cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 Petition

ashleysprigg
Dabbler

IPv6 Petition

HI, heres something for you all just to test the water.

Sign the petition below to show plusnet how important IPv6 is or to at least get a responce to when IPv6 is coming.

So to stop me looking stupid, lets try and get more than 3 people to sign it lol.

Sign at the below website guys.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/plusnet-native-ipv6-for-all-customers

40 REPLIES 40
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: IPv6 Petition

Not sure this will speed them up but it may let them know how many (or few (I hope not)) want this 'step into the current century' from our ISP.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
SimonHobson
Rising Star

Well only 6 sigs at the moment, so not looking very good Sad

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SimonHobson - Not the end of the world, chances are most users will be at work and not be able to respond, so make sure you keep the thread active so it's noticed.

30FTTC06
Pro

Tick.

w23
Pro

Bumping not permitted Wink

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
SimonHobson
Rising Star

I'll not bump it then Wink

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I wouldn't advise it Wink

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who is it that keeps bumping this thread?

SimonHobson
Rising Star

Not me Grin

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Must confess I know little about this topic but from what I have read on the internet it's introduction would be of benefit to both users and the IPS and at some stage they will have to introduce it anyway due to running out of addresses on the current system so why do they not get on with it ? Is it due to additional costs or other problems ?

We are born into history and history is born into us.
brueton
Grafter

I would guess that there are other priorities e.g. The new network.

I mentioned IPv6 to a friend who uses her computer every day and her reply was:

1) What is IPv6?

2) Do I need it?

SimonHobson
Rising Star

Yes, it's one of those things that's coming whether anyone likes it or not. ISPs that don't yet have a plan should look at how it worked out for the various online services (like AOL) that tried to resist the tide of "the internet" and keep their walled garden systems. Hint, none of them survived as walled garden systems when everyone else went to the internet.

As to why they appear to be dragging their feet ? Well only PlusNet manglement can answer that one. I can only assume that at the high levels it's not getting the focus it deserves. Meaning, that sufficient funds etc haven't been put into the areas needed to make it work. And there is a lot needed to make it all work - providing the addresses and routing them is the relatively easy bit. They need to manage it all, and upgrade the management systems (and customer portal) to support it, and a host of stuff.

It's the sort of stuff that's "easy" at the home/office level (I've done it) - it's not so trivial when you scale it to ISP level Cheesy

SimonHobson
Rising Star

@brueton wrote:

1) What is IPv6?

To which the answer is: You don't need to know - in much the same way that you don't need to know what a spark plug is to be able to use a car. If you like to know "how stuff works" then it's quite interesting, but as an end user you can just let it be an SEP* to make it happen.

2) Do I need it?

And similarly, the answer is: Yes. Not "right now this minute", but over time you'll come across stuff that "doesn't work" if you don't have it.

* SEP = Someone Else's Problem

SimonHobson
Rising Star

Perhaps a better analogy might be that in order to get from A to B by train, you don't need to know anything about* (takes deep breath) :

Railway track design, railway signalling design and operation, railway power supply design & operation, traction systems, braking systems, communication systems, scheduling (timetabling) systems, ticketing system design, inter-company accounting practices, etc, etc, etc.

You just need to know that other people have taken care of all these things - so you can buy a ticket, get on the train when it arrives at A and get off it when it arrives at B.

Behind the scenes, if the network as a whole decides to upgrade the track-train signalling systems (as has happened a couple of times), and your local train operator decides not to upgrade it's rolling stock - then over time (as the changes come in and bit of the network are no longer accessible to trains without the new system), you'll find that when you want to travel to C, the train can't take you there.

But if all you want to do is travel between A and B (and back again), Mon-Fri, week in and week out - then it won't make any difference.

Of course, where this analogy breaks down is that to get to C you travel to B and change to another train that does go to C. Well there is a certain amount of that possible on the internet, but it's only a certain amount.

* For some of us, knowing about some of this is an end in itself. Here the analogy is that those of us who like playing with "the greasy bits" will be found in the forums here (and elsewhere) talking about the stuff that does make IPv6 work. To those who don't care - we might as well be conversing in Klingon Roll_eyes