Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK IPv6 adoption soars to new heights

TimSmall
Grafter

UK IPv6 adoption soars to new heights

Interesting to see:
https://www.vyncke.org/ipv6status/
... that 0.17% of UK Internet users (as measured by Google) now have IPv6 connectivity - ranking us 38th worldwide.  The countries ahead of us include the sort of world-renowned technological innovators you'd expect, such as Cuba, Bhutan, Vanuatu and the Maldives.
Still, we're 0.01% ahead of Indonesia (and WAY ahead of the Channel Islands), so it's nice to see the UK still retaining the pioneering engineering tradition that made this country great.
Brunel would be proud.
Ahem.
4 REPLIES 4
hazzamon
Grafter

Re: UK IPv6 adoption soars to new heights

Putting the 'Great' in 'Great Britain' Crazy
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

To be fair, it is often the case that early adopters of technology and infrastructure end up being easily overtaken because of the investment and legacy considerations. You only have to look at underground transport, broadband, mobile telephony etc. More recent adopters can more easily jump straight to the new technology thus giving the impression of being more technically advanced whereas the reality is rather more complex.
I'm not saying we don't need to do more to drive IPv6 forward in the UK, but making any comparisons with what the situation is in the Maldives for example is irrelevent and misses the point. Far better to compare with other similar countries e.g those elsewhere in western Europe. Sadly though, the figures still don't make good reading!
TimSmall
Grafter

Yes, reasonable point re legacy bases etc, and the post was somewhat tongue in cheek.
As you point out, of the major Northern / Western European countries (where the definition thereof is purely my arbitrary one), we have:
Ahead of us:
Belgium (115 times wider adoption than us)
Switzerland 61x wider
Germany 49x
France 29x
Norway
Netherlands
Ireland
Finland
Sweden
Austria
I got bored calculating, but the last two only just ahead of us.
Behind us are:
Denmark
Iceland

Overall rating:  Could Do Better.
MrToast
Grafter

Quote from: TimSmall

Ahead of us:
Overall rating:  Could Do Better.

The one I'd watch is the USA now up at around 10% depending on the mix of users that day of the week... and rising.
Its a big technologically advanced market. How long before we start to see applications that assume IPv6.
We've already seen MSoft say that XBox One works better with P2P gaming in IPv6. Not due to IPv6 itself of course, but rather to having a globally routed address on the machine in your home.
We forget that we broke the internet by introducing PAT [often called NAT] when we wanted to connect multiple devices.