Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 on TG582n

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

IPv6 on TG582n

Well, with the help of Mr Google I'm slowly getting there with reconfiguring the TG582n. (I have two TG582's so I'm being a bit gung ho knowing I can swap if it all goes mammaries elevated)
Steps so far (I've tried to boil it down to what worked - there were a number of false steps on the way):
1. Upgrade the router firmware to 10.2.2.B
2. Go to https://portal.plus.net/automatic_hardware_setup/index.php and disable auto setup This is to stop the router auto configuring your usual login.
3. In Telnet
service system modify name=CWMP-S state=disabled
saveall

I then did a router reboot - not sure if that was needed
4. If you now disconnect via the interface it should prompt you to enter the user name and password Dave provided. Check you can now connect successfully using that account (it will be IPv4 only).
5. Enable IPv6. In telnet
ppp ifdetach intf Internet
ppp ifconfig ipv6 enabled intf Internet
ppp ifattach intf Internet
saveall

That has got me as far as shown on the attached screenshot of the tbb IPv6 test.
I think I can see the issue. When I look at Internet details in the router it is blank against DNSserver 1 in TCP/IPv6 Settings.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
27 REPLIES 27
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: IPv6 on TG582n

Hi Jelv,
It sounds like you might have a client side issue as I implemented the very same config (actually, all I did was enable IPv6 via Telnet and manually changed the login details via the GUI) and it's working 100%.
I can confirm that my 'DNSServer 1' entry in the GUI is also blank so that's probably a red herring, however looking at a LAN packet trace the router is definitely acting as a DNS proxy over IPv6 (via both PN's IPv4 resolver and HE's IPv6 resolver in parallel as seen on an external trace).
Note however that the TG582n does not seem to support RFC 6106 IPv6 RA Options for DNS Configuration and so your clients will need a DHCPv6 client running if they are to automatically obtain the address of an IPv6-accessible resolver (this being the router in this instance).
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've just had time to get back to this.
I fired up an XP machine, installed IPv6 and away it went. Passed all the tests on the three sites Dave gave.
The machine that is partially working is Windows 7 - it's not resolving IPv6 addresses. Both IPv4 and IPv6 are set to obtain IP address and DNS servers automatically. As it's getting the IPv6 IP address (checked by ipconfig /all) that must mean the DHCPv6 client is working.
Any ideas?
MJN
Pro

What do you mean by not resolving IPv6 addresses? Even with IPv4 you should be able to do that (but not then connect to them).
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Progress! With a clear head I started some diagnosing on the Windows 7 PC
Test 1:
C:\Users\John>nslookup ipv6.google.com
Server:  dsldevice.lan
Address:  2a02:16c8:<removed>
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    ipv6.l.google.com
Address:  2a00:1450:4009:808::1013
Aliases:  ipv6.google.com

So DNS is working! So why do IPv6 test websites fail?
Test 2: Try a different browser.
Internet Explorer (version 11.0.9600.16476) - see attached. Progress but still something not right.
Test 3: Try another browser - Google Chrome (Version 31.0.1650.63 m).
Same result as IE
So Google Firefox (my normal browser) and IPv6. Bingo!
Network.dns.disableIPv6 changed that from true to false and things look a lot better. See second attachment.
Anyone any idea what's wrong with IE and Chrome?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: MJN
What do you mean by not resolving IPv6 addresses? Even with IPv4 you should be able to do that (but not then connect to them).

I was being misled by the second to last result in the tbb IPv6 results (see attachment to the first post).
MJN
Pro

Apologies, missed that bit!
On your second issue (IE issues) are you able to 'manually' connect to that blocked URL (http://[2a02:....) by copying it into the address bar? It is a correct example of a literal IPv6 address in a URL and has been supported by IE for many years now so ought to work.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

See attached.
It looks like some sort of security or firewall block.
Edit: http://[2a02:68:1::4]/ works
MJN
Pro

How successful are you with test-ipv6.com using IE?
The reason I ask is that some of these other IPv6 test sites seem to be based on old(er) versions of the original test-ipv6 site and thus could well contain bugs which may only manifest themselves in particular circumstances. I note many of them don't get updated and still say how you're going to be fine on World IPv6 Day... in 2011...
Incidentally, I too cannot access the full URL here so I'd put it down to something of a red herring, and possibly a broken site as suspected.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

See attached
MJN
Pro

What does the more info button say? Do you get an IPv4 or IPv6 address when visiting www.newtonnet.co.uk/whatismyip ?
MJN
Pro

I bet this is your problem; specifically:
Windows 8 tests IPv6 connectivity when you connect to a new network that advertises IPv6 routabilty, and it will only use IPv6 if IPv6 connectivity is actually functioning. This approach is a modification of our implementation of RFC 3484. Instead of sorting addresses as a result of policy, we use the actual state of the network as input to our algorithm. On a misconfigured network, this approach improves the experience not only for browsers but also for apps that connect to dual-stack destinations using standard Windows APIs.
Windows 8 performs the network connectivity test when you first connect to a new network; it caches this information and repeats the test every 30 days. The actual test for connectivity is a simple HTTP GET to an IPv6-only server that is hosted by Microsoft. (For standards buffs, this is implemented between rules 5 and 6 of destination address sorting in our implementation of RFC 3484.)

Yes, it is referring to Windows 8 however many 'features' of Windows 8 are often released as updates to Windows 7 too.
This is, in my view, a pretty poor thing for MS to do. The intent is understandable - afterall a broken IPv6 stack can cause mayhem - however their fix is using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. There are many ways in which the approach can fail and thus lead to a 'de-preferencing' of IPv6. Sure, Internet connectivity should continue but it doesn't help matters when you are trying to deploy and test IPv6!
MJN
Pro

Jelv, I'd be curious to see if disabling the registry entry EnableActivePolling as per this post cures your issue...
jelv
Seasoned Hero

http://[2A02:68:1:0:0:0:0:4]:80/v6test-ip-test.php?callback=? works when I paste the URL in to Firefox.
http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/whatismyip gives me the IPv4 address.
Have you found any way to flush the cache?
Disabling EnableActivePolling didn't help
Edit: I'm going to post about this on the tbb forums
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm having trouble getting the thinkbroadband ping graph to work on IPv6:
Where do I get the IPv6 address to use from?
Is there a separate setting on the TG582 to enable response to Ipv6 pings?