Did you mean: 

IPv6 Trial - Space for a couple more

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

IPv6 Trial - Space for a couple more

Hi,
If anyone missed out on being on the original list and has a router and PC capable of supporting IPv6 please let me know as I have a couple of accounts spare.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
122 REPLIES 122
customersmatter

Re: IPv6 Trial - Space for a couple more

Dave,
Hi. I currently have IPv6 enabled via HE but I'd be interested in an alternative approach if its available. What sort of router do you need? Are you offering a tunneled approach? Are all the details written down somewhere that I can browse? I don't want to lose my existing ipv6 sub-domain which is delegated from 1and1 to HE who provide forward/reverse IPv6 DNS facilities - do you offer the same facility?
Thanks,
Tim.
--
See my IPv6 firewall tester : http://ipv6.chappell-family.com/ipv6tcptest/index.php
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Tim,
It's native IPv6 running in a dual stack IPv4/IPv6 setup. We provide a separate username to your normal username so you get a different IPv4 address along with the IPv6 address. It's a trial basis only so no reverse DNS. There's no deadline to the trial yet, although we'd like to get 25 people on for IPv6 day on Wednesday. The router needs to support IPv6 over PPPoE and DHCPv6. Or you need to have a modem/router that can be setup to work in bridge mode then do the PPPoE/DHCPv6 on a client PC running Windows 7 or Linux.
Don't have a lot written down yet unfortunately other than the other threads in this forum as it's pretty much trial and error at the moment, we've got the base config built and running on the network and tried out a few different routers and got a few customers on the trial but that's about it so far.
Like I say for IPv6 day it's more about just getting people online and seeing how things go, over the coming months we'll be looking at all the other things we can do.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
Bremmy
Dabbler

Dave,
I'd be willing to take part if you'll have me. Router is IPV6-capable (Billion 7800N, which I believe others are using).
Alan
topic

I'd love to give it a go. I have a simple netgear modem (dm111p) in PPPoA bridging mode connected to an x86 linux box for routing. I'm not sure if that meets your criteria, but please let me know if I can help with the testing. - Graeme
customersmatter

Dave,
Thanks for your reply - I think I'll stay with my current setup until you have rDNS support - but once that is supported then I'd be very interested in being involved.
Thanks again,
Tim.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Tim, no worries, you could just test it out for the day if you like of course.
Graeme and Alan. I'll send you a PM with the usernames and passwords you'll need to use. We've set IPv6 up on a set of test usernames so that if there are any problems then you can easily switch back to your own details.
The usernames will give you a static IPv4 address and dynamic IPv6. You'll need to use DHCPv6 on your router/linux box. I don't see any reason why either setup shouldn't work although we've no real experience so if you do have any problems the best thing to do is post here, I know a couple of the other customers are using the Billion 7800N as you say Alan although the Linux setup has had a few issues (you may need to use PPPoE instead of PPPoA).
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: Tim
Thanks for your reply - I think I'll stay with my current setup until you have rDNS support - but once that is supported then I'd be very interested in being involved.

You could always run your existing tunnel and Plusnet's native IPv6 side-by-side... they're not turning IPv4 off just yet!  Wink  Better still, you get a static IPv4 assignment too which might be a bonus if you don't have one already.
Mathew
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Quote from: Bremmy
Dave,
I'd be willing to take part if you'll have me. Router is IPV6-capable (Billion 7800N, which I believe others are using).
Alan

You'll need to upgrade your firmware  to 1.06d
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
SBComs

Hi
We are currently interested in trialing IPV6 if you have any spaces left.
Cheers
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Welcome aboard and welcome to the forum, I've sent you a PM (click My Messages at the top of the page) with the PPP username and password you'll need to use for the trial. Let us know how you get on.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
pcmanning
Grafter

I'm also interested - currently have a Vigor 120 modem hooked up to a Linksys Wrt54g which is running OpenWRT which is IPv6 capable.  Any more spaces left?
Paul
alanhulme

I have 4 desktops all awaiting a v6 IP address, all connected by a Billion 7800N with the latest firmware supporting ipv6. I updated it yesterday for this occasion. Thanks
alanhulme

I finally got it working on a Billion 7800n.
I set the connection to PPPoE, with an Encap. method of LLC/SNAP-Bridging. Otherwise the router would hang and become unresponsive.
The net appears to be just as fast however my father has noticed momentary pauses in speed when visiting links. However, on my desktop I haven't noticed any speed drop or decrease, even slightly.
Also, I tried MJN's cat feeder Cheesy excellent if not zany idea!
Thanks again for letting me participate.
brueton
Grafter

What version of firmware are you using on the 7800N? You said "the latest"
I am using 1.06d, which is the latest on the Billion UK website, and left the connection on PPPoA, without problems.
PB