Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6in4 IPv6 Tunnel natively on Technicolor TG582n

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: 6in4 IPv6 Tunnel natively on Technicolor TG582n

Beta testing? The IPv6 trial is now over... Tunneling is just over the standard service.
(It's worth pointing out however that during the trial we were indeed given static IP addresses but that wasn't a technical necessity as far as a 'typical' end user was concerned)
Mathew
racquel
Grafter

Hmmm, a bit of reading seems to suggest that a static IP is a Bad Thing unless you need it. And I don't need it like I don't need a v6 address beyond educational and technical interest perspective.
So I'd have to have a static IP, then pay for another service like HideMyAss to re-negate the increased likelihood of stalkers and profiling?
Quote from: Matt
Once your account is approved you'll need to apply for a static tunnel. You could apply for a Heartbeat or AYIYA but these are designed for hosts behind a NAT or with a dynamic IPv4 address, they also need special software to make them work, with these you could have IPv6 on your network but you'd need a server to manage it.

Hmmm, this looks a better option: From https://www.sixxs.net/tools/heartbeat/ I see there's not only a multi-platform client, but someone has written 10-line shell script.
Is there any reason why any of these clients (or indeed the shell script) shouldn't just sit and run on a Raspberry PI which is already connected to my router anyway?
Sign up for SixXS Heartbeat, run little shell script on PI, leave it going, keep dynamic V4 IP address.
Am I reading too much simplicity into something a bit more complex?
--Jon.
MJN
Pro

No, it is relatively straightforward as you suspect.
IPv6-over-IPv4 tunneling can work quite happily with a dynamic IPv4 address just as long as you have a method by which to update the tunnel server as your end of the tunnel 'moves around'.
Note that Sixxs is not the only tunnel provider - you might want to check out Hurricane Electric's offering too (and I'd recommend taking up their services).
racquel
Grafter

Yay! I can has teh IPV6! Thanks all, particularly Matt and MJN.
Speedtest shows 3.4mb down (about normal) 690k up (200k below normal). All the IP6 checkers confirm IPV6 too.
So... now what?! Smiley
Next stop - hurricane. See if I can get myself certified...
--Jon.
mattturner
Grafter

Congratulations! I'm glad this guide is coming in useful for a few people!  Grin
racquel
Grafter

Experiment over - I am *FURIOUS* that I wasn't warned that signing up for a fixed IP would reveal my partner's full name across the interwebs.
I've just spoken to someone who has switched me be to dynamic IP, and will be raising a ticket to refund my fiver, and I'll want one hell of an explanation.
Shame the experiment had to end so abruptly until I can get the dynamic IP script working, but revealing someone's full name in rdns (as a static IP does) is a totally unacceptable breach of data protection.
And yes, I realise I can fill in a form and wait 48 hours, and then I'll have a different IP address and have to configure the router all over again. I just can't be bothered, I'm too annoyed.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Well yes, the default rDNS for a static IP does indeed contain your account username. This issue has been discussed before in the community forum - I think it was in the feedback section.
It's possible to request a change to the rDNS to not include the account username and doesn't require you to change IP addresses.
That's RPM to you!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MJN -
Quote from: MJN
I'd suggest Hurricane Electric's Tunnel Broker service. Far better on a number of levels - they own their own equipment (no finger pointing when the POP falls over), no complicated credits system to allow you to 'buy' added features, automated tunnel creation and forums where you can openly discuss anything IPv6-related (including the tunnel service itself).

I am interested in using the Hurricane Electric tunnel,  but before I do so, can anyone who has a Hurricane Electric account, tell me the extent of the personal information that is revealed with 'WhoIs', 'Lookup', or 'Finger' ?, as the following quote from their terms seems a bit vague -
[quote=Hurricane's Terms Of Service]Hurricane will assign IP addresses to Customer based upon Regional Internet Registry (RIR) guidelines. Addresses assigned to Customer by Hurricane may only be used in association with the service under which they were assigned and only while a Hurricane Electric customer. Hurricane Electric will provide your information to the appropriate RIRs when required under RIR policy. This data may be published by the RIR in a database such as whois. Hurricane Electric will make reasonable efforts to limit the information supplied to the RIRs to that which is required by the RIR.
When I have previously signed up for various UK domain names from UK providers, as a non-business I chose to not publish my personal details, and therefore I am fairly anonymous when fingered by WhoIs.
However 'Hurricane Electric' is an American company and their rules for what personal details get registered may be different, and I am somewhat concerned about the possibility of inadvertently signing up to a service which has the potential to publish my name, address, and phone number on the internet, because of variations in domain and IP address space registrations in different jurisdictions.
MJN
Pro

Hi Purleigh,
It gets wrapped up in their /32 allocation, but does include your town, county, postcode and country. I am not aware of any verification being made by HE to actually check the accuracy of the information your provide them however.
e.g.

Mathew
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MJN -
The bit that says -

is that you ?
MJN
Pro

Yeah - I changed my response following my initial post as I didn't spot it first time around. So if you could remove that that'd be appreciated!  Smiley
I don't have any real issue with that detail, it is in a public database afterall, but there's no point me shouting it from the rooftops...  Wink
Anonymous
Not applicable

Done it  Embarrassed
MJN
Pro

No worries. It was me that posted it!
Back on topic, I think you could probably provide any details you like - they're not going to check.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm really not happy that they publish the postcode info, because if you happen to point a registered domain at the 6to4 tunnel then the 'WhoIs' lookup gives enough info for your full name and address to be deduced.  Angry
Presumably they prevent false registration information, because it says -
[quote="IPv6 Tunnel Broker"]After registering your password will be mailed to you and you can return here to activate your tunnel.
which I read as sent in the post, as opposed to emailing the info ?
MJN
Pro

That was never the case for me, although it was a few years ago so perhaps they've tightened things up since then.