Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 Trial on Asus N66U

AndyH
Grafter

Re: IPv6 Trial on Asus N66U

Just to add...
There was another Asus FW released today - 3.0.0.4.374.4561 which includes a IPv6 firewall by Merlin.
I've upgraded to this and IPv6 has stopped working completely. I've tried downgrading and clearing the nvram without any luck...
chrcoluk
Grafter

I hit ipv6 issues as well, but I am using merlin firmware.
I was using a version that was 4-5 versions old, due to wanting to use mtu 1500.
IPv6 works perfect on RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_374.35_4 but is broken on RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_374.39_0, as I said is a few versions in between so dont know which breaks, I reported to merlin.
In the log on the router the following shows repeatedly at least once a minute.
Feb 26 05:30:02 radvd[702]: prefix length should be 64 for br0
It is not related to the ipv6 firewall, as that is in the 35_4 build and works fine.  It appears to be an issue with radvd or dhcp-pd.
However unlike yourself as soon as I downgraded my firmware ipv6 is fine again, it didnt stay broken.
RT-AC66U_3.0.0.4_374.39_0 is based on asus version 374_583 and 35_4 is based on I believe 374_339, I hope this helps.
--update--
This should be fixed in 374.40 alpha8
AndyH
Grafter

This is merlin's update on the problem:
There's numerous issues in recent Asus releases in regard to IPv6. Saintdev and another contributor has been fixing a few of these lately, Asus has also been fixing some of them in newer releases. Consider IPv6 as still being a work-in-progress in general. It seems that not two ISPs are handling IPv6 the same way, and each one has its own specifics.

chrcoluk
Grafter

yes I spoke to him already today by email, and it was saintdev who alerted me to the fix in the alpha.
He is hoping to have a new BETA release out this weekend but its not defenite it will happen.
AndyH
Grafter

I think the problem must be with the DHCP-PD because the router itself is getting assigned the correct static IPv6 address - even though it does not show this in the routing tables correctly. I have a TBB Ping Graph running and this still works fine.
Hopefully the update will come and it will fix the problem. I am a little confused though how:
3.0.0.4.374.2050 - works ok
3.0.0.4.374.2239 - did not work
3.0.0.4.374.4422 - worked ok (until I upgraded again)
3.0.0.4.374.4561 - did not work
chrcoluk
Grafter

Well if you want to switch to merlin 3.0.0.4_374.35_4 is a very solid version, I am on it currently.
Merlin uses the ASUS firmware as his base so the UI design etc. is the same.  He just adds fixes (some of which asus copy and put in their own firmware, they respect him)  and also a few added features.
The one where this issue is predicted to be fixed is 3.0.0.4_374.40 ALPHA build 8, which currently only exists for the AC68U and RT-N16.  I own a RT-N16 but cant be bothered to connect it up to test if fixed 😛
I suspect they made fixes for comcast which has much wider spread ipv6 use and broke other isp's in the process.
chrcoluk
Grafter

beta build is out, downloading now.
http://www.lostrealm.ca/asuswrt-merlin/changelog.txt
confirmed fixed in 374.40.
BrianC
Dabbler

As another option to consider: I also have an RT-N66U, but I reflashed it with Shibby Tomato (tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-116-AIO-64K.trx). The functionality offered is very impressive, as long as you're not overwhelmed by options.
Since I didn't get into the trial for native IPv6, here's what I've done. Warning: this is not for the faint-hearted!

family SSID              tech SSIDs (2.4+5GHz)
                  ^                        ^
                  ^                  WAN  ^    LAN
Plusnet <------- TG582n ------------------ Tomato ---------------
HE <- - - - - -'          family network          techie network
                              (v4 only)                (v4+v6)

* I configured a 6in4 interface on the Plusnet TG582n router with a tunnelbroker.net (Hurricane Electric) account, as per the instructions at
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,106578.0.html/
* However I didn't configure the TG582n LAN side interface with v6. I wanted to keep the "family" part of the network free of IPv6. HE's tunnelbroker service is, after all, a free service with no service level agreement, and I don't want to get into any additional troubleshooting.
* Under Advanced > Routing, I configured the Asus Tomato in "router" rather than "gateway" mode (which means it routes between WAN/LAN but no NAT), gave it a different v4 subnet on its LAN side, and added a static route for this subnet on the TG582n. Tomato serves DHCP for its own LAN network. (Incidentally, the web interface makes it much easier to assign addresses statically than the TG582n)
* I configured my tunnelbroker /64 on the LAN side of the Asus Tomato, pointed IPv6 defaultroute at the TG582n, and configured a static route on the TG582n routing this /64 to the Asus. Since the family network has no v6 addresses, I used the link-local addresses (FE80::xxxxx) as the next-hop addresses in both directions.
Tomato doesn't let you add IPv6 static routes directly, so I had to frig it by using a script triggered on WAN up (under Administration > Scripts)

ip -6 route add ::/0 via fe80::xxxx:xxff:fexx:xxxx dev vlan2

And for the TG582n you have to do it through the command line (:ip rtadd)

:ip rtadd dst=2001:470:aaaa:aaaa::/64 gateway=fe80::yyyy:yyff:feyy:yyyy intf=LocalNetwork

Amazingly, It all actually works 🙂
A much simpler option would be to get rid of the TG582n and use the Asus as the border router - I have fibre so it's a PPPoE connection to the BT modem. However I like the Plusnet router being there so I can continue to play with the Asus without breaking the main network, and it was fun to debug 🙂
AndyH
Grafter

Another update on this one...I tried upgrading to Merlin's 374.40 build and have problems with IPv6.
This is what I've posted on Merlin's thread for the build:
I am struggling with IPv6 (ISP native) on 374.40
The IPv6 pre-fix/DNS bug seems to have been fixed, but when I am accessing certain websites they will not load - either showing in the status bar "Waiting for xxx.com" (unc.edu for example) or "Establishing secure connection" (Facebook). All the websites that do not work support IPv6 (I think). However the strange thing is sites like http://ipv6.google.com and http://test-ipv6.com work fine.
At first, I thought it was a problem with my Mac, Chrome or Safari. But I found the same problem is occurring on my Windows machines.
If I disable IPv6 on the router, then all sites load again without any issues. There are no errors in the System Log.
I have tried renewing my DHCP settings and also flushing the DNS cache, but without luck.
The only solution I have is to run 'networksetup -setv6off Ethernet' and disable IPv6 on my Mac.