Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 Trial

Epyon
Grafter

Re: IPv6 Trial

Anyone want my test details?
i've done all i can do without having to buy a new router.
brueton
Grafter

Always interesting to hear results, that is the purpose of a trial, see how it goes and feedback results.
PB
knightnet

Hi all,
I'm a long-time PlusNet customer and have a nice new shiny Billion 7800N that is just raring to go IPv6! Is there room in the trial for a littl'un?
I've been playing with an HE tunnel for a bit but really want to get the router working.
Regards, Julian Knight
fourfourdevon
Grafter

I was expecting to be contacted by Plusnet, and have just been directed here.
Any chance of joining the trial now?
knightnet

Quote from: fourfourdevon
I was expecting to be contacted by Plusnet, and have just been directed here.
Any chance of joining the trial now?

I think that you will need someone to drop out of the trial. Nothing much is happening with the trial anyway - it certainly works fine, I've been on it since around my last post here. I've still some issues with my settings in that I cannot get a connection from the outside world to an internal machine & I'm still not sure what the issue is but I'm pretty sure that it is not a PlusNet issue.
Regards, Julian.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi Julian,
If you want to describe your issue further we might be able to get to the bottom of it between us?
Mathew
knightnet

Hi Mat, thanks for the offer. In truth I've not really had the time to sort things out but I'd welcome any ideas. I've plenty of experience with IPv4 but not v6.
I've got everything set up as expected. I'm using a Billion 7800N and have an IPv6 address of 2a02:16c8:2000:d00:204:edff:fe2d:7c45/56 which is picked up automatically by the router.
I've then a Windows 7 Ultimate laptop. I had the router so that it was giving the laptop an address in the above range but no matter what I did with firewalls in the router and Windows (turning them off completely on the laptop and setting a rule for allowing all IPv6 inbound) I was never able to ping or otherwise connect to any service on the laptop.
I've just noticed that the router seems to have lost some of its settings and I'm now getting internal addresses only (fe80::204:edff:fe2d:7c45/64) on DHCPv6. So the laptop wont be visible anyway now of course. I don't know why this got lost but I was certainly getting an externally routable address previously.
The Billion router has an entry on its "IPv6 Autoconfig" page called "Interface Address / Prefix Length" which I think I need to set to a subset of the external address range above?
Regards, Julian.
MJN
Pro

As you say, not having a global address on the laptop certainly won't allow things to work, and it could well be that whatever is causing that issue now may have played a role in your previous problems e.g. whilst your laptop may have considered itself to have had a global address your router might've had different ideas and may not have recognised the address as (still) being valid.
I'm not familiar with the Billion router(s) so unless someone else is and can compare their settings with you do you think it might help if you could post a screenshot of the IPv6 config page so we can see what options are available to us?
Mathew
AxeMurderer
Grafter

The only change needed from default settings on the Billion is to tick the IPv6 Enable box and reboot. However, it sometimes requires a reboot more than you think it should - or at least that is how it appears to me.
knightnet

Hi guys, thanks again for the offer of help.
The first attachment is the overall status screen:

And the second is the IPv6 config page:
MJN
Pro

My intuition is saying that the 'Interface Address/Prefix Length' box is only there if you want to statically assign an IPv6 to the LAN side of the router, and from that (given the inclusion of the prefix length) the router would then also be able to make addresses available to clients through DHCPv6 or Router Advertisements.
However, as the Status page shows, it has already assigned itself a LAN IPv6 address and so I can't see why that box would need to be filled. That said, perhaps it is worth a try in the absence of any other ideas so just copy-and-paste the address (including the /56 at the end) and see how you go. As another poster mentioned it might be worth rebooting a few times (router and laptop) just to ensure the address allocation/configuration is well and truly kick started back into life.
Mathew
knightnet

I've changed the settings on the router, saved and rebooted but Windows hasn't picked up the new address even though I've done an IPCONFIG /RENEW.
I've seen this before though, I don't think that /RENEW is very good! It often seems to fail.
In the mean time, I've run up Kiwi Syslog and I'm noticing an error coming from the router:
08-08-2011 15:34:39 Daemon.Warning 192.168.1.254 Aug 08 14:34:40  home radvd[16596]: our AdvPreferredLifetime on br0 for 2a02:16c8:2000:d00:: doesn't agree with fe80::204:edff:fe2d:7c45
It maybe that this is the reason for the problem and possibly related to the issue that others have mentioned - having to restart the router several times.
I'm rather pushed for time just now and I don't really want to reboot the PC so I'll try resetting the router again. Over the last couple of days it has been dropping its connection anyway so the rate is all over the shop at the moment.
brueton
Grafter

Have you seen my posts in the "Billion 7800N IPv6 no longer working" thread? I have an ongoing issue with my 7800N and ipv6.
Would be interested if it is the same problem as you are having.
I have a manual fix that needs to be applied after each reboot / disconnection. I can email my notes if it would help.
PB
knightnet

Thanks Pete, I'll have a look at that.
Re my laptop, I realised that I should have done an IPCONFIG /RENEW6
But when I did this, I got the error:
An error occurred while renewing interface GB Ethernet Wired : The system cannot find the file specified.

Go figure! I know I need to reboot my laptop, its just I've so much open and on the go.
cdosrun

I have just tried the IPv6 trial and am trying to use both my normal connection and trial simultaneously but am running into a problem. I can set up either PPP connections but as soon as I try to bring the second one online, the other drops. I cannot see a technical reason why I cannot run two PPP connections simultaneously through the ADSL connection, but I would be grateful for someone correcting me if I am wrong. Is it a limitation imposed by Plusnet?
I use the static IP on my existing connection as I host my own MX server at home and am trying to avoid moving the IP over with the DNS but will if necessary.
In terms of equipment:
Draytek Vigor 120 modem (FW 3.2.6) -> Linksys managed switch on untagged VLAN -> tagged VLAN to trunked server connection (Gentoo host running VMWare) -> Virtual Gentoo firewall.
I hope that is enough details, but would be grateful for any comments as to running to PPP connections or anything else I may be missing. I am currently running an HE IPv6 tunnel without issue.

Andrew