Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6in4 IPv6 Tunnel natively on Technicolor TG582n

racquel
Grafter

Re: 6in4 IPv6 Tunnel natively on Technicolor TG582n

Quote from: Matt

You've definately stumbled upon a bug here! And I think it is with the Technicolor router, it shouldn't just crash!

Thank you! Someone, at last! Did you see my little video of it just rebooting over and over again once I'd initiated a download?
Are you on FTTC? If you are then there's a way around this.

No, plain old ADSL, rocking a rural 4mb connection Sad
Is anyone else having this problem? I've not seen it myself.

Could it be that the people reporting the crashes earlier in this thread are seeing the same thing?
Have you tried starting from scratch with a factory reset? You shouldn't need to to be honest and it would probably be a pain to get everything set up again.

Yes, a factory reset (hold reset button > 8 seconds) is sometimes the only thing that fixes it reliably. Although there's not much to do after that - it seems to know my details, but that reliably clears out any tunnelling settings.
I've tried the "old" router as well again, which is the one I flashed to 10.2.2.B myself following the instructions in this thread, although I'm now using the replacement one with the 10.2.2b as sent out.
I'll see about getting the latest generic firmware from Technicolor which could help.

Happy to try anything!
mattturner
Grafter

Ok, I'll set a router up and see if I can replicate this. Could you send over the exact commands you use to configure the tunnel so that I can follow them exactly?
Blank out the unique information to your connection if you like.
Thanks,
Matt
racquel
Grafter

OK, this is pretty much the first page of this thread, just compressed down and using my own details from sixxs:
:tunnel 6in4 add ifname=6in4tunnel
:tunnel 6in4 modify ifname=6in4tunnel sourceintf=Internet destination=77.75.104.XXX
:ip rtadd dst=::/0 intf=6in4tunnel
:ip ipadd intf=LocalNetwork addr=2a01:348:6:XXX::2/128
:expr add name=6in4ipv4 type=ip addr=77.75.104.XXX
:firewall rule add name 6in4 chain sink_fire action accept srcip 6in4ipv4 srcintf wan state enabled
:nat tmpladd intf=Internet type=nat protocol=ipv6 outside_addr=0.0.0.1 inside_addr=0.0.0.1 foreign_addr=77.75.104.XXX
:service system modify name=PINGv6_RESP state=enabled
:service system ifadd name PINGv6_RESP intf 6in4tunnel
:ip rt6advd ifdetach intf=LocalNetwork
:ip rt6advd pfxadd intf=LocalNetwork prefix=2a01:348:6:8XXX::/64 vltime=2592000 pltime=604800 aflag=enabled lflag=enabled
:ip rt6advd ifattach intf=LocalNetwork

Now check with a ping, and a saveall if it works.
:ping proto=ip addr=2a01:348:6:XXX::1
:ping proto=ip addr=2a00:1450:4007:804::1011
saveall

Now, when the router has completely "settled" as it were, and you've definitely got ipv6 connectivity, turn the router off. Give it a minute, then turn it back on again.
Now visit, for example: http://www.lg.com/uk/support-product/lg-W2242S# with Google Chrome on Windows, and download the pdf from halfway down the page and watch the router.
If it doesn't reset for you, I'm happy to send a Wireshark trace, or indeed video the whole of the above procedure. If it's not reproducible for you, this might get even trickier to diagnose!
racquel
Grafter

Any luck?
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

What about a specific windows version? Or does it occur in all that run Chrome?
That's RPM to you!!
racquel
Grafter

Quote from: RPMozley
What about a specific windows version? Or does it occur in all that run Chrome?

See https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,133622.msg1180272.html - specifically third post, but ignore bit about Canary - as you'll see later in the thread, it doesn't apply Smiley
racquel
Grafter

Starting to get a bit f*cked off with this router resetting lark now, to be honest. I've spent a LONG time over on the Chromium forums, and the finger is pointly squarely at the router firmware not being able to handle Chrome's "SYN" packet (whatever that is!).
But no reply from PN support. No update on the "I'll see if there's new beta firmware". No reply from Technicolor or Thomson (I never expected one).
I'm going to have to give up with ipv6 and wait until Plusnet actually get round to doing it natively. Should give me a couple of years to learn a bit more, I suppose...
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: RPMozley
Quote from: lupinehorror
is there a way to remove the ipv6 config from the router without doing a full reset?

