cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet "not supporting IPv6, like every ISP's, until IPv6 are fully supported"

racquel
Grafter

Plusnet "not supporting IPv6, like every ISP's, until IPv6 are fully supported"

I just had the following response to a Plusnet ticket in which I noted that the router they send me was crashing and rebooting when I downloaded something while tunnelling IPv6 (see other thread).
"Unfortunately we are currently not supporting IPv6, like every ISP's, until IPv6 are fully supported we will not be rolling this out completely".

Hmmm, breaking that down:

"Unfortunately we are currently not supporting IPv6

Well, yes, I know that. The ticket wasn't about whether you supported IPv6, it was about a flaky router. Putting that to one side...
like every ISP's

Well, yes, I mean if you forget about Andrews & Arnold, Bogons, Claranet, FidoNet, Goscomb and 9 others who provide native IPv6 in the UK so far...
until IPv6 are fully supported we will not be rolling this out completely".

• IPV6 was in the Linux kernel by 1996.

• IPv6 standard was ratified in 1998 (16 years ago).

• Windows 2000 had IPv6 support, as did Windows XP by 2002.

• Mac OSX has supported IPv6 since 2003.

• Most major switch and router manufacturers have supported IPv6 since 2006.

• ... and so on, ever since.

Discuss Smiley
15 REPLIES 15
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Plusnet "not supporting IPv6, like every ISP's, until IPv6 are fully supported"

Quote from: racquel
until IPv6 are fully supported we will not be rolling this out completely".

• IPV6 was in the Linux kernel by 1996.

• IPv6 standard was ratified in 1998 (16 years ago).

• Windows 2000 had IPv6 support, as did Windows XP by 2002.

• Mac OSX has supported IPv6 since 2003.

• Most major switch and router manufacturers have supported IPv6 since 2006.

• ... and so on, ever since.

Discuss Smiley

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I imagine that the sentence was more meant to be read along the lines of 'until IPv6 is fully supported [within Plusnet] we will not be rolling this out completely'.
Yes, IPv6 support has been present in many standards COTS products for a while (although there's 'supported' and there's 'supported' but let's leave that for another discussion!) however it is the not-so-standard elements of an infrastructure where the problems tend to lie.
Few want to see IPv6 rolled out more than me however be careful holding an organisation to the words of a response to a single support ticket.
PLan
Grafter

Re: Plusnet "not supporting IPv6, like every ISP's, until IPv6 are fully supported"

I think IPv6 support in the UK will be like dominoes, one larger ISP will get around to implementing it then all the others will fall in line.  Huh
chrcoluk
Grafter

indeed its a game of "you go first".
MJN
Pro

BT have declared in intent to roll it out to customers in 2015, whilst both Sky and Virgin are undertaking staff trials with customer trials intended next year for the former. We're closer than ever!  Smiley
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

So far it seems every major ISP is waiting until every one else makes the 'leap of faith' before committing.
One day we will all need IPV6, it just seems to me that IPV4 is lasting longer than predicted, the problem is waiting until V4 runs out is leaving it too late since we'll likely 'need' dual stack for a good time during the transition and if V4 addresses have run out then some must suffer a broken (incomplete) internet.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: MJN
BT have declared in intent to roll it out to customers in 2015, whilst both Sky and Virgin are undertaking staff trials with customer trials intended next year for the former. We're closer than ever!  Smiley

They previously said would happen in 2014 but it didnt.
MJN
Pro

Did they?
BruceMcTavish
Grafter

And in all honesty does anyone really care or even know about this.
I bet a street survey asking what IPV6 is would draw millions of blank faces.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: chrcoluk
They previously said would happen in 2014 but it didnt.

Staff member 'P Richardson' previously stated in November 2012 that -
[quote=http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,106125.msg925450.html#msg925450]I'd like to think we can do it before the UK reached 1% adoption. I can sit back and relax more this way, given it's currently 0.18%.
I'd love to say we are ready for this and it is something that is being moved on, but there are priorities, some of which are dependencies for us to do IPv6 (the reason the trial stopped was deployment of kit that was a dependency).
It's coming. A traditional Plusnet acronym for this is RSN - Real Soon Now.

Global IPv6 adoption has approximately doubled each year, and is currently around 5%.

Unfortunately UK IPv6 adoption is still only 0.34%   Cry
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: BruceMcTavish
And in all honesty does anyone really care or even know about this.

Yes  Shocked

Quote from: BruceMcTavish
I bet a street survey asking what IPV6 is would draw millions of blank faces.

I bet a street survey asking what IPV4 is would draw millions of blank faces !  Crazy
jedi98
Grafter

I bet a street survey asking what IPV4 is would draw millions of blank faces !

I bet a street survey asking what the internet actually is would mostly get answers like "It's where you find twitter" or "it's where you play bingo". And that an imap was apple's version of google maps.
But seriously, a large number of people seem judge the state of the internet by whether facebook loads fast or not. And facebook can be really dicey with IPv6 (for some people).
I think IPv6 support in the UK will be like dominoes

Now for a moment there I was worried that the ISPs may deliver IPv6 painted black with white spots on it, then I realised you meant a cascade  Wink
racquel
Grafter

Or in my place, that one bit gets knocked out of place and the whole lot falls over Smiley
krad

IPV6 is tech speak, I expect to see it marketed as the INTERNET 2.0 or other such rubbish. After all how many faces on the street new what the resolution of TV was before HD started to be being marketed? A lot less than now i bet
racquel
Grafter

Quote from: krad
IPV6 is tech speak, I expect to see it marketed as the INTERNET 2.0 or other such rubbish. After all how many faces on the street new what the resolution of TV was before HD started to be being marketed? A lot less than now i bet

Pass me whatever you're smoking, dude!  Crazy