Did you mean: 

IPv6 Trial - Space for a couple more

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 6

Re: IPv6 Trial - Space for a couple more

Hi,
I can fill in a bit more of the gaps of what's happening behind the scenes but can't give you any timescales as yet as not everything has been scheduled in.
The work we need to do will split down into a number of different areas:
CPE
Broadband Access Network
Core Network
Transit and Peering
OSS and CRM systems (including VMBU)
DNS
RADIUS
Plusnet hosted services (email, website, homepages, etc.)
And everything else not listed above
The core network is done, we have transit and peering in place, a few more bits to do and the broadband access network is set up as we have people using it. DNS and RADIUS as well as building the backend support into the OSS and CRM systems are the next biggies to do and part of the reason why the trial is limited to a set of test logins for now.
From CPE we're talking to our suppliers about IPv6 support, the Netgear WNR1000 and Netgear WNR3500 that we supply on FTTC and FTTP and the Technicolor TG582n should all be fine once the IPv6 firmwares are ready. Technicolor TG789vn that we supplied in FTTP has a beta IPv6 firmware already and we've tested that on the trial without issues (other than working out what settings to change).
We're still talking to Technicolor about the TG585v8 and are hopeful we can have IPv6 support on it but it's working out what can and can't be done and whether anything has to be left out to get it in. TG585v7 can't support IPv6.
Things are moving in the right direction, we have a lot of work to do though so it will take time. In parallel to IPv6 there's also Carrier Grade NAT being looked at. We know that there will come a point where we can't get any more IPv4 addresses, we know what our projections for IPv4 are and we can make assumptions about what our IPv6 take-up will be like. But there will be places on the Internet that only have IPv4 and no IPv6 and there will be places on the Internet that only have IPv6. There will also be devices that don't support IPv6. New PCs with Windows 7 and Mac OS X will be fine but some older stuff won't be and some games consoles and other devices don't have IPv6 support currently (some may never). As such even if IPv6 is widespread a lot of people are still going to need IPv4. We're planning on running everything dual stack so users will be able to be allocated both a v4 and v6 address. Given that this is likely to be the case for a very long time (several years at least) some people will be allocated a CG-NAT address. How exactly that will work and who will get what type of address has yet to be decided but it's all part of our IPv6 strategy.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
jwhosborne
Dabbler

Hi Dave,
A bit late in the game, be I'd be interested in trailing the IPv6.  I'm currently using 6to4 via HE.  I've got a Netgear WNR3500v2 which does v6 PPoE and DHCP.
Thanks
Julian
SimonHobson
Rising Star

Some of us who signed up early on still haven't got to try it. There's been talk of people "handing back" their test logins when they're done - but it doesn't seem like anyone has.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think the trick would be to require the trialists to complete a regular trial evaluation report as a condition for staying on the trail. Those that are staying on the trial because of inertia probably wouldn't conform - change the password on the trial account and kick their connection and hey presto one trial account is free for someone else.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 6

Simon/Julian - I have a few that aren't currently being used, I'll PM you both the details so you can give it a try.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
hazzamon
Grafter

If there are any more logins available I'm still interested in participating in the trial. Smiley
I'm running a Netgear WNDR4000 with a DrayTek Vigor 120 modem.
jwhosborne
Dabbler

Hi Dave,
You can have my IPv6 account back now.  The problem seems to be with the router (Netgear WNR3500v2) which has the most up to date firmware that is available.  The router seems to lock up if any amount of IPv6 traffic goes through it.
Thanks for the opportunity to test.  The Netgear, by the way, let me use 6to4, still crashes under all but minimal traffic, however if I try to use PPoE for IPv6 it gives up about about 30 seconds.
Hopefully Netgear will release an improved firmware in the not to distant future.
All the best with the IPv6 roll out
Julian
jwhosborne
Dabbler

Hi Dave
If what was posted here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96350.msg812660.html#msg812660 is true, will plusnet replace my netgear which they provided me for the fibre trial with a router which is knows to work flawlessly with IPv6?
Thanks
Julian
ascent
Dabbler

Can you please put me down for the IPV6 trial.
My Billion BiPAC 7800N arrives in a couple of days.
Regards,
Chris.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Afternoon all, if you'd like to join the trial then please note that I have a few Thomson 582n routers with IPv6 firmware to send out over the next couple of weeks, feel free to request one - just drop me a pm.
WelshPaul
Grafter

I would be interested in helping!  Smiley
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Me to. If you have got any more room, let me know.
njhous

I would also be interested.  Have a new Draytek 2710 router.
regards,  Nick
seanyseansean

Hi, i'd love to join this trial. All my kit is compliant apparently, and it'd help me for the time when I have to do the same at work. Thank you!
seanyseansean

In addition, i'm using a 7800N. I know there are problems with this, but i've also got a Cisco 870 I can use too.