Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just saw this, maybe the momentum for IPv6 will improve

matthews
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Just saw this, maybe the momentum for IPv6 will improve

Sky have the advantage that they "control" the hardware. You're not allowed non-Sky routers on their broadband package so they know who has what, what's compatible etc. This gives them a bit of an advantage over trialling it. Obviously what they don't control is the pieces beyond the router (such as the old Windows XP computer that will probably fall over if something tries to give it an IPv6 address!). In all fairness, I personally don't expect Sky to be moving quickly with this. They've got over 4 million customers, and while some will have come through from Be/O2, the vast majority of them are going to think that the internet is the blue e on the desktop and think you're rude if you start saying "IP"!
I could see Sky wanting to move to IPv6 so that your Sky box is accessible remotely actually. Would save a lot of polling resources if they could just push stuff to it with it having its own IP address. Bring on the Internet of Things (TM).
MrToast
Grafter

Well, I missed  the <a href="http://www.ipv6consultancy.com/ipv6blog/?p=94">IPv6 Enablers conference</a> where BT spoke of rolling out IPv6 in 2015.
Its not difficult to find reference to Virgin also planning on 2015.
Together this would account for ~50% of UK market.
chrcoluk
Grafter

good news
MrToast
Grafter

Quote from: BrianC
it just brings them [Sky] up to the same level as Plusnet were, oh, three years ago.

Well, I just took a look at <a href="https://www.stateoftheinternet.com/trends-visualizations-ipv6-adoption-ipv4-exhaustion-global-heat-map-network-country-growth-data.html#networks">Akamai's Stats</a> and see that someone at Sky seems to have switched something on in July. Currently at 2.3% when I can't see any other UK ISP feature on the list.
I'd say Sky are ahead today. Wonder where BT and Virgin Media are? They said they were starting Roll out in 2015 too.
Of course I also wonder where Plusnet are!
zpeterk
Grafter

I think Zen has now opened it's trial to all it's customers