cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

582n long term impressions

David_W
Rising Star

582n long term impressions

Well, I've been using the 582n for a while now so figure giving a longer term impression would be helpful, possibly.
My impression is that it's pretty darn good.  I have some weird issue with my broadband that I can't be bothered to continue trouble shooting, especially as fibre is due this month (hopefully, my fingers are very crossed).  The problem I'm having seems to involve SNR and my Cisco can't handle it so using the Cisco would result in having to reboot the router every 5 minutes and as it takes about 5 minutes for the Cisco to get a connection that's a lot of lost minutes!  The 582n holds the line like a trooper, I still get disconnected from the exchange but it comes up quickly and holds the line for sustained periods of time.
Attenuation seems to be lower than my Cisco (33.5) so I get faster speeds (currently connected at 13.249), wireless range seems pretty good (I can use my laptop in my bedroom which is good as my other routers can't seem to manage that with my laptop).
I do miss having more control over the router in the web interface, simple things like changing/adding DNS providers to the list, it seems to play nice with my PS Vita too, as I'm able to access the store and stuff as well as browse the internet (internet on Vita is so much better than on PSP).
I can't say I have any complaints about the router, it sits there happily chugging away doing the job it's supposed to be doing much better than a Cisco can handle, as a consumer level bit of kit it's pretty decent.
My only (major) concern is with Wireless, if you don't select a manual channel than eventually the wi-fi will stop working, but as I select a manual channel it doesn't really bother me but would be something that would need fixing before being released to the general public, though a firmware update should be able to fix it (hopefully).
I'd give the router a healthy 9/10, does the job, doesn't complain, probably perfect for the home user, would be 10/10 except for the wi-fi niggle.
2 REPLIES 2
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: 582n long term impressions

Thanks for the very useful feedback.
My impression is that it's pretty darn good

That's been my impression too from using one at home.
The features are basic compared to some routers but it does hold up well against others we've supplied in the past (IMO) and performs what it is capable of very well.
I'd agree also that it's best described as being ideal for a home user.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MrToast
Grafter

Re: 582n long term impressions

What firmware version are you using? Do PN have their own flavour to assist with service management?