Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help wirh setup of TP-Link WDR3600 for IPv6

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Help wirh setup of TP-Link WDR3600 for IPv6

Ok, so after receiving my test login on friday, and spending several hours trying to setup this router for IPv6 and getting nowhere, other than increasingly frustrated, i've reset my router and started afresh.
So hears where i'm at now, i've entered the trial login and am connected and have ipv4 working.
Over to the IPv6 tab and i've 4 options for WAN, DHCPv6, PPPoEv6, Static IPv6 and Tunnel 6to4 (i tried both DHCP and PPP on friday)
It was suggested on another thread i should try DHCP with the 'Get IPv6 prefix delegation' checked which i've done

Saved the settings and rebooted the router.
Head to IPv6 Status tab an nothing (also confirmed by the various IPv6 test sites)

Any suggestions?
13 REPLIES 13
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Help wirh setup of TP-Link WDR3600 for IPv6

Looks like a very similar problem here
Hopefully someone from PN will pick this up and explain how their system is set up for publishing addresses to a customer router.  In the meantime it may be worth seeing if TP-LINK have got a newer firmware that supports radvd on the WAN port?
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Do you know how that other user got those logs? They could be useful to see what's happening with yours.
DaveyH
Champion

Quote from: pwatson
In the meantime it may be worth seeing if TP-LINK have got a newer firmware that supports radvd on the WAN port?

I'm runnin the latest f/w > http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-WDR3600&version=V1#tbl_j
Not sure if this is what you mean?
But from the help pane on IPv6 Setup tab
DaveyH
Champion

Quote from: MJN
Do you know how that other user got those logs? They could be useful to what's happening with yours.

Yep.
I wont post the whole log but  im getting
PPP INFO in pppd the hppd-id is 627, set link phase to 0xd
PPP INFO send_phase 2098 pppd_phase = 0xd
every two minutes, and probably should add i've seen those entries in the logs ever since i updated to IPv6 capable f/w (even before I attempted to config IPv6), but never used to on the older IPv4 f/w
EDIT:
Suddenly had a thougt, because the log is limited to 6 pages and 30 odd entries a page, it fill up pretty quickly with it doing the above every two mins.
So i've rebooted to drop/reconnect and flush the logs and attached screencaps below (as weirdly i cant copy/paste from the logs)
MJN
Pro

As there are no signs of any IPV6CP over PPP occurring then all bets are off to get anything else working until that's present.
Is that with DHCPv6 specified in the IPv6 Setup page? Are the logs any different with PPPoE?
DaveyH
Champion

Is that with DHCPv6 specified in the IPv6 Setup page? Are the logs any different with PPPoE?

Yep with DHCPv6 specified, haven't looked with PPPoE. Will have a go later and post logs.
MJN
Pro

What worries me a little is that as far I understand it, DHCPv6 and PPPoE aren't mutually exclusive. They are operating at different layers of the network stack, or at least for different purposes, and so it strikes me as odd that you are being asked to select either-or!
Incidentally, when you're ready to post the new logs don't just edit your last post as anyone that's subscribed to the thread and receiving update e-mail notifications won't be made aware that you've added anything.
DaveyH
Champion

Ok, so tried PPPoEv6 again, and this time there are 'call pppoeCmdReqIPv6' entries in the log, followed by some timeouts.
I wont post the entire log, as its essentially 7 pages of the same thing over and over, but ive attached the first couple
What worries me a little is that as far I understand it, DHCPv6 and PPPoE aren't mutually exclusive. They are operating at different layers of the network stack, or at least for different purposes, and so it strikes me as odd that you are being asked to select either-or!

I agree, seems really odd.

Incidentally, when you're ready to post the new logs don't just edit your last post as anyone that's subscribed to the thread and receiving update e-mail notifications won't be made aware that you've added anything.

Noted. Thanks
MJN
Pro

As you are no doubt aware, Googling around doesn't really bring up much other than the same poor chap asking about similar issues on other forums. However, the key difference with his situation is that he is at least getting as far as the PPP IPv6CP stage and creating a local IPv6 connection - it's the passing of a prefix afterwards (via RA in his case) that's causing the issue.
Just to confirm; you do have the same trial credentials in both sets of PPP authentication settings?
I have a fear you may be on a hiding to nothing with this one. There is always the option of putting something like DD-WRT on it.
DaveyH
Champion

As you are no doubt aware, Googling around doesn't really bring up much other than the same poor chap asking about similar issues on other forums. However, the key difference with his situation is that he is at least getting as far as the PPP IPv6CP stage and creating a local IPv6 connection - it's the passing of a prefix afterwards (via RA in his case) that's causing the issue.

Yep discovered that on friday, it appears its just me and him that's ever tried to setup ipv6 on it.
Just to confirm; you do have the same trial credentials in both sets of PPP authentication settings?

Yep, absolutely
I have a fear you may be on a hiding to nothing with this one. There is always the option of putting something like DD-WRT on it.

Yep i'd already come to the same conclusion tbh.
I'd already considered DD-WRT having used it on other routers before, but was rather put off by the IPv6 tutorial on the wiki.

The other option i may have is my 582N which is sitting in the cupboard, as i see Jelv has been having some luck with it, however i think he's using the ADSL version and not Fibre, so wondering if anyones had success with the fibre version?
MJN
Pro

It would be worth trying the 582N if only so that you can confirm a working setup via an external modem. It is extremely configurable too (via CLI at least), and has seemingly great support for IPv6.
DaveyH
Champion

It would be worth trying the 582N if only so that you can confirm a working setup via an external modem. It is extremely configurable too (via CLI at least), and has seemingly great support for IPv6.

OK may give it a bash tomorrow, as i've nothing to lose at this point. I'm comfortable with CLi, its IPv6 that melts my brain  Embarrassed
Any idea what version f/w supports IPv6, or does it not matter? As mines been sat in the cupboard for a year, so may need an update.
Thanks for your help and patience BTW
MJN
Pro

There's some new FW released only recently - see here.