Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 when?

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: IPv6 when?

MrC, yes you're there.
David W, you're not, did you want to be?
Jojo Smiley
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
MrC, yes you're there.

TVM Jojo  Wink
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

YVW Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

I did Jo, I have a Cisco 877W so am IPV6 ready Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

done Smiley
rogerhardiman

Joanne,
Please sign me up for any IPv6 trials.
I have an assortment of kit that supports IPv6 including several routers running OpenWRT, Linux boxes, FreeBSD boxes and various ADSL boxes.
I currently use Freenet6 (now called GoGo) and have a HE-Electric IPv6 block but never got Protocol 41 working through my router hence the reason I sit on Freenet6
I also have some BT Voyagers and back in 2008 there was an open source project which added IPv6 support to their firmware http://www.mcdonald.org.uk/andrew/voyager-ipv6/ which gives some interesting reading.
Roger Hardiman

cdosrun

Joanne,
Would you please sign me up for any IPv6 trial as well please?
I have a Netgear DM111P as modem and small array of virtualised Gentoo servers on VLANs for firewall, DNS etc.
Thank you,
Andrew
SimonHobson
Rising Star

Quote from: cdosrun
I have a Netgear DM111P as modem and small array of virtualised Gentoo servers on VLANs for firewall, DNS etc.

I have one of those, but I'm planning on switching to a Draytek Vigor 120 before the trial. I've seen nothing to suggest the DM111P supports IPv6, and because it does the PPP stuff with the ISP, IPv6 support would be needed in this device. The V120 just acts as a PPPoA over ADSL to PPPoE over ethernet bridge - and so the device behind it does the PPP and so the modem is transparent to the protocols used.
No doubt someone will now tell me I'm wrong and the DM111P does do IPv6 Roll_eyes
MrToast
Grafter

What might help is if PN disclosed a spec for the CPE (eg IPv6 Forum Phase 1/2 ) or some shedule of required features that will work with their pilot service. Otherwise its just going to be a 'try it and see' and may not be so helpful either to the trial members or to PN.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

These are all the things we have in the spec to work in the early versions of firmware we're going to testing with:

1. IPv6 logo for Router and Host
    (1) Core:
          IPv6 Specification: RFC2460
          Neighbor Discovery for IPv6: RFC4861
          ICMPv6: RFC4443
          Path MTU Discovery for IPv6: RFC1981
          IPv6 Addressing Architecture: RFC4291
          IPv6 Stateless Address AutoCfg: RFC4862
          Default Address Selection for IPv6: RFC3484
2. IPv4 and IPv6 dual-stack
3. DHCPv6 Client
    (1) DHCPv6 client for WAN
    (2) DHCPv6-PD
4. StateLess Address AutoConfiguration
5. ICMPv6: error code, RA, RS, NA, NS, DAD
6. IPv6 for PPPoE (fibre)
6b. IPv6 for PPPoA (ADSL)
7. Ping6
8. IPv6 Firewall
We've asked for RFC5006 - Stateless DNS Assignment as well.
Our initial trial phase is expected to be run as dual stack IPv4/IPv6 with the possibility of being able to move to dual stack IPv4 Carrier Grade NAT/IPv6 later on. Beyond the initial trial isn't set in stone yet so plans may change (we know how many IPs we have left for example and how long we expect them to last but we don't know whether we'll get any more or how many).
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
avatastic
Grafter

Quote from: SimonHobson
I have one of those, but I'm planning on switching to a Draytek Vigor 120 before the trial. I've seen nothing to suggest the DM111P supports IPv6, and because it does the PPP stuff with the ISP, IPv6 support would be needed in this device. The V120 just acts as a PPPoA over ADSL to PPPoE over ethernet bridge - and so the device behind it does the PPP and so the modem is transparent to the protocols used.

The DM111P can also operate in 'bridged' mode, which how I plan to use mine with IPv6 (and how I currently use it with IPv4)
No doubt someone will now tell me I'm wrong and the DM111P does do IPv6 Roll_eyes

Not wrong, just misguided Wink
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
SimonHobson
Rising Star

Quote from: avatastic

The DM111P can also operate in 'bridged' mode, which how I plan to use mine with IPv6 (and how I currently use it with IPv4)

I have mine in bridged mode. AFAICS, whether you choose PPPoA or PPPoE, the modem still does the PPP stuff and bridges the IP packets out to the attached device (so it's actually handling the IP packets). Unless the firmware supports IPv6 in it's PPP and IP stacks then I don't think it's going to bridge IPv6.
It may depends on device version. Mine's a V1 device (from 2006-ish !), the V2 manuals don't seem to want to download for me so I can't see it it's any different.
The Draytek V120 does it differently. It only bridges the PPP out to the attached device - so the attached device does PPPoE to the ISP and the modem doesn't handle any IP - it only passes the PPP and so should be completely IP protocol agnostic.
But then these are the sort of details such a trial is intended to sort out Huh
MrC
Grafter

Set the DM111P up in bridge mode and get something else to handle PPPoE behind it. A straightforward ATM modem doesn't need to know about IPv6 (or IP, or any other higher level protocol).
SimonHobson
Rising Star

Quote from: MrC

Set the DM111P up in bridge mode and get something else to handle PPPoE behind it. A straightforward ATM modem doesn't need to know about IPv6 (or IP, or any other higher level protocol).

OK - please suggest how to do this, because as far as I can see, this is a mode that is notsupported by this device. Thanks to purleigh I've now seen the manual for V2 and it's no different. In both PPPoA and PPPoE bridge mode, it still requires you to enter the username & password for your ADSL account.
Unlike the Draytek which is effectively just an ATM bridge, the Netgear is not. It runs it's own PPP stack and there is no way to have an attached device do PPPoE from behind it. Ie, the Netgear device runs PPo[AE] and talks to your ISP - it then squirts the IP packets out on the ethernet port. Unless the modem supports IPv6 in it's PPP and IP stack then I don't see it handling IPv6 for you.
SimonHobson
Rising Star

Quote from: MrC
Quote from: avatastic
XP Does support IPv6

With the important omission, which affects anyone using just a DSL modem, that it doesn't support ppp6. Another, slightly less important point, is no support for dhcp6. It could be that someone could provide these via an addon software package but it's something ISPs will have to consider if/when rolling out native ipv6 (ie without 4 to 6 gateways/proxies).

FYI - Mac OS X doesn't have DHCP6 either  Angry
I've already got IPv6 at home and work via HE's tunnel broker. But for what should be fairly obvious reasons I don't want to enable the whole office just yet. ISC's DHCP server will give me the config options I want but radvd won't - so I can't enable privacy options (I think defaulting to using the MAC address for a self assigned IPv6 address is a daft idea from a privacy POV).