shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

wondering about changeover from bt to pn

I`m on BT Option 2.... free evening and free weekend calls, plus,
withheld number,
1470 remove witheld number before dialing,

1471 last number called,
1571 answer phone service, and call return, which we don`t use, as there is a charge for it with BT....

ringback service
Edit.... forgot.....   Friends & family calls are discounted too...

Would it be advantageous for me to switch to PN phone service, bearing in mind the extra charges for the above options? Plus the backup of BT faults service.
I can`t seem to see much difference
Edit..... I forgot to mention that I pay my bill monthly by bank transfer  (on demand, so to speak)
32 REPLIES 32
nadger
Rising Star

Re: wondering about changeover from bt to pn

Free options I have with PN are 141, 1471, 1471 call return, 1471 call erasure
Word_Warrior
Grafter

As long as you avoid 0845, 0870 09( definitely) and mobiles there are no hidden costs to all intents and purposes, there is no roof on the anytime plus package (Add up the minutes allowance and it is more than a months worth.) Wish I'd done it sooner, my bill is way less than BT. I've gone for anytime plus and all services (7 I think) and apart from the fact my wife phoned me on my mobile rather than from her mobile there were no unpleasant surprises. A £20 fixed rate per month was £23 ish with 4 07 calls and one over the hour call. I reckon on my first month alone I've saved nearly £25 by switching to PN and applying a bit of dialing discipline.
Sticking my neck out here, (hope you appreciate it PN) but I suggest you go for it if only for the clearer billing!
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks Wordwarrior,  will contemplate that..... would like to hear others views and findings to confirm..... Present bill is about  £35 this month.... with £16 of that in calls  ..... made about 70 "free" calls of about 8 hours in total.... 15 to mobile cost about £4

EDIT...... just spotted this on the Plusnet page, after a check to see what broadband was good for my area.....

Broadband Phone is a VoIP service. It does not support emergency 999 or 112 calls or provide location information to the emergency services, and it may not work in the event of a broadband failure or power cut

So ..... I`m  thinking. . . . . . .
unless I can be convinced otherwise.....

Not applicable

With PN:
1470 - not sure about that because although I have number withheld, I have never used it. (Number Withheld is free).
1471 (last call)- free
1571 voicemail = £1
Ring back - £1.50
E/W = £9.99
Total= £12.49
The cost of daytime calls would need to be factored in unless you go onto Anytime.  However, these are competitive at 4.5p connection plus 3p per minute.
I have been using Anytime for over a year now and can recommend it, particularly after recently calculating how much it would cost me if I had to pay per call.  It is a big saving, and, as has been said, what I really appreciate is knowing exactly how much it will cost - no nasty surprises.  I usually add credit of a fiver every now and again to cover the cost of mobile and 08 numbers.  It lasts a good while as I use Saynoto0870 as much as possible.
Can't comment about repairs as I have had no problems. The changeover is very smooth and usually takes up to 14 days.
With regards to payment, mine is DD - not sure about PN but most companies prefer this.
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks Poppy.... will digest that against my current bill, and see how it compares  Wink
jmd
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
of about 8 hours in total.... 15 to mobile cost about £4
EDIT...... just spotted this on the Plusnet page, after a check to see what broadband was good for my area.....
Broadband Phone is a VoIP service. It does not support emergency 999 or 112 calls or provide location information to the emergency services, and it may not work in the event of a broadband failure or power cut

So ..... I`m  thinking. . . . . . .
unless I can be convinced otherwise.....

Homephone is not Broadband phone..................... I have found Homephone cheaper than BT or TalkTalk[who I was with before!]
shutter
Community Veteran

Aargh! Even more confusion........... Is there a site, similar to Uswitch, that can do a comparison for me?
where I put in all the info from my present bill, to be compared to other providers?
If not, looks as though I shall be staying with B.T. for now anyway..... I`m not in a rush.... just wanted to see how the two compare, like for like, but that seems impossible...... Cry
paulby
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
With PN:
1470 - not sure about that because although I have number withheld, I have never used it. (Number Withheld is free).
1471 (last call)- free
1571 voicemail = £1
Ring back - £1.50
E/W = £9.99
Total= £12.49

Not  quite!
Two calling features cost £2  (there are bundle savings), therefore total would be £11.99 (i.e. voicemail + ringback = £2 plus £9.99 line rental).
Edit:1470 number release *should* be free - I can't find any info on PN's web site. It should be available if you have a permanent withold on your number (i.e. not just the per call 141 withold) but I can't find anything about that either!
Not applicable

I stand corrected!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am on the 240 anytime 9.99 rate
Here are my breakdowns I hope that settles the queries and spurious answers given
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi
just to stick my 4pence worth in......  I migrated from BT Option 1. Used to be paying 70-75quid a quarter to BT, 30 of this line rental. Moved to Anytime+ for 15quid a month+1.50 caller ID. I just use some dialing sense, and not use 0845/0870 and mobiles.Works well,  Quite happy now to pay 16.50/month (49.50 quarter).  ALso I use www.saynoto0870.com to get local numbers for the rip off 0845/0870 numbers, so they dont cost me anything either.  I am saving quite alot, but this is just my perspective. Hope it helps.
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks pierre, for sharing that info.... you have given me something to do tomorrow..... Roll_eyes
Set up a spread sheet, so I can compare call charges, and the two tariffs, as PN charge for "full minutes" on calls, i.e a call for 1 minute and 1 second, would be charged at 2 minutes, plus 4.5p, compared to BT who charge per second, with no "set up fee" per call...  Not easy to do a comparison on the final total.....
I am looking at adding home phone evening & weekend to my existing broadband package, which is as near as I can get to BT option 2 ....
It will be a nice exercise, and give me something to get my brain around tomorrow.... (or the next couple of weeks ! ! !) Roll_eyes Roll_eyes

Thanks to penfold for your input too..... been number crunching but see above ! !  Roll_eyes

paulby
Grafter

compared to BT who charge per second, with no "set up fee" per call...

I think you'll find BT charge per minute and have a 6p set up fee - see the BT price list here under the headings "Duration Rounding" and "Call Set Up Fee".  Also here (note 3 at foot of page).
shutter
Community Veteran

OOOooch!  Thanks for that..... looks like this is going to be one scary spreadsheet...... Undecided Cry Lips_are_sealed