cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New IPv6 rollout - with, or without a new trial?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New IPv6 rollout - with, or without a new trial?

@summers wrote:

Still impressed with speed, is that Fibre to the Cabinet,  or even the the front door?

FTTC from mid-Essex to mid-London

@summers wrote:

Takes me 26ms to even get to my plus.net gateway!  Another 8ms to get to he.net. Then another 8ms to get to google.

My router's gateway monitor says 6.4ms to Plusnet, then another 1.5ms to Hurricane Electric, and nothing extra to Google

Gateway pings.jpg

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

@summers wrote:

Takes me 26ms to even get to my plus.net gateway!

That's interesting - what does your traceroute to 192.88.99.1 look like?

ChrisSerella
Hooked

As I said in a post you can lease from another owner. There are market places for exactly that scenario. Pricing may be a factor, I guess it come's down to whether or not you want to pay the cost and obviously as stated if PN support it.

You realise plusnet, or at the very least their edge routers support and are advertising ipv6 addressing.

Of course those could just be for some internal services at PN. and not meant for consumers.

In any case, I look forward to the IPV6 roll out, if and when they do roll out I will look at their options for getting blocks. probably not much in terms of home packages but I guess I could always switch to a business deal, last I checked the packages were basically the same in pricing and specs.

MJN
Pro

@ChrisSerella wrote:

As I said in a post you can lease from another owner. There are market places for exactly that scenario. Pricing may be a factor, I guess it come's down to whether or not you want to pay the cost and obviously as stated if PN support it.

Have you seen that with IPv6 though? I can't imagine what the motivation for doing so would be, for all parties really, and I've never seen residential ISPs hosting address ranges for customers that haven't come from their own blocks.

You realise plusnet, or at the very least their edge routers support and are advertising ipv6 addressing.

Indeed, and they've been doing that for a good 10 years or so now. It makes it all the more disappointing that, notwithstanding the trial, we haven't seen much other movement other than that. Rather worrying is that they haven't increased their /32 allocation to the larger /29 that encompasses it which they can do without charge and simply by asking RIPE. This suggests to me they probably haven't done much in the way of planning their IPv6 addressing strategy yet as I would've expected them to do this as their first step to give them more freedom and options for how they're going to carve it all up.

Of course those could just be for some internal services at PN. and not meant for consumers.

I'd expect both (and, incidentally, the trial prefixes came from that subnet) and they'd have to have very strong justification for obtaining additional address space if they weren't going to use their existing allocation for both infrastructure and customers.

In any case, I look forward to the IPV6 roll out, if and when they do roll out I will look at their options for getting blocks. probably not much in terms of home packages but I guess I could always switch to a business deal, last I checked the packages were basically the same in pricing and specs.

Yes, it'll be interesting (in the Chinese curse sense of the term!) to see what their addressing strategy will be. I fear an unnecessarily compromised approach to residential addressing with more freedoms being a paid-for 'luxury' offering of business packages. I live in hope that those concerns turn out to be unwarranted though.

summers
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@MJN wrote:

@summers wrote:

Takes me 26ms to even get to my plus.net gateway!

That's interesting - what does your traceroute to 192.88.99.1 look like?

traceroute to 192.88.99.1 (192.88.99.1), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
 1  195.166.130.255 (195.166.130.255)  25.125 ms  25.125 ms  25.103 ms
 2  84.93.253.123 (84.93.253.123)  25.767 ms  25.844 ms  25.648 ms
 3  core1-BE1.southbank.ukcore.bt.net (195.99.125.130)  25.955 ms  195.99.125.138 (195.99.125.138)  25.134 ms  core1-BE1.southbank.ukcore.bt.net (195.99.125.130)  25.705 ms
 4  core6-hu0-4-0-26.faraday.ukcore.bt.net (109.159.252.146)  25.841 ms  core6-hu0-3-0-26.faraday.ukcore.bt.net (109.159.252.142)  26.267 ms  core6-hu0-0-0-26.faraday.ukcore.bt.net (195.99.127.70)  26.178 ms
 5  166-49-209-194.gia.bt.net (166.49.209.194)  30.671 ms  core6-hu0-7-0-35.faraday.ukcore.bt.net (62.6.201.247)  25.925 ms  25.280 ms
 6  *  *  *
 7  100ge6-2.core1.ams1.he.net (72.52.92.214)  31.987 ms  *  31.735 ms
 8  100ge6-2.core1.ams1.he.net (72.52.92.214)  31.289 ms  192.88.99.1 (192.88.99.1)  32.188 ms  31.981 ms

So 25ms to my gateway, then another 7ms to he.net in what I guess is amsterdam. And the interesting bit for me is it goes via bt, who has native ipv6 ...

