cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New IPv6 rollout - with, or without a new trial?

TimSmall
Grafter

New IPv6 rollout - with, or without a new trial?

Hello,

Since plusnet announced late last year that they are "committed to the roll out of IPv6", and are "in a good place with our internal testing which means we are hoping to start making this available to customers in Spring next year.” (search for "ispreview" "ipv6" "plusnet" for a few more details).

I was wondering if you'd be doing a staged rollout, and if so, this would be with a new opt-in trial?

It's been a while since I've had native IPv6 on Plusnet, and as great as my Hurricane Electric /48 is, it'd be nice to have untunneled IPv6 up again...

You will be making a /48 option availalbe FoC for those who want it, to make up for the long wait, right? :-).

Cheers,

Tim.

43 REPLIES 43
TheUptownRiver

Re: New IPv6 rollout - with, or without a new trial?

Also want to know.
SimonHobson
Rising Star

Well really there's no excuse not to hand out a /48 to anyone that wants it - it is (AIUI) recommended practice. The smallest allocation an ISP gets is a /32, which means they can give a /48 to 65,536 customers from one /32 allocation. They can have more than one allocation.

Worst case, they use just one allocation and hand out /56s (I think I could manage with "just" 256 subnets 😉) - that covers them for more than 24 million customers.

TheUptownRiver

MarcT512
Hooked

I'd also interested in this...

stephenw10
Rising Star

Yes, any sort of confirmation on this would be a huge motivator to stay with Plusnet.

Steve

TheUptownRiver

Plusnet, it is now 8 days into "Spring next year"
Tags (1)
mjps
Hooked

Hi everyone, I am someone else who believes in progress around here, it seems we are in the minority though!

I just can't understand what people have against IPv6, I reckon all the people complaining about it wont even notice when they are using it.

Plusnet seem to be dragging out the process, when do you guess they will bite the bullet, update the routers, and activate IPv6. As many threads have allready said many other ISPs' are up and running with minimal (if any) problems.

Best wishes, frustrated from Middlesbrough.

Tags (1)
strongy

it really is getting ridiculous whats with the procrastination bt have supported it for years, "BT IPv6 users about to hit 1 million" that was in 2017, "Sky Officially Completes the Roll-Out of IPv6" in 2016.

Tags (1)
summers
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I suspect that there is politics behind the scenes that we don't see. Probably something like BT wishing to keep clear blue water between BT as an ISP, and plusnet as their cheap offering. Anyway whatever the reason, its hard not to read it as somewhere high up in management, a decision has been to bury IPv6. Probably it got to the stage where plusnet staff are discouraged from saying anything about IPv6 - and that probably why we get no staff posting on this sub forum. All they probably can say, is all the have been saying for some time, that they can make no official statement (of any kind) at this time.

I don't know, what is one to read into all this? Maybe the long term pan is they just want everyone to move to BT internet, and just to have single offering; and so gentle pressure for us to move is a good thing.

Sigh, not even sure why I bother writing this, after all its not as though it will get a reply from anyone inside plusnet with any knowledge ...

SimonHobson
Rising Star

You might not get any answers from Plusnet - but you can have some thumbs ups 😉

stephenw10
Rising Star

Same 😉

I really love to see an update though.....

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

The update was they were looking to start rolling out in spring and then this happened.
PN are the value brand of BT and doubtfully going anywhere
But don’t let a pandemic get in the way of a good conspiracy theory
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
stephenw10
Rising Star

Thanks. I appreciate any update from people who actually know.

Yeah, obviously the timing is.... not ideal.

Still, you could be trying to roll out 5G. 😬

summers
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Well yes, of course we all hope that it is just a delay due to Covid19. That would be good.

Of course it would be nice to have plusnet say that in a post, then again it would have been nice had an official post on IPv6 rollout been made, rather than a comment in an interview.

Guess all we can can do is wait, and see what happens when Covid 19 comes to and end, so probably when a vaccine is developed in something like a year to 18 months.

Then hopefully I'll be unexpectedly surprised, rather than you being sadly disappointed.

So just to be clear, my snipe  if anything, was the lack of communication. Thats where my major worry is, why is there close to zero communication on IPv6?