cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet as a sponsoring LIR for IPv6

davidhope
Hooked

Plusnet as a sponsoring LIR for IPv6

I asked this via support but it was suggested I post in the forum as all IPv6 support is handled over here. I am an end-user familiar with IPv6 and internet routing. Unfortunately I'm not a member of the IPv6 trial (though would like to be).
Using IPv6 PA (Provider Allocated) space can be frustrating as if you move ISP you need to renumber your network (unless you use ULA and rely on address translation - which is undesirable). PI (Provider Independent) space solves this for people who can either register directly with RIPE or find a sponsoring LIR.
Would it be possible for Plusnet as my ISP to sponsor me with RIPE for an IPv6 PI allocation?
If Plusnet are unable to sponsor me, If I were to register with RIPE directly (and pay the membership fee) would Plusnet be able/willing to route the range to my router?
Thanks in advance
8 REPLIES 8
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Plusnet as a sponsoring LIR for IPv6

Isn't it quite expensive to join RIPE as a member?
davidhope
Hooked

Yep - Hence why I'm asking Plusnet to be a sponsoring LIR.
dick:quote
Decanus

I would be happy to do a PI IPv6 allocation for you through my company if Plus.net were unwilling;
however if they're unwilling to do a PI allocation, I don't see why they'd announce your address space, unless you were going to do that externally and run a tunnel.
SimonHobson
Rising Star

That's the big catch - I'm not aware of any "consumer level" ISP that will handle PI addresses in IPv4 space, I doubt if they'll be any keener to do it for IPv6.
davidhope
Hooked

SimonHobson, I believe I remember reading somewhere that AAISP will route PI allocations. Not sure if they will act as a sponsoring LIR though, but as I'm not a customer it's not something i've looked into.
davidhope
Hooked

Decanus, Your offer of acting as a sponsor for PI space is very kind.
My understanding is that the LIR is charged a 50 EUR fee and can then charge the end-user what they wish. Would you mind contacting my directly with any details and what you'd want to charge?
Thanks
Dave
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi
I think its unlikely this is something that we will be able to offer you.  We don't have a product set up to work with a PI address and I don't believe one is planned.
Thanks
Plusnet Staff - Lead Network Design/Delivery Engineer
davidhope
Hooked

Fair enough, thanks for the update Paul. I'll admit it was a long shot.