People are trying to help explain the intricacies of IPv6 on this thread (and others) but unfortunately keep getting sidetracked by having to correct your statements to ensure that other customers don't believe incorrect information.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
VileReynard
Hero

Does ARP work with ipv6?

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

@Chris - Thank you for that interjection. Here's hoping it has an effect.
@VFDoD - Short answer: no. Long answer: Start a new thread and we can discuss it further! Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why are the forum moderators not getting involved with this ongoing prolific nonsense and thread trolling ?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Andrews and Arnold (AAISP) have been providing IPv6 connections for many, many years and are are universally recognised as being the leaders when it comes to ISPs providing native IPv6 .
Guess which router they provide?
[quote=http://aa.net.uk/kb-broadband-ipv6-tech.html]Do A&A provide an IPv6 router
   Yes, we ship the Technicolor TG582N with IPv6 enabled firmware as standard.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
SimonHobson
Rising Star

i'd suggest you read up on multiplier attacks and mitigation /elimination of them but I'm not sure you'd be able to understand it, clearly your struggling to grasp that ipv4 is very different in operation from ipv6, never mind the concept that effectively changing ipv6 data into ipv4 and then switching it back is essentially the same as using a transformer to swap digital to analogue for transmission and then switching it back at the receiver in order to use it

Rubbish, rubbish, and yet more rubbish.
I do know about multiplier attacks - the cause, effects, and mitigation for them are no different under IPv6 compared to IPv4.
And your analogy of converting digital to analogue and back is - trying to stay polite - very flawed indeed.
The real facts are that for the bulk of traffic, there really isn't a lot of difference between IPv4 and IPv6 - station generates packet, sends packet to router, router looks up destination in routing table and forwards it on, next router looks up destination in routing table and forwards it, repeat until packet reaches destination network where final router will send it out on the local network to the attached device (or if there is no attached device with that address, it will either reply with an ICMP message to say so or silently drop the packet depending on how it's configured). Note that at no point in that chain have I differentiated between IPv4 and IPv6 because the process is the same - the prefixes may be longer, but the process is the same.
So, someone sends me a packet from their non-Plusnet address, the router examines the destination address and looks for a routing table entry that matches it. In the case of IPv6 it would most likely find an entry for 2a02:16c8::/32, for an IPv4 address it would most likely find an entry for 81.174.128.0/17 (both these are Plusnet PA allocations). On the internet backbone, it should never find a router for anything more precise than either of those two routes - and most definitely not a /64 or /128 route for IPv6 or a /32 route for IPv4

Quote from: vilefoxdemonofdoom
Does ARP work with ipv6?

Not ARP - IPv6 uses a different mechanism, see Neighbour Discovery.
AIUI, in IPv6 they've moved away from broadcasts as we are used to using them in IPv4 land, in favour of multicasts (using link local self assigned addresses where appropriate). Different mechanism, same end result.
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: jelv
Andrews and Arnold (AAISP) have been providing IPv6 connections for many, many years and are are universally recognised as being the leaders when it comes to ISPs providing native IPv6 .
Guess which router they provide?
[quote=http://aa.net.uk/kb-broadband-ipv6-tech.html]Do A&A provide an IPv6 router
   Yes, we ship the Technicolor TG582N with IPv6 enabled firmware as standard.

something I readily acknowledge and even provided a link for there wiki on the router, something a lot of people could do with reading
heres a quote from one of them
Completely disabling the firewall seems to be necessary to allow IPv6 connections from WAN side to network, as even when IPv4 firewall is 'off', the IPv6 still seems to be firewalled
and now I will as requested stop posting
Krazeh
Grafter

Just because something is on a wiki does not make it true. All that quote demonstrates is whoever wrote it doesn't seem able to configure their router properly. It's not an official statement by A & A or Technicolor.
VileReynard
Hero

@nanotm - I was enjoying some of your posts.
They had the effect of causing some proper, understandable explanations to be written.
(Ignoring all the personal attacks directed against you).
I think the moderators were turning a blind eye to these.