I suppose you could back track through the commands, a bit laborious to check for each delete command but should be reversible.
Another option is to save and manually edit the config file, removing all the IPv6 specific stuff.
Just out of interest, would you want to remove the IPv6 completely or only disable it temporarily? It's very easy to disable on auto configured devices, just one command will do it.

ironically tomatousb has this very easy, I now prefer tomatousb over asuswrt now for ipv6.
On tomatousb can just disable LAN ipv6 announce which will keep ipv6 on the router itself so no PPP reset but disable it for LAN devices like pc, phone etc assuming they connected via dhcp.
Typically fully disabling ipv6 on the wan side of router will require a internet connection reset.
ashleysprigg
Dabbler

Firmware version 10.2.2.B ?
I know this thread is an old one but i'm on FTTC with firmware 10.2.5.2.FO
Is this firmware ok to use with the instructions previously posted for 6in4 tunneling?
RPMozley
Pro

Yes, I believe so. All the commands should still be valid for any of the version 10.x firmware.
Please let us know how you get on, whether you have any problems.
That's RPM to you!!
ashleysprigg
Dabbler

Well so far I have had no luck.
I have followed the instructions and altered the Ip's to my own, then I checked my router for Ipv6 connectivity and it says disabled.
I'm using the HE tunnel rather than Sixxs.
Tested by trying to connect to an Ipv6 site and couldn't connect.
Not really sure whats gone wrong.
RPMozley
Pro

Well if you're checking on the "internet connectivity" page of the router's GUI, the expected result is for it to say IPv6 disabled when using the tunnel function.
That's RPM to you!!
ashleysprigg
Dabbler

Ok i'll keep trying to see what I can come up with.
However if someone would like to see the config file and addresses I have, then maybe someone could have a look at what I may be doing wrong.
The posted results could help others.
RPMozley
Pro

As long as you don't use the tunnel end point IP where you should be using the tunnel server address, I can't see why it won't work.
If you so wish you're welcome to PM me the commands you're using, just for a check by another pair of eyes.
That's RPM to you!!
julianr

Thanks to Matt's superbly clear instructions at the top of this thread I now have ipv6 working well on FTTC through an Hurricane Electric tunnel on my TG852n router with firmware 10.2.5.2.FO.
But there was one potential issue: my Plusnet ipv4 address is dynamic, and, though the router is up continuously so it doesn't change for days at a time, I wanted to avoid manually updating the tunnel ipv4 endpoint.  Fortunately HE provides a dyn-compliant automatic update interface https://forums.he.net/index.php?topic=3153.0 so the router can do it automatically through its dynamic DNS... but it's a bit to tricky to set up so I thought I'd pass on how to do it to help others avoid frustration.
First, it can't be done directly from the router's dyndns settings as far as I can see.  HE requires an https connection and the router's dyndns doesn't seem to offer that, only http.  At least, I can't make it work.
The trick is to do it via DNS-O-Matic, run by the folks from OpenDNS.  First, set up a free account at their website http://dnsomatic.com/.
Then, on the Account page, click the Add a Service button and select Tunnelbroker from the drop-down list and fill in the entries as follows:
User ID - your HE account login name
Password - the Update Key for your tunnel, found on the Advanced tab of the tunnel information page (NOT your HE account password, unless you don't have an Update Key when it is)
Host - the fully qualified domain name of your tunnel (NOT the tunnel ID) in the form <user>-<index>.tunnel.<tunnel-server>.<datacenter>.ipv6.he.net

(Thanks to Andrew Jorgensen for this http://andrew.jorgensenfamily.us/2013/07/tunnelbroker-on-dnsomatic/)
Now, telnet into your TG528n router and modify the custom dynamic dns service:
admin=>:dyndns service modify name=custom server=updates.dnsomatic.com port=www-http request=/nic/update updateinterval=0
admin=>saveall

(don't forget the [tt]saveall[/tt]!)
Note we set the update interval to 0.  This is so we don't spam the update server; the router will trigger the dynamic dns update if the ipv4 address changes otherwise there's no need to keep updating it.
Next login to the web interface of the router and go to Toolbox=>Dynamic DNS=>Configure to set up the client:
Username - your DNS-O-Matic username
Pasword - your DNS-O-Matic password
Service - select custom from the drop-down list
Host - all.dnsomatic.com

That's it.  Reboot the router which will mean a new IPv4 address will be allocated and it will trigger a dynamic dns update.  You can check it's worked under your account at the DNS-O-Matic website.  And the great advantage of DNS-O-Matic is that it can also simultaneously update any other dynamic hosts you might have, for example, if you run a server on your home system that you access over the internet.
This is my first post to these forums so please forgive any unintended errors!
Cheers
Julian