SimonHobson
Rising Star

And the interesting bit for me is it goes via bt, who has native ipv6 ...

BT own Plusnet, they enabled pretty well all their customers for native IPv6 a few years ago. Yet here we are still with no clue when PN might extract their digit.

MJN
Pro

@summers wrote:

So 25ms to my gateway

I've just thought; is that on ADSL? If so I've had FTTC for quite a while so perhaps that sort of round trip time is par for the course for ADSL connection? If so it's likely a red herring and I'd go back to the nature of 6to4 likely being to blame for any noticeable IPv6 performance issues.

summers
Aspiring Pro

@MJN wrote:

@summers wrote:

So 25ms to my gateway

I've just thought; is that on ADSL? If so I've had FTTC for quite a while so perhaps that sort of round trip time is par for the course for ADSL connection? If so it's likely a red herring and I'd go back to the nature of 6to4 likely being to blame for any noticeable IPv6 performance issues.

Yes its ADSL - and probably why I've not had a problem with 6to4 - as most of my delay is to my gateway, and I get that for all internet connections. I have some like half a mile from the house to the cabinet, then that has half a mile into the main exchange. The half mile into the cabinet (I'm end of that line, don't think any houses beyond me are on the same cabinet) - somewhere picks up noise. Every so often the line just gets *very* noisy. Did dig into it once - but never managed to establish a pattern ...

Anyway the half mile to the cabinet says I'd probably get least from FTTC. Have recently started getting fibre to the front door,  so far I've sucked air on if I go for it or not ...

MJN
Pro

@summers wrote:

Yes its ADSL - and probably why I've not had a problem with 6to4 - as most of my delay is to my gateway, and I get that for all internet connections.

I thought you did have problems with IPv6? You said previously that your IPv6 connection was 'not a good connection'. It will never be better than your IPv4 connectivity given you are tunnelling over IPv4 for some of the way.

summers
Aspiring Pro

@MJN wrote:

@summers wrote:

Yes its ADSL - and probably why I've not had a problem with 6to4 - as most of my delay is to my gateway, and I get that for all internet connections.

I thought you did have problems with IPv6? You said previously that your IPv6 connection was 'not a good connection'. It will never be better than your IPv4 connectivity given you are tunnelling over IPv4 for some of the way.

Meant that 6to4 is depreciated, and it depends on the goodwill of plus.net to forward connection to the ipv6 gateway, when there is no service level agreement to do that. 6to4 is not a long term solution, but it works for now.

Its why native IPv6 is better, and other than for commercial reasons (e.g. differentiating from BT offering) there seems no good reason  for going there. So we are left to wait till IPv4 breaks ...

summers
Aspiring Pro

18 month later, and coronavirus is still with us. Actually it won't be going away ever. So if coronavirus is never going away, does this mean plus.net will never get ipv6? Maybe the question should be, of the two impossible things, coronavirus going away, and plus.net getting ipv6, which isn't going to happen first?
summers
Aspiring Pro

OK just tried googling the latest statest of IPv6 on plusnet. The latest I can find is:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/11/update-on-ipv6-plans-for-virgin-media-talktalk-plusnet...

Where A plusnet spokesperson said on 6/11/21

A Plusnet Spokesperson told ISPreview.co.uk this week:

“There are a few more things we need to do before we can enable IPv6 on the Plusnet broadband network. We are still committed to the roll-out and hope to make good progress over the coming year.”

So is plusnet still "committed"? What are the things that need to be done before roll out? What progress has been made on those things in the last 10 months?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@summers The only thing Plusnet (or more precisely, it's masters in London) are committed to, is the stripping down of  the brand to a very basic broadband 'name'. I watch with horror al that is happening and am very, very pleased I got out when I did.

John
summers
Aspiring Pro

Yes - I suspect you are right - which is sad. I'll probably be leaving plus.net soon, its not clear how interested they are in providing simple internet connection. Also here in Bath I can get cable to the house, for same kind of price as plus,net does fibre to the cabinet - which is half a mile away!

Anyway, what gets my noodle, is if the masters are turning plus.net into bt-minus; why do plus.net spokesmen still say that IPv6 is coming? I'm not even sure why they bother with the spokesman, when there seems no interest in delivering IPv6.

Oh well, it is what it is, and so probably time to move on.