Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 Trial Tests and Feedback

chrcoluk
Grafter

Re: IPv6 Trial Tests and Feedback

Quote from: SiPurdy
Quote from: dave
We're currently running an IPv6 trial. At the moment the trial is closed to new applicants, should we have additional space we post a new thread asking for volunteers.

Missed out on the first batch of accounts  :(, would be nice if people who volunteered in the first batch where first in the queue for the second batch.

agreed.
I also hope the 2nd batch is bigger and within the expected 2 weeks as well, I was surprised how small this batch is.  Although I do understand why I didnt get an account considering I am not even a activated plusnet customer yet.
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: chrcoluk
I also hope the 2nd batch is bigger and within the expected 2 weeks as well...

Hi, just to clarify the post by Dave said a couple of weeks rather than giving an actual number.  As this is a small trial at the moment please don't expect hard and fast deadlines for when more accounts will be released.  The process for creating test users is entirely manual so is not something we are planning to do a huge number of right now and obviously quite a few people will be on holiday over the Christmas period.
If it helps in any way the IPv6 world doesn't look much different to the IPv4 one after the initial shiny factor has worn off.
Plusnet Staff - Lead Network Design/Delivery Engineer
chrcoluk
Grafter

understandable if 100s applied, but was barely 20 Wink come on you know you can do it Smiley christmas present for the few remaining.
jim:quote
AndyH
Grafter

When there is a move over to IPv6, end user routers are going to have to be far more simplified to setup IPv6 for the majority. Looking at some of the threads on here, it is a real battle with some routers at the moment and even the technically minded are struggling!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@ AndyH, I'm glad to say the Fritz!Box makes this (relatively) easy, just tick 'IPv6 support enabled', select 'Always use a native IPv6 connection' then, under 'Connection Settings' I chose the first option 'Automatically negotiate a global address'.
I have also left 'Use DHCPv6 Rapid Commit' ticked (default) and it all just seems to work.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: AndyH
When there is a move over to IPv6, end user routers are going to have to be far more simplified to setup IPv6 for the majority. Looking at some of the threads on here, it is a real battle with some routers at the moment and even the technically minded are struggling!

Isn't that the real purpose of this trial ? (rather than testing Plusnet's infrastructure)
The chosen trialists with their differing hardware will figure out how to get their particular setup working, and where it wasn't straight forward they will post step by step instructions here for others to follow.  This will act as a user generated library on the subject - so Plusnet support can continue to refer customers to this Forum rather than providing technical help on router configuration.
SimonHobson
Rising Star

Quote from: Picnic
Note to self, check here more often - if not you'll miss the trial Sad

The trick is to set an alert on the Forum section. With the "IPv6 Trial" list of topics showing, click on "Notify" over to the right near the top. You'll then get an email each time there's a new thread.
You can do the same with an individual thread and be notified of replies. This can also be turned on while replying by clicking on "Additional Options and Attachments …" below the text entry box, and ticking "Notify me of replies". Assuming it's the same as other forums I use, you should be able to set this to default to on in your user settings - I keep forgetting to go and do this.
EDIT: Yes - Click on Profile in the menu strip near the top of the page, and got to "Notifications and Email".
Quote from: paulmh5
If it helps in any way the IPv6 world doesn't look much different to the IPv4 one after the initial shiny factor has worn off.

Very true - for the casual use you won't see any difference. Once you start using it, as a technical user, it does make a shedload of things easier - like making SSH access available to multiple internal systems.
The goal is, I think, to make it so that the average non-technical user just doesn't notice the difference.
PLan
Grafter

Quote from: chrcoluk
understandable if 100s applied, but was barely 20 Wink

Yes it's a bit irritating to be in the 1st dozen applicants, offer choice of two different routers(one popular, one relatively unusual), and still apparently not get selected.  Huh
dragon2611
Grafter

Blast it, wish I'd seen earlier there was a new trial going on.
I'd be interested in signing up.
Currently have 6in4 from HE.net but I'd love to have a proper allocation from my ISP Hint Hint  Wink
dragon2611
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH

I'm more worried about whether they have a firewall with the default rules setup to drop unsolicited inbound traffic otherwise I forsee a spate of hacked printers, IP cams and who knows what else.
Picnic
Grafter

Quote from: SimonHobson
The trick is to set an alert on the Forum section. With the "IPv6 Trial" list of topics showing, click on "Notify" over to the right near the top. You'll then get an email each time there's a new thread.

Thanks Simon, I actually sussed this for myself as I realised I needed to be quicker off the blocks Wink
avatastic
Grafter

Dave T,
Are there any tests that you'd like those of us on a tunnel to do for a comparison?
Or anyone else for that matter who's on the trial and would like to check on any differences they think they're now seeing with native rather than tunnelled?
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'm up for any reasonable/manageable testing requested (subject to availability), on trial but since 'all's well' so far I might volunteer to pass my test login to someone else to 'widen the scope' of the trial - possibly the end of the week to see if anything goes wrong meanwhile.
I have to say, there's nothing at all untoward so far.  Pings to google.com now work via IPv6 in preference to IPv4 but apart from such minor things it's really just 'internet as usual'.
C:\Users\Alastair>ping google.com
Pinging google.com [2a00:1450:4009:804::1000] from 2a02:16c8:2000:a01:xxxx:f952:
10cd:9fe4 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2a00:1450:4009:804::1000: time=24ms
Reply from 2a00:1450:4009:804::1000: time=23ms
Ping statistics for 2a00:1450:4009:804::1000:
   Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
   Minimum = 23ms, Maximum = 24ms, Average = 23ms
C:\Users\Alastair>ping /4 google.com
Pinging google.com [173.194.34.128] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 173.194.34.128: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=56
Reply from 173.194.34.128: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=56
Ping statistics for 173.194.34.128:
   Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
   Minimum = 23ms, Maximum = 25ms, Average = 23ms
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
SimonHobson
Rising Star

Quote from: dragon2611
I'm more worried about whether they have a firewall with the default rules setup to drop unsolicited inbound traffic otherwise I forsee a spate of hacked printers, IP cams and who knows what else.

If you look at the specs of pretty well any consumer grade router these days, they mostly sport a stateful filter. I'd find it hard to imagine any manufacturer would default to anything but "block inbound traffic".
dragon2611
Grafter

Quote from: SimonHobson

If you look at the specs of pretty well any consumer grade router these days, they mostly sport a stateful filter. I'd find it hard to imagine any manufacturer would default to anything but "block inbound traffic".

You'd be suprised at the number that implement that for IPv4 only  Shocked