cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New IPv6 rollout - with, or without a new trial?

Highlighted
Dabbler

New IPv6 rollout - with, or without a new trial?

Hello,

Since plusnet announced late last year that they are "committed to the roll out of IPv6", and are "in a good place with our internal testing which means we are hoping to start making this available to customers in Spring next year.” (search for "ispreview" "ipv6" "plusnet" for a few more details).

I was wondering if you'd be doing a staged rollout, and if so, this would be with a new opt-in trial?

It's been a while since I've had native IPv6 on Plusnet, and as great as my Hurricane Electric /48 is, it'd be nice to have untunneled IPv6 up again...

You will be making a /48 option availalbe FoC for those who want it, to make up for the long wait, right? :-).

Cheers,

Tim.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: New IPv6 rollout - with, or without a new trial?

Also want to know.
Highlighted
Rising Star

Well really there's no excuse not to hand out a /48 to anyone that wants it - it is (AIUI) recommended practice. The smallest allocation an ISP gets is a /32, which means they can give a /48 to 65,536 customers from one /32 allocation. They can have more than one allocation.

Worst case, they use just one allocation and hand out /56s (I think I could manage with "just" 256 subnets 😉) - that covers them for more than 24 million customers.

Highlighted

Highlighted

I'd also interested in this...

Highlighted
Grafter

Yes, any sort of confirmation on this would be a huge motivator to stay with Plusnet.

Steve

Plusnet, it is now 8 days into "Spring next year"
Tags (